Tomas Plekanec

bobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense to base your judgement on Plekanec's last 37 games. When you're evaluating young players, there's always a time when he's going to break out, especially if he's only in his sophomore season. Just like last year, Higgins caught fire in the second half and has maintained that level of play. Young players have to break out sometime and Plekanec has done that. Right now, he is playing as himself, not above his head. He and Higgins simply took a while to find the right conditions (linemates, icetime, role...) and to get their confidence up.

What's scary is that when you look at Kostitsyn (or to a lesser extent Latendresse), he gelled into the team after only 10 or 15 career games (split up in different seasons). This is Kosty as a rookie, raw, uncomfortable and underconfident. Next season, he will most likely truly break out and show us what he's got in him, as if he hasn't already. Lapierre is another one who was called up and began to impress right away. That's tough to do.

• 4 months later...

More than meets the eye

6044_1.jpg

Tomas Plekanec’s breakout season among 2006-07 highlights for Habs

He’s soft-spoken, wears turtlenecks, skates like the wind and boasts one of the league’s most impeccably sculpted goatees. Until last season, that was the extent of what Tomas Plekanec was known for. Things have certainly changed for the speedy Czech centerman.

Go :hlogo: go!

haha it was nice reading this thread again - it's much more entertaining than those boring ones we have nowadays.

• 7 months later...

While we missed him in tonights game against the Ducks. Our powerplay was awful.

He is very valuable to this Habs team and i hope he recovers from the flu quickly.

I didn't think that it was worth starting up an new appretaition thread so i used a really old one.

Fun to read these old debates :lol: Boy, was I wrong about Pleks!! He is a legitimate #1 C, and although at this stage he would still look better as a #2 behind a real monster like Lecavalier, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of his continuing to develop until he finally becomes a genuine Pavel Datsyuk-type. A tremendous pick who has surpassed all expectations: shows you what speed, ace linemates, and most of all elite-level on-ice intelligence and commitment can do.

(On the other hand, I was right to anticipate Koivu's decline - though that took no sooth-sayer - and when I advocated signing Briere I never dreamed that he would command a 10-year deal or whatever abomination it is that Philly gave him :wacko: ).

Incidentally, I thought Grabovski looked excellent in relief of Pleks. We may have our Koivu replacement right there :blink:

Fun to read these old debates :lol: Boy, was I wrong about Pleks!! He is a legitimate #1 C, and although at this stage he would still look better as a #2 behind a real monster like Lecavalier, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of his continuing to develop until he finally becomes a genuine Pavel Datsyuk-type. A tremendous pick who has surpassed all expectations: shows you what speed, ace linemates, and most of all elite-level on-ice intelligence and commitment can do.

Yup, this is what I really like about Plex. He's developed into a great offensive player, but not at the expense of his defensive game, which we all thought would be his hallmark.

(On the other hand, I was right to anticipate Koivu's decline - though that took no sooth-sayer - and when I advocated signing Briere I never dreamed that he would command a 10-year deal or whatever abomination it is that Philly gave him :wacko: ).

Incidentally, I thought Grabovski looked excellent in relief of Pleks. We may have our Koivu replacement right there :blink:

Yeah, if what we saw against Anaheim is the real Grabs - and the weak, indecisive player who we had at the start of the season is not - then he is a potential top six centre. That would make our off-season acquisition priorities a top six winger, and a gritty third-liner (preferably a centreman, but this is not necessary with Chips and Lapierre).

Yeah, if what we saw against Anaheim is the real Grabs - and the weak, indecisive player who we had at the start of the season is not - then he is a potential top six centre. That would make our off-season acquisition priorities a top six winger, and a gritty third-liner (preferably a centreman, but this is not necessary with Chips and Lapierre).

Grabs did not rpelace Pleks though. It is to difficult to do so. Pleks is a top forward in the NHL.