Most likely Habs to score 50g in a season in next 5 seasons?

giovannicanella

Guys I have a bet with my brother...he says no habs will score 50 goals in a season in the next 5 years...My question to you all is which current habs will be the most likely to score 50 in a season for us...(LOL plz dont says samsonov...I say higgins or ryder...higgins was on pace for 50 goals before his terrible injury...) What do you guys think?

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryder definitely has it in him. Just needs a few more bounces to go his way. I think he tries to do things on his own a little too much, and this causes him to take low % shots. If he could just learn to use his team mates a little more and go to the net. He can be a 50 goal scorer.

Funny I made a bet with somebody that in the next 5 years Lats will get to 80 points. I said he will.

50 is a tough number to hit, but when guys like Blaine Stoughton have done it, anything is possible!

But if the bet is no habs...not current habs will score 50 you just never know who will make his way into the Bleu Blanc et Rouge in the next 5 years. What if that bet was made with a Shark fan who said no Shark will hit 50 in the next 5 years when Marleau was leading the team with a point per game and then Thornton came on board and Cheechoo hit 50!

5 years is a long time

Edited by Wamsley01

Chris Higgins is the most likely candidate, I would say. Guillaume Latendresse could be a big point producer down the road, but Higgins is more of a pure sniper. He will explode one of these years. 40 is within his range, but 50 may be pushing it.

I think Latendresse is the best bet, actually. But not a very good bet, as it has been said, 50 goals is quite the feat, and considering that Lafleur was the last to do it for this team...

Heh....maybe we should be asking which habs is the most likely to hit 25-30 goals in the next 5 seasons. At the rate our guys are scoring, that would be a more accurate question.

I think Latendresse is the best bet, actually. But not a very good bet, as it has been said, 50 goals is quite the feat, and considering that Lafleur was the last to do it for this team...

Have we already forgotten the great Stephane RICHER??

I'm not sure if there are many potential candidates in the system right now that are capable of this feat? Possibly Kostitsyn 'part 2'..... he has displayed the raw tools for it but he is still a long shot at this point.

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

p.s. referring to Sergei

Edited by beliveau1

Richer was the last habs to play a full season in the NHL as a teenager, I believe. He scored 21 goals, 37 points as a 19 year old. Latendresse has 17 goals, 30 points so far. But the Canadiens of 20 years ago averaged over 4 goals per game, while the current edition averages less than 3 goals per game. Lats performance is on par or better to Richer at the same age. Lafleur was still playing junior hockey at 19.

Best bet is Kosty, Lats is too slow, Higgins seems to have been a flash in the pan and Ryder probably wont be on the 1st line much longer.

I assume you are referring to the senior Kostitsyn? Just wanted to clarify that....

Andrei Kostitsyn has never scored more than 21 goals at any level yet in a single season. What on earth would make you think he can score 50 in the NHL?

He's more play maker than goal scorer - makes things happen and has good setup man written all over him.

50 goals is doubtful - possible but unlikely?

That aside, your logic is open to a certain degree of question in the sense that few players in the CHL topped 50 this season?

Only 3 players had more than 50 in the OHL, 5 in the Q and none in the WHL reached the 50 mark(in fact only 3 had 40 or more...) as far as I could determine from league stats?

I still agree on Kostitsyn though regardless of that fact.....

Edited by beliveau1

My money's on Higgins. He's a finisher, and next year I'm sure he'll be clear of the injury that still plagues him.

Richer was the last habs to play a full season in the NHL as a teenager, I believe. He scored 21 goals, 37 points as a 19 year old. Latendresse has 17 goals, 30 points so far. But the Canadiens of 20 years ago averaged over 4 goals per game, while the current edition averages less than 3 goals per game. Lats performance is on par or better to Richer at the same age. Lafleur was still playing junior hockey at 19.

Alexandre Daigle had 20 goals and 31 assists for 51 points as a 19 year old

Stephane Richer had 21 goals and 16 assists for 37 points as a 19 year old

Daigle did not score 50 goals in a season.

Alexandre Daigle had 16 goals and 21 assists for 37 points in 47 GAMES as a 20 year old for .79 PPG

Guy Lafleur had had 29 goals and 35 assists for 64 points in 73 GAMES as a 20 year old for .87 PPG

Daigle was no Guy Lafleur

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Every player is different

Edited by Wamsley01

Ah, I did. It's been so long since we've had an offensive star, that those 50g/100pts guys in the 80s are easy to forget and you think it's been longer than what it's actually been. I guess it'll be getting really bad when I start saying that Richard was the last to do it.

Alexandre Daigle had 20 goals and 31 assists for 51 points in as a 19 year old

Stephane Richer had 21 goals and 16 assists for 37 points in as a 19 year old

Daigle did not score 50 goals in a season.

Alexandre Daigle had 16 goals and 21 assists for 37 points in 47 GAMES as a 20 year old for .79 PPG

Guy Lafleur had had 29 goals and 35 assists for 64 points in 73 GAMES as a 20 year old for .87 PPG

Daigle was no Guy Lafleur

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Every player is different

Thank you! :clap: Ovechkin only had 36 goals in 151 games prior to coming to NA. How the heck did he get to be drafted 1st overall with those crappy stats? That's 8 goals per season average!

Latendresse is every bit as good a prospect as Richer was at 19, or Lafleur. The game has changed since the days when those two were coming into the NHL. Scoring is way down. I prefer Latendresse, actually, because he is a lot smarter and more mature at his age than either Richer or Lafleur were. Gui is coming into a much more difficult situation as well.

I think that Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre are the two most significant additions to the team since Eric Desjardins and Mathieu Schneider way back when. Probably more so, since Latendresse and Lapierre are both pur laine Quebecois. They complement each other perfectly and will soon become the face of Les Canadiens. The team needs an identity, and rightly or wrongly that identity has to be based on a French Canadian star or two.

Guys I have a bet with my brother...he says no habs will score 50 goals in a season in the next 5 years...My question to you all is which current habs will be the most likely to score 50 in a season for us...(LOL plz dont says samsonov...I say higgins or ryder...higgins was on pace for 50 goals before his terrible injury...) What do you guys think?

Mike

don't hold your breath. only one guy in the whole league will do it this year, and there are probably only 10-12 guys ON THE PLANET who are now capable of doing it. higinns is our best bet for 35.

Andrei Kostitsyn has never scored more than 21 goals at any level yet in a single season. What on earth would make you think he can score 50 in the NHL?

Although I don't see Kostsitsyn scoring 50 goals in the NHL either, you have to consider he had AHL-level talent setting him up too. Also, we shouldn't forget that he had a bit of tough time adapting to North American pro-hockey having never played in either the USHL/NCAA or the CHL route.

I think Kostsitsyn will benefit greatly from playing with NHL-caliber linemates, and also that his transition to the NHL will be a lot smoother than his transition to the AHL.

Edited by CerebusClone