2 man forecheck? should the habs use this tactic?

giovannicanella

Better to use a two-man forecheck imo, force turnovers and let our speedy forwards come up and maybe get some chances. As it is our attacks start with the other team set up and ready to defend. Have not watched a whole lot of games this season but that's the impression I get from following here and on streaming radio.

Last night the habs started with the 1 man fore, and seemed to switch to 2 man around halfway through the 2nd...coincidence?

If they'd played with 2 man from the beginning, they would have generated more offense from the beginning... We have GOOD forwards for a 2 man forecheck. It would fit there style perfectly. and they're fast enough to rush back if they need to help the D.

You can modify your gameplan according to who you are playing, and how the game is going. I would like it if the Habs didn't wait until they were behind in a game before they go to a more aggressive forecheck. Especially with a D like the Bruins have...pressure them and force them into mistakes, as many teams have done to the Habs. The B's don't have a strong transition game, so it worked well (in the end).

Cataclaw defines the problem perfectly. To me, Carbo's dogged preference for the 1-man forecheck reflects his skepticism about our defensive unit and our goaltending - he's nervous about allowing too much pressure on them. Fair enough. However, this system is the biggest explanation for the many games/periods this season in which the Habs have come out looking listless, uninterested, and flat. I think the 1-man forecheck simply runs against the grain of most of our forwards, who remain - despite all the hand-wringing and crappy results - a fairly talented and speedy bunch. More importantly, it also, IMHO, damages their confidence: young players should be encouraged to be defenxively responsible, but also told to go for it, that they're as good as the opposition or better, etc.. The 1-man forecheck is a system predicated on fear rather than self-belief, and I don't think that's healthy for a young club.

There's a reason why we *suddenly* look better every time we use the 2-man forecheck. We should do it more often and take our lumps on the back end.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The point of the 2 man system is the center is primarily the most responsible for back checking. That's why they will generally float around high slot and not go too deep. This allows the center to be in position to jump in the slot for a point blank one-timer. That can be dangerous and if the play is attempted it's usually a good idea for one of the two winger forecheckers to back off to deal with potential turnovers.

I like the 2 man approach but the danger as mentioned is going too deep resulting in a transition rush from our opponents. I've noticed that Carbo's system shows evidence that he wants one man deep and the other above the goal line.

I guess it all depends on the circumstances.

Carbo has been running the 1.5 man forecheck for awhile now (I don't know when he first started using it).. basically if the puck is being carried along the opposing blue line or in the neutral zone there are two forecheckers, while when it's in deep there is 1.