When will Price play?

I have always been a fan of Carey Price. and when he dominated the World juniors I thought for sure he would get to play with the Canadiens by the end of the year. But as the date moves on, his chances of playing this year are fading! When will our hot prospect get his chance?

Some of you Habsworld members are experts so I expect some answers!

Go :hlogo: !!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been a fan of Carey Price. and when he dominated the World juniors I thought for sure he would get to play with the Canadiens by the end of the year. But as the date moves on, his chances of playing this year are fading! When will our hot prospect get his chance?

Some of you Habsworld members are experts so I expect some answers!

Go :hlogo: !!

At best you will see him get called up for the Bulldog playoff run.

At best you will see him get called up for the Bulldog playoff run.

Only if the Habs are still in and Halak is still up.

IMO Price will be the likley starter for the Dogs next season and with Huet a UFA at next season's end he may get a few call ups to see what he can do in the NHL. This will allow the Canadiens to find out if Huet needs to be offered an extension. Halak will most likley be Huet's back up depending on how this season's end. The goaltending "problem" should be quite the nice one for Canadiens management.

He isn't a member of the Canadien's organization, so he can't play for them. He would have to sign a contract, and his current team, the Tri City Americans would have to be eliminated from the playoffs. They lost their first game tonight, but Price was great, giving up just one goal on 30 shots. He was named first star despite the loss. I think the Americans will probably win at least one playoff series, and I have no idea how long it would take to work out a contract. If he waits another few months, he goes back in the draft and could quite possibly go first overall.

He isn't a member of the Canadien's organization, so he can't play for them. He would have to sign a contract, and his current team, the Tri City Americans would have to be eliminated from the playoffs. They lost their first game tonight, but Price was great, giving up just one goal on 30 shots. He was named first star despite the loss. I think the Americans will probably win at least one playoff series, and I have no idea how long it would take to work out a contract. If he waits another few months, he goes back in the draft and could quite possibly go first overall.

Price is not going back in the draft, period. With the current CBA there's almost nothing to work out on entry-level contracts. A guy like Emelin could go back in the draft because he's making money in Russia and might not want to sign and come over, but top-five picks are going to be offered the rookie max and take it. If it's good enough for Crosby, I think it's good enough for Price.

How exactly would this help Price though? Because of the max rookie contract clause, he won't make any more money and could very well end up with a "Lindros reputation." I honestly don't see any benefits for Carey, unless of course he absolutely hates the Habs organization and would rather play for Philly or one of the other bottom-feeders.

Do you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby earns the same amount of money as all the other rookies who signed for "rookie max"? There is a lot of wiggle room in the CBA rules regarding entry level deals with regard to bonuses etc. Hell, Yann Danis signed a free agent contract for "rookie max" money awhile back. If it was that straightforward, all the players would sign directly after the draft on the off chance they might see some emergency recall time in the NHL and earn some quick cash while still playing primarily for their junior team.

There has to be a reason that Price is not signed nearly 2 years after he was drafted. I'm sure that teams like Philadelphia, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Phoenix, and Washington (where Carey's mentor Olaf Kolzig resides) would move mountains to get their hands on a young franchise goaltender. The Habs, not so much. Halak is the real deal. They may decide to stake their future on Jaro between the pipes and take a king's ransom for Price on draft day.

price won't play for until two years from now... i doubt that the canadiens will bring him up from hamilton except due to really dire circumstances

GO :hlogo: GO!

Do you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby earns the same amount of money as all the other rookies who signed for "rookie max"? There is a lot of wiggle room in the CBA rules regarding entry level deals with regard to bonuses etc. Hell, Yann Danis signed a free agent contract for "rookie max" money awhile back. If it was that straightforward, all the players would sign directly after the draft on the off chance they might see some emergency recall time in the NHL and earn some quick cash while still playing primarily for their junior team.

There has to be a reason that Price is not signed nearly 2 years after he was drafted. I'm sure that teams like Philadelphia, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Phoenix, and Washington (where Carey's mentor Olaf Kolzig resides) would move mountains to get their hands on a young franchise goaltender. The Habs, not so much. Halak is the real deal. They may decide to stake their future on Jaro between the pipes and take a king's ransom for Price on draft day.

Price is not going back in the draft!!!! Guaranteed

Price is not going back in the draft!!!! Guaranteed

i don't expect he will either... though i wouldn't have the gall to 'guarantee' it...

i don't expect he will either... though i wouldn't have the gall to 'guarantee' it...

When was the last time a blue chipper re-entered the draft in the guaranteed contract era?

Also add to the fact that he has a great relationship with the Canadiens.

What possible reason would he go back in the draft?

Edited by Wamsley01

When was the last time a blue chipper re-entered the draft in the guaranteed contract era?

Also add to the fact that he has a great relationship with the Canadiens.

What possible reason would he go back in the draft?

i'm not disputing the strong likelihood that he'll sign but that to 'guarantee' it is, in reality, not guarantee-able'...

i'm just splitting hairs... :P:P:P:P

i'm not disputing the strong likelihood that he'll sign but that to 'guarantee' it is, in reality, not guarantee-able'...

i'm just splitting hairs... :P:P:P:P

It will take something bizarre like huet sleeping with Carey Price's mom for him not to sign :D

It will take something bizarre like huet sleeping with Carey Price's mom for him not to sign :D

keep price in mtl and trade huet as a backup in vancouver !!

hmmm.... us frenchmen, you know... we're a randy bunch and have a high 'oo-la-la' factor...

our personal eiffel tower can be impressive and dominate the scenery... :blink::blink::blink:

so watch out for that huet hotty... keep him tied up in the bell center or else........................

hmmm.... us frenchmen, you know... we're a randy bunch and have a high 'oo-la-la' factor...

our personal eiffel tower can be impressive and dominate the scenery... :blink::blink::blink:

so watch out for that huet hotty... keep him tied up in the bell center or else........................

Did someone just mention bondage? ^_^

Canadiens won't let Price go back in the draft, but if Halak keeps playing well, and Price wants to play hardball in the negotiations, they may move him to one of the bottom teams (all of whom are suffering for a good young goaltender) in exchange for a high draft pick and other considerations. They still have Yann Danis and Michael Leighton as backup material for the future, and Chis Heino-Lindberg is playing well in Sweden. If they could get a top young forward prospect out of the draft in exchange, and possibly pick up Antoine Lafleur with a later pick, it would make sense. But the odds are still greater that Price simply signs once his junior season is over.

He will be offered the rookie max. He really has no choice but to sign for that money. He can't get more anywhere else. He'll be #1 in Hamilton next year with plenty of playing time. He and Halak will then vie for the number 1 spot after that.

When Jack Johnson signed with the Kings, it said that he would get the rookie max ($850k per season) plus bonuses that "WILL EARN HIM MILLIONS MORE". That was directly from the NHL website. So obviously there is a lot more to the top end entry level contacts than simply the rookie max. Pretty well all first rounders get $850k per season, and later picks as well, if they develop substantially between the time they were drafted and the time they sign. There had to be a reason that Carolina let Johnson go so cheaply to the Kings, and I think it was tied up in the contract he was asking for. The same could happen with Price. Montreal has a real decision to make in the next 2 months. If Halak continues to play well, do they need another top young goalie who will require a substantial signing bonus and probably some sort of gaurantees in terms of other achievable bonuses, or would they be better off to trade his rights for a position player and/or high draft pick that might be more helpful? I don't think it is nearly as straightforward as you guys want to make it out to be. If it was, he would have signed back in July of 2005.

Price will be signed with the Habs unless Halak leads the Canadiens to a Stanley Cup victory and even then he may be signed and stick around.

I do agree though that if Halak really continues to play well than Price becomes a moveable asset and one that could attract a very nice package in return.

When Jack Johnson signed with the Kings, it said that he would get the rookie max ($850k per season) plus bonuses that "WILL EARN HIM MILLIONS MORE". That was directly from the NHL website. So obviously there is a lot more to the top end entry level contacts than simply the rookie max. Pretty well all first rounders get $850k per season, and later picks as well, if they develop substantially between the time they were drafted and the time they sign. There had to be a reason that Carolina let Johnson go so cheaply to the Kings, and I think it was tied up in the contract he was asking for. The same could happen with Price. Montreal has a real decision to make in the next 2 months. If Halak continues to play well, do they need another top young goalie who will require a substantial signing bonus and probably some sort of gaurantees in terms of other achievable bonuses, or would they be better off to trade his rights for a position player and/or high draft pick that might be more helpful? I don't think it is nearly as straightforward as you guys want to make it out to be. If it was, he would have signed back in July of 2005.

Yea you can get more then the rookie max but I personally think your making too much of it. Gainey doesn't seem to sign any prospects early, not one has been signed early before their season was over. Not counting Lats being signed before the start of the season. I have no doubt that Gainey will sign Price no matter what Halak does or doesn't do. Tri City is in trouble in the playoffs, so I think we'll see soon enough if there's any problems getting him signed.

I think that it is definitely more likely than not that the signs with Montreal, but I don't think it is ironclad. The club that Price has in negotiations is waiting and reentering the draft where he would probably be the top overall pick. The club that Montreal has is that they already have a 21 year old goaltender who looks very good, has proven himself at a higher level, and earns only 450K per season, likely without any real bonus money attached. If both parties start to wave their clubs there could be an issue.

the way his team is playing(losing 3-1 in the 1st round series) price migth be hamilton bound really soon.