Today's press clips

alexstream

I think this more likely means that we can expect Gainey to investigate dealing at least one of our first round picks for current talent. Maybe the move to get the SJ pick was so that we could move our higher pick for current talent. A trade that involved a current roster player and 12th overall pick could maybe net us a very solid defenceman or forward.

for what I heard, the talent pool his very high the first half of the first round. one would think that if gainey would trade for immediate help, he would do it with his later picks (26th and/or 42nd).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for what I heard, the talent pool his very high the first half of the first round. one would think that if gainey would trade for immediate help, he would do it with his later picks (26th and/or 42nd).

I agree, but I guess it depends on who exactly is avilable.

I would move both to SJ with Perezhogin plus more for Marleau

It's nice to dream!

Edited by Habitforming

I agree, but I guess it depends on who exactly is avilable.

I would move both to SJ with Perezhogin plus more for Marleau

It's nice to dream!

It think that SJ as little to do with perezhogin but you still can dream, I think that marleau is a UFA in july !!

just looked it up, he's a ufa in 08 !!

Edited by marky_and_komi

I can see Gainey moving one of the two 1st round picks plus Chipchura and/or Perezhogin for the player(s) we need. Its just too bad that the draft is before July 1st, as we might be able to fill in a spot with a UFA instead of trading away our young'ins.

Regardless I foresee us getting both the Defensive and Offensive help that we need....Gainey seemed like he was ready to make some moves (In light of what he said about Koivu and building a Potential Championship team)

Edited by Davehab

Well, Minny traded O'Sullivan and a mid-1st for Pavol Demitra. It seems like that's what we'll have to do.

I can see Gainey moving one of the two 1st round picks plus Chipchura and/or Perezhogin for the player(s) we need. Its just too bad that the draft is before July 1st, as we might be able to fill in a spot with a UFA instead of trading away our young'ins.

when asked about bonk and johnson, Gainey said that they had young kids in hamilton that could do the job.

I think he meant guys like chipchura.

perezhogin can be a great 3rd line player but I wouldn't cry that much if he was traded for a different style player.

He said they would look to see if the guys in Hamilton are ready to take their spots. He didn't say they had no interest in them. I mean, Gainey didn't even mention Niinimaa and Aebischer, but he mentioned Bonk and Johnson. I still think Bonk will be re-signed, maybe for 1 year. We'll have tp see what happens - Gainey may very well trade our younger centers like Chipchura or Grabovski.

He said they would look to see if the guys in Hamilton are ready to take their spots. He didn't say they had no interest in them. I mean, Gainey didn't even mention Niinimaa and Aebischer, but he mentioned Bonk and Johnson. I still think Bonk will be re-signed, maybe for 1 year. We'll have tp see what happens - Gainey may very well trade our younger centers like Chipchura or Grabovski.

I agree with you. He took the 3 of them (downey, MJ and Bonk) as a group and said that he'd look in Hamilton this summer...

IMO, there are chances that Carbo asks him to re-sign Johnson... (remember how he was sometimes used on 2nd or 1st line to step in as an example of hard worker... also, he managed to get 30 pts on the 3rd line, which is pretty damn decent...)

Carbo cannot have an all rookie 3rd line for next season...

Did Gainey say "It's not fair to keep Kostitsyn when he is dominating in the AHL."? Maybe I misiterpreted since I've always advocated trading Kostitsyn to loosen the logjam at RW. :?-

"We also looked at the players we had in Hamilton and we felt that Andrei Kostitsyn was dominating at that level and deserved to be in the NHL and that (goaltender Jaroslav) Halak was leading the AHL."

This is a quote of Bob Gainey's answer(Pat Hickey's column) regarding why he made no other trades at the deadline. I think it is pretty clear that he was referring to giving Kostitsyn a chance at playing down the stretch drive, not about moving him in the summer. Moving him in the summer is another matter - personally I think it would be a bad move. People are crying for more speed, more offence and more of the firewagon style of old - this kid has the potential to bring that to the table? Time will tell if he can deliver it, but they do have to be a bit more patient. It's time now to let a few of the young guns have a chance to swim or drown.....

I hope these two aren't dealt - they have the right upside and need a chance soon. That is unless the return outweighs the future these two seem to have?

What do you expect the guy to say? He is basically interviewing for a job next year, I doubt he is going to say anything to dissuade any potential employer. Not to doubt his word. But it is a lot less intimidating for a family from Toronto to live for a year or two in Quebec than it would be for a family from Minneapolis, Vsetin, Vladivostok, or such other places. Lots of Anglo Canadian families put their kids in French Immersion classes to develop their bilingual capability. It is more of an asset to Canadians than people from other countries who already have a first language beside English.

Do you interpret that to mean that he is looking to move Kostitsyn?

He may have been mouthing the right platitudes about the team, but you don't often hear them talk about the wives and kids when you're doing that? That was an unusual sales pitch if indeed that was the case.....

Edited by beliveau1

I hope these two aren't dealt - they have the right upside and need a chance soon. That is unless the return outweighs the future these two seem to have?

They're definitely good prospects but which of Koivu, Plekanec and Lapierre do you want to see let go for one of them? And that's after letting a valuable player in Bonk walk. We also have Maxwell and White down the pipes. We're like that in every position. We're going to have to package guys together for vets eventually - there is no way we can possibly develop every good prospect we have.

Cyberpresse has an article by Rejean Tremblay entitled "Gainey n'a pas les qualités d'un directeur général."

The only reason the media is doing this is becasue they (IMO - theory) CANNOT stand that Gainey is able to resist the media. That probably irritates them to no end.

I say - "FANTASTIC AND STOP TRYING TO INFLUENCE ROSTER DECISIONS MEDIA"!

Tremblay also criticises BOb for citing Bill 101 as a stumbling block for UFA's. This is where I'm getting angry becasue it was Boivin - not Gainey who said that. :angry:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I do not think that Gainey will trade Chipchura just becuase of where he was drafted and how well he has responded to challenges in Hamilton. He really has not been put in an offensive role yet so they do not know how he will respond to that shituation.

Perezhogin I would hope he is not traded but it would not suprise me. He seems to have falen victim to the numbers game and has not got a chance on an offensive line for any length in time since the begining of his rookie season.

I do not think that Gainey will trade Chipchura just becuase of where he was drafted and how well he has responded to challenges in Hamilton. He really has not been put in an offensive role yet so they do not know how he will respond to that shituation.

Perezhogin I would hope he is not traded but it would not suprise me. He seems to have falen victim to the numbers game and has not got a chance on an offensive line for any length in time since the begining of his rookie season.

He's got potential to fit in on any line but we've gotta upgrade someoneand he seems to be the odd-man out.

Does anyone know what the "I'll talk to Kovalev" joke was that Gainey made in the press conference. I read about it, but don't have time to listen to the interview and I didn't really get what they meant in the articles when they wrote it. Can someone explain?

Obviously players could be dealt if the right player is offered - you never can rule that option out?

However the aspect of depth at all positions is more important than many fans tend to believe.

Gainey grew up in an era where depth on the farm team was an absolute must - the Voyageurs could have been a good NHL club.... so it goes without saying that this seems to be the approach he prefers. Personally I think it is the best one too. Chipchura has had a little more than a season in the AHL(including last years playoffs) and Grabovski has had just one. Given their upside it doesn't make a lot of sense to give up on them just yet. Keeping them in the system a year or two more seems more beneficial or realistic than just dealing them at this point. Depth and pressure from NHL ready prospects is one of the best motivators you can have. It also is important over the course of a season when injuries begin to set in. 82 games is a long grind and injuries are a reality.

However if the right deal comes along, which offers long term benefits, then you'd have to bet that Gainey would consider it? One must never say never.....

But this is all just speculation on our part - figuring Gainey out is indeed a challenge! This is definitely going to be an interesting and a crucial off season for the Habs. :hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

Does anyone know what the "I'll talk to Kovalev" joke was that Gainey made in the press conference. I read about it, but don't have time to listen to the interview and I didn't really get what they meant in the articles when they wrote it. Can someone explain?

some journalist ask carbo a question about kovy and carbo wanted to let it out but couldn't for obvious reasons. so gainey chipped in and said "I'll take to him" meaning more or less that he's going to kick his arse and letting him know what the teams thinks of his glorious year.

some journalist ask carbo a question about kovy and carbo wanted to let it out but couldn't for obvious reasons. so gainey chipped in and said "I'll take to him" meaning more or less that he's going to kick his arse and letting him know what the teams thinks of his glorious year.

Wait, was he saying he'd "Talk to" kovy as in speak with him; or as in speak about him, because from the explanation you just gave, it sound more like speak about rather than speak with...

Wait, was he saying he'd "Talk to" kovy as in speak with him; or as in speak about him, because from the explanation you just gave, it sound more like speak about rather than speak with...

it was meant as gainey and kovy having a man to man talk.

Well, Gainey said that the fact that Kovalev feels he did the best he could encourages him. He says that some aspects of Kovalev's game are spectacular but that he needs to work harder at others.

Obviously players could be dealt if the right player is offered - you never can rule that option out?

However the aspect of depth at all positions is more important than many fans tend to believe.

Gainey grew up in an era where depth on the farm team was an absolute must - the Voyageurs could have been a good NHL club.... so it goes without saying that this seems to be the approach he prefers. Personally I think it is the best one too. Chipchura has had a little more than a season in the AHL(including last years playoffs) and Grabovski has had just one. Given their upside it doesn't make a lot of sense to give up on them just yet. Keeping them in the system a year or two more seems more beneficial or realistic than just dealing them at this point. Depth and pressure from NHL ready prospects is one of the best motivators you can have. It also is important over the course of a season when injuries begin to set in. 82 games is a long grind and injuries are a reality.

However if the right deal comes along, which offers long term benefits, then you'd have to bet that Gainey would consider it? One must never say never.....

But this is all just speculation on our part - figuring Gainey out is indeed a challenge! This is definitely going to be an interesting and a crucial off season for the Habs. :hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

I never suggested we "give up" on anyone, but I see nothing wrong in trading a quality prospect with great potential for a quality player that can help us out now. One could argument that keeping a guy like Grabovski in an organization that has no room for him is closer to giving up on him than actually keeping him. AHL depth is great, but if a guy like Chipchura or Maxwell turns into a career farmer well, that's not a positive for having great depth, it's a disappointment. No doubt, some of our prospects will not pan out, but even then we have too many and are better off getting some NHL ready help, especially if our team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs (and ESPECIALLY if Koivu threatens to leave the next time we miss them).

Well, Gainey said that the fact that Kovalev feels he did the best he could encourages him. He says that some aspects of Kovalev's game are spectacular but that he needs to work harder at others.

I never suggested we "give up" on anyone, but I see nothing wrong in trading a quality prospect with great potential for a quality player that can help us out now. One could argument that keeping a guy like Grabovski in an organization that has no room for him is closer to giving up on him than actually keeping him. AHL depth is great, but if a guy like Chipchura or Maxwell turns into a career farmer well, that's not a positive for having great depth, it's a disappointment. No doubt, some of our prospects will not pan out, but even then we have too many and are better off getting some NHL ready help, especially if our team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs (and ESPECIALLY if Koivu threatens to leave the next time we miss them).

No I wasn't saying you said give up - that's why I didn't quote you. (sounds like a he said, she said sentence :))

I just think that one year in the system is not enough to make a consensus evaluation on players - so based my comment on that. I'm all for a deal if it can upgrade the team with more than just short range returns. However I think these 2 players bring the qualities this team needs - offensive flair and grit? From what I can see I think having these two in the system with AHL experience is better than a lot of other options. Unfortunately I get to see little of them though so can't claim to be an expert on them.... The art in stockpiling depth at the farm level is in deciding which ones to keep and which ones to turn loose? Many an NHL manager has rued the day he made just such a decision! This is going to be a crucial offseason for the Habs - lots of key decisions to make on prospects. Who goes and who stays, who makes the jump and who doesn't. It going to be a tough call for Gainey..... but it is certainly a luxury that I'm very glad the Habs are in right now. For an old fan like myself this is at long last a good feeling!

Teams sign entry level players to 3 year contracts generally, because that is the amount of time they think it will take to determine the players future. Chipchura just completed his first season, and gave no reason for the team to give up on him as yet. The prospects who will be moved are the ones on the third year of their contract. Grabovski signed a two year deal, I think, and is a couple of years older than most entry level players. He could be moved since he is 23 years old and wasn't better than younger players such as Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Chipchura and D'Agostini in the AHL.

The decision they have to make is with their RW prospects. Kovalev and Ryder have the top two spots locked up for the forseeable future. The remaining two RW come from a group that includes Latendresse, Perezhogin, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Milroy, Ferland, D'Agostini, Stewart, Mikus, Aubin and Lapierre, who looks better suited to play the wing than centre. J.T. Wyman and Ryan White will join the crowd next season. Latendresse is going nowhere, obviously, except to LW until a spot opens up perhaps. Same for Lapierre. He will play C as long as needed and do a good job there. Milroy and Ferland have no real trade value and are valuable as bubble players who set a good example in the AHL for younger prospects and can fill in at the NHL level in an emergency. D'Agostini, Aubin, Stewart, all first year pros and playing well at their level. S. Kostitsyn and Mikus likely to turn pro by next fall. Those players will all get their 3 years to show what they can do. That leaves Perezhogin, A. Kostitsyn, and Grabovski who plays RW and C. Two of those players, and possibly all three will be dealt, I think.

Teams sign entry level players to 3 year contracts generally, because that is the amount of time they think it will take to determine the players future. Chipchura just completed his first season, and gave no reason for the team to give up on him as yet. The prospects who will be moved are the ones on the third year of their contract. Grabovski signed a two year deal, I think, and is a couple of years older than most entry level players. He could be moved since he is 23 years old and wasn't better than younger players such as Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Chipchura and D'Agostini in the AHL.....

...That leaves Perezhogin, A. Kostitsyn, and Grabovski who plays RW and C. Two of those players, and possibly all three will be dealt, I think.

Agreed - the 3 year window is a pretty accurate assessment and that contract length is a result of that approach. However the arbitrary selection of an age - i.e. 23 is not necessarily a proven set of grounds for cutting loose a player? More than just that has to be factored in to a decision = there are unique situations and circumstances that need to be taken into consideration.

In Grabovski's case I think an exception can be made based on his hockey route to the AHL - given his situation he probably warrants a bit of extra time to assess. He hasn't had much exposure to the North American game so an extra year or two wouldn't necessarily hurt in his case. It is going to be a summer of tough decisions for management - but I'd rather work from a position of strength than weakness!

The other way to look at it, though, is that Grabovski is in his fifth or sixth pro season. I think he played a couple of years in the Belarussian Senior League, three years in the RSL, and now the AHL/NHL. He has had a lot of international touranment experience as well. Given his size, his style, and his age, I can't see much untapped potential there. There are dozens of free agent players in Europe who are more or less the same as Grabovski. Graduating NCAA players as well. I still think that when it all shakes out Perezhogin will play ahead of Grabovski and Kostitsyn. Alex had a tough year, but he has done more in the past and is more of a pure sniper, which is what the team needs most.

The other way to look at it, though, is that Grabovski is in his fifth or sixth pro season. I think he played a couple of years in the Belarussian Senior League, three years in the RSL, and now the AHL/NHL. He has had a lot of international touranment experience as well. Given his size, his style, and his age, I can't see much untapped potential there. There are dozens of free agent players in Europe who are more or less the same as Grabovski. Graduating NCAA players as well. I still think that when it all shakes out Perezhogin will play ahead of Grabovski and Kostitsyn. Alex had a tough year, but he has done more in the past and is more of a pure sniper, which is what the team needs most.

Right. But do you WATCH him play? He's definitely got NHL potential in him from what I've seen. He even impressed me with his offensive flair in his short stint in the NHL. He plays the same way Ovechkin does. He's fun to watch and could own with the right linemates (Kosties?).

Like I said - a lot of tough calls for Gainey this summer. It will be interesting?

However the fact is Grabovski has not had as much exposure to the North American game, culture etc, etc....

That needs to be given some consideration - personally I think it is a year too early to make a call on him.

He needs time to adjust a bit and especially to work on his defensive game.

He may be the gem they are looking for, and then he could be a bust. I'm glad it's Gainey and not me having to make these calls :)

Right. But do you WATCH him play? He's definitely got NHL potential in him from what I've seen. He even impressed me with his offensive flair in his short stint in the NHL. He plays the same way Ovechkin does. He's fun to watch and could own with the right linemates (Kosties?).

That is the potential that interests me - he has that commodity and given the right mix?????

It's too early to give up on him just yet - patience is a virtue!

I'd rather they hang on to him for a year or two before sending him off to blossom somewhere else?