Today's press clips

alexstream

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some rumors : Gainey might be stepping down ; as I said , just rumors (hockeybuzz)

Gainey said in PC he is remaining. He is also considering "remaking" the D.

Vis~a~vis; Gainey is determined to put a serious team on the ice next year :clap:

he also said that the time to get Emelin signed is running out :(

Yeah I listened to the PC.

From Gainey.

1. Samsonov asked for a trade as early as November.

2. Koivu is a champion plain and simple.

3. Kovalev needs to play better next year.

4. Bonk and Johnson will not be saught after by the Canadiens.

5. Huet is a good goalie and they are confident with him next year.

6. Halak will be at the WC and culd start for the slovaks.

7. Kostitsyn did not deserve to be in the AHL most of the season

8. He will re build the defense

9. Draft picks and prospects could be packeged to bring in a player that will help the team next season.

Also Gainey talked about FA's who do not want to come to Montreal. He said that the media does not hear about the guys the Canadiens turn away and tell them they do not "FIT US"

Edited by JMMR

Valentenko is among the 10 defensemen on the Russian WC preliminary roster. Along with Markov, Korneev, and Emelin. Heady stuff for a 19 year old fifth round draft pick. He is the youngest player on the team as far as I know. By a couple of years, probably.

edit - forgot that Semen Varlamov is on the team as the third netminder. Varlamov is youngest player on the team.

Edited by bobby

Yeah I listened to the PC.

From Gainey

1. Samsonov asked for a trade as early as November.

2. Koivu is a champion plain and simple.

3. Kovalev needs to play better next year.

5. Huet is a good goalie and they are confident with him next year.

6. Halak will be at the WC and culd start for the slovaks.

7. Kostitsyn did not deserve to be in the AHL most of the season

8. He will re build the defense

9. Draft picks and prospects could be packeged to bring in a player that will help the team next season.

Also Gainey talked about FA's who do not want to come to Montreal. He said that the media does not hear about the guys the Canadiens turn away and tell them they do not "FIT US"

Surprised a bit by the fact the will not try to keep at least one of Bonk or Johnson. Also does rebuild the D mean that he has no intention of keeping either Markov or Souray? Or does it mean he is going to try and move some of the other guys like Dandy and Bouillon? Because Komi isn't going anywhere. I think thats a given. And Streit is so versatile and cheap it makes sense to keep him around.

Surprised a bit by the fact the will not try to keep at least one of Bonk or Johnson. Also does rebuild the D mean that he has no intention of keeping either Markov or Souray? Or does it mean he is going to try and move some of the other guys like Dandy and Bouillon? Because Komi isn't going anywhere. I think thats a given. And Streit is so versatile and cheap it makes sense to keep him around.

I am not suprised at all about Bonk and Johnson.

As for the defense looks like Dandenault and Bouillon could be on thier way out. He said he will try to sign both Markov and Souray.

The way I heard it was that he would be happy to have them back, as long as he got them for a bargain. It's not so much that they are simply letting them walk, but that they won't overpay. Unfortunately, that means both will, indeed, probably walk.

It is exciting to see Boivin get involved as well. In his PC he said:

Canadiens president Pierre Boivin, in an interview with Bertrand Raymond of Le Journal de Montréal, says the club has the financial means to pursue an established NHL superstar, and intends to hunt one down this off-season.

Boivin told Raymond that before the lockout of 2004-05, the Canadiens didn't plunge into the big-money free-agent pool because the team's finances weren't solid enough.

But Boivin says now that Montreal has the means to acquire a top-flight player, and a few others who will permit the team to beef up its talent, experience, leadership and character.

The Canadiens boss did, however, speak of a few unique obstacles the team faces: taxes that are higher in Montreal than in any other NHL city, and Bill 101, the Quebec language law that insists that an incoming player's children must be educated in a French school.

I hope all the positive comments said today are a real commitment and not a bunch of hopes, dreams and wishes.

Gainey is the man. :hlogo:

What he said and how he defended Koivu cleared the deck for me. UFA's will want to come here when a GM says "champion" (aka: Hey, reporter guy - it's a stupid question) about Koivu. Free agents who are worried they will be roasted if they come to MTL might listen to the PC today and realize that there's a 5 star General who will shield them from the media, if need be. GAINEY :hlogo:

The media can't get him. :D That's a good thing. :D There will be times he'll have to beckon to media or fans displeasure. It won't happen often though.

Iron fist Gainey! In Montreal, you have to be a warrior to do GM duties. We have one. BOb! :hlogo:

I am very pumped about the mindset and the direction this team is going. Gainey restored my faith today :)

JMMR, all points that many of us fans are seeking have been spoken for today. That's why this #23 Selke cup winning master floors me time after time. Could any of us on the board have written a better list on what needs doing? Some may disagree but at the same time I hope they see that it's a good list. A rich list.

I love how with ABSOLUTE CLASS he accepts full responsibility.

I'm tired of hearing the negative Gainey threads. IMO, without him we might get REALLY lost

The Canadiens boss did, however, speak of a few unique obstacles the team faces: taxes that are higher in Montreal than in any other NHL city, and Bill 101, the Quebec language law that insists that an incoming player's children must be educated in a French school.

Those "few unique obstacles" are enormous. It is like saying that Iraq is a great place to work except for the unfortunate obstacle of a civil war at the moment. The taxes alone mean that Montreal has to pay about 25 - 30% more to match another team's offer, and the school clause means that it isn't worth it at any price for a lot of players.l When you're making the coin they are, family priorities mean a lot more than a few hundred thousand dollars.

Yeah. There's many in here who don't worry about losing BOb because of Gauthier. But who can see the future? I'm surprised we still have him. I hope Gauthier stays. But, you never know. In 5 months it might only be BOb and then what?

No more security?

It staggers me that some fans don't know a good thing when they see it.

Gainey is the man. :hlogo:

What he said and how he defended Koivu cleared the deck for me. UFA's will want to come here when a GM says "champion" (aka: Hey, reporter guy - it's a stupid question) about Koivu. Free agents who are worried they will be roasted if they come to MTL might listen to the PC today and realize that there's a 5 star General who will shield them from the media, if need be. GAINEY :hlogo:

The media can't get him. :D That's a good thing. :D There will be times he'll have to beckon to media or fans displeasure. It won't happen often though.

Iron fist Gainey! In Montreal, you have to be a warrior to do GM duties. We have one. BOb! :hlogo:

I am very pumped about the mindset and the direction this team is going. Gainey restored my faith today :)

JMMR, all points that many of us fans are seeking have been spoken for today. That's why this #23 Selke cup winning master floors me time after time. Could any of us on the board have written a better list on what needs doing? Some may disagree but at the same time I hope they see that it's a good list. A rich list.

I love how with ABSOLUTE CLASS he accepts full responsibility.

I'm tired of hearing the negative Gainey threads. IMO, without him we might get REALLY lost

Glad to see that someone finally put it all in the right words. We are very fortunate to have Bob and Guy, give them a little more time and we will talking about cup #30 not 25 . :clap: :hlogo: :D

Yeah. There's many in here who don't worry about losing BOb because of Gauthier. .

Gainey will be G.M. for a long while. This is the first time his team has missed the playoffs since the first year of his mangerial career with the now defunct Minnesota North Stars, about 15 years ago.

Edited by bobby

Those "few unique obstacles" are enormous. It is like saying that Iraq is a great place to work except for the unfortunate obstacle of a civil war at the moment. The taxes alone mean that Montreal has to pay about 25 - 30% more to match another team's offer, and the school clause means that it isn't worth it at any price for a lot of players.l When you're making the coin they are, family priorities mean a lot more than a few hundred thousand dollars.

im not completely aware of QC tax law, but it can't be 25-30% more than elsewhere..

Nice to here from the General once again. GO NEXT SEASON GO!!!

im not completely aware of QC tax law, but it can't be 25-30% more than elsewhere..

Nice to here from the General once again. GO NEXT SEASON GO!!!

Yeah it really can. There are states in the US where the income tax is dirt and it is about 50% in the QC.

Pretty sure there are no State Taxes in Florida, and a few other states south of the border. Plus the U.S. dollar is worth a U.S. dollar there. Not to mention the climate that causes pretty much any Quebecer who has the means to head there every winter.

The NHL now does make up the difference between the US and Canadian dollar.

When the players receive it, but not when they spend it. Pretty sure you get more for a dollar in almost any part of the U.S. of A. than you do in Canada.