An A for Higgins

MAK

I thought there's only 2 assistants?
I know that Kovalev and Souray split the A on home/away games.

Joe: there's no point of having a 4th liner assistant.

If he want to speak with the refs, he need to undertsand them first. I don't think Markov will ever have a letter on his jersey. I think Komi is the best choice for the A. He's a true leader on the ice and on the bench, I assume he is in the locker room too, you see him talking alot to the ref. I think Higgins will fit perfectly with the A on his jersey when Komi will be our captain.. ;)

Markov can understand and speak English fine. He's been here for at least 5 years now. The point isn't about his English, it's about the fact that he's not a talkative guy. Incredibly talented, yes, and works hard, and sees the ice well, but you need other characteristics to be a captain / assistant. He's not that guy. He keeps to himself and he's not very social and that's just fine by me. He brings lots to the table as it is.

In terms of Komi, I think he's a great guy, but I think as Saku is already a "nice" captain (aka unlikely to call out players to the media or even really talk a lot - more lead by example) I would rather go with a guy who'll speak up and say the hard, unpopular things, much like Higgs did with Kovy this week. And the emotion Komi shows on the ice that you're talking about, in my opinion, it's not always a good thing; sometimes he gets WAY too worked up and takes stupid penalties / puts the team at a disadvantage. I think Higgins is more even-tempered on the ice, and when he does say the harsh thing off it, I don't think it's just off-the-cuff; I think it's much more measured and it's a decision he's made to say these things that have consequences, and to act according to the consequences (i.e. play hard every night next year, because you can't very well call out a player for not working hard enough if you don't). He's decided that the comment about Kovy needs to be said, and if it results in him and Kovy having a conversation and airing things out, so be it. Which is a "Leader" thing to do.

In a recent interview in the Canadiens magazine.

Komisarek was quoted as saying something along the lines of since Markov's english has improved he nevr shut's up on the bench or on the ice. So if he was ready for a leadership role that would be fine with me.

Komisarek was quoted as saying something along the lines of since Markov's english has improved he nevr shut's up on the bench or on the ice. So if he was ready for a leadership role that would be fine with me.

that was my initial thought as well... apparently he's very vocal on the ice, but not much so anywhere else. Let's give him the C.

Didn't they pass a law restricting you from reproducing? ^_^

naw, it was before the law passed.

you see, so many girls were upset at my girlfriend for being pregnant from such a hunk like me that they had to vote the anti-MAK law. they were fed up of all the riot Icaused.

Even the BLoc and conservative party agreed on this one.

Again, Markov's one of my favourite players, and if could get an A, ... MAYBE. but the guy who wears the C needs to be able to talk to the players, the refs, the coaches, the media, all on a regular basis. Have you heard ppl saying Koivu's not available to talk to the media enough and knock his leadership for it? I have, and while I don't agree, the point is that Markov, who has never spoken to the media much (I think I've literally read 4 qoutes from him over the last 6 years) would be totally eaten alive by the montreal press. I think he can be a great leader in the dressing room, and on the ice he already is, but he doesn't need an A or C as a distraction. Just my humble opinion.

Off your meds again eh? ^_^

doctors told me I didn't need them anymore. they said I was now one sharp marble

I know that Kovalev and Souray split the A on home/away games.

Joe: there's no point of having a 4th liner assistant.

As long as Scott Mellanby wears a C on his jersey, an A could easily fit on Steve Begin's one.

There is no point of having a 4th liner captain, but if a 4th liner works harder than anybody on the team, then, he deserves an A, and that's the case with Bégin.

Being an A or a C means added responsabilities.

I'd wait for Higgs and Komi to have a couple more years under their belts before adding those reponsabilities on their shoulders. Let them focus on their basic game for now. When they'll show consistency over 1, 2 seasons, then give them those reponsabilities.

Markov might be an introverted guy and everything, but he's also the type who always performed better when "on a mission" (covering a star player or in the playoffs". You dont really need the A to be really talkative. Its good to have someone who can actually lead by example on the ice; something neither Rivet or Kovalev has done in recent years.

Besides, Markov is probably the only player on this team that can pretend to be even more valuable than Captain Koivu himself.

I think Higgins and Komi are definitely the 2 future Assistant captains. I don't know why, but I keep picturing Lapierre in there too. I friggen love this guy. I guess he's too much of an agitator and will never get it. Carbo got under people's skin too though, so you never know.