Ontario woman humiliated by the Georgia State Police

Pierre the Great

This is pathetic, but then again if you've ever driven through Georgia the state police have always been oppressive towards 'outsiders'. This isn't an isolated case, I'm afraid.

Ontario woman angry over Georgia strip-search

CTV.ca

"Carleton University student Cheryl Kuehn is outraged about the way she was treated by police in the state of Georgia. She says she was strip-searched and locked up for 12 hours, all for running a stop sign and speeding.

Kuehn, 23, who has just completed her master's in social work, was traveling to Florida with her husband, brother-in-law and a friend.

They had just pulled out of a restaurant parking lot along the I-95 in New Brunswick, Georgia, when Kuehn was pulled over for speeding and failing to stop at a stop sign.

When the officers learned Kuehn was a Canadian, they decided to take her into custody until she could post bail and until they could confirm with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency that she was legally allowed to be in the country.

"They basically told me that I had to go to jail and have to post bond," Kuehn told Canada AM Thursday. "I was very scared of that because I've never been pulled over in my life, so I was crying."

When she arrived at the detention centre, Kuehn was fingerprinted and ordered to strip and shower.

"They wanted me to shower and I kept trying to avoid it because I was really scared and I don't like getting undressed in front of people. But eventually, it was inevitable and I had to go and have a shower in front of someone and get this lice treatment put all over me and -- it was very humiliating,"

Kuehn was told to put on a navy blue jail outfit and sent to sleep in a cell with two other women while other inmates jeered and leered at her from adjoining cells.

"They were trying to intimidate me. And it worked," she says.

Kuehn says she was never given a proper explanation about what was happening to her and says she still doesn't quite understand why she had to endure what she did. "

Rest of the Story:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0412?hub=Canada

160_cheryl_kuehn_070412.jpg

lol yeah right, in the south if you have a 'northern' licence plate your treated with suspicion and chased out of towns. It happened to my cousins in Northern Florida.

Georgia lets 'southern' licence plates go but if you are a 'northern' licence plate they'll pull you over so fast its not even funny.

......but doesn't she look just a little bit like she could be a wiseass?

Mercans can get real pissed at wiseasses who get mouthy with sarcasm or condescension, , , then it's like "Oh, little miss smarty-pants canadian needs to be taught a lesson..."

......but doesn't she look just a little bit like she could be a wiseass?

Mercans can get real pissed at wiseasses who get mouthy with sarcasm or condescension, , , then it's like "Oh, little miss smarty-pants canadian needs to be taught a lesson..."

Yeah, from the picture in the article I got that impression as well.

This is pathetic, but then again if you've ever driven through Georgia the state police have always been oppressive towards 'outsiders'. This isn't an isolated case, I'm afraid.

Tell that to my friends whose car broke down in Georgia. The police helped them get in touch with a local repair shop, drove them to a hotel, and even stayed at the hotel until the cops knew that they were able to get a room.

Obviously I don't condone what happened and have no idea about any details not in the article. I just tire of your constant stereotypes. You frequently codemn people for the exact same thing that you are doing.

Tell that to my friends whose car broke down in Georgia. The police helped them get in touch with a local repair shop, drove them to a hotel, and even stayed at the hotel until the cops knew that they were able to get a room.

Obviously I don't condone what happened and have no idea about any details not in the article. I just tire of your constant stereotypes. You frequently codemn people for the exact same thing that you are doing.

ah, go to your local AAA place, they'll tell you this.

What am I doing wrong anyway?

Like it or not these stereotypes have truths.

Like this one. The Missouri State police are racist.

Then you look up the word racial profiling and 80% of cops say they racially profile in the state, worst in the nation.

like it or not the stereotypes usually have merit.

Then you look up the word racial profiling and 80% of cops say they racially profile in the state, worst in the nation.

Stereotypes never have merit. Is every Missouri State police officer a racist? No. Therefore, putting them all in that category is simplistic and inaccurate for starters, and furthermore insulting to every such officer who is not a racist.

There wouldn't likely be a debate if you said "some" Georgian police were against people from the north (even though that is supported only with this story and anecdotal evidence), but your credibility decreases when you come out with the easily-debunked, broad-based statements that you seem to enjoy.

Stereotypes never have merit. Is every Missouri State police officer a racist? No. Therefore, putting them all in that category is simplistic and inaccurate for starters, and furthermore insulting to every such officer who is not a racist.

There wouldn't likely be a debate if you said "some" Georgian police were against people from the north (even though that is supported only with this story and anecdotal evidence), but your credibility decreases when you come out with the easily-debunked, broad-based statements that you seem to enjoy.

drive down I-75 and don't tell me its department orders to pull over anyone who is not from the south or Georgia.

Seriously, its in the department hand book, Georgia wants to get money from the people driving to Florida so they crack down on out of state drivers.

If 85% of police stops in Missouri are racial profiled (which they are, there has been studies) that pretty much is grounds for a stereotype to take hold.

drive down I-75 and don't tell me its department orders to pull over anyone who is not from the south or Georgia.

Seriously, its in the department hand book, Georgia wants to get money from the people driving to Florida so they crack down on out of state drivers.

If 85% of police stops in Missouri are racial profiled (which they are, there has been studies) that pretty much is grounds for a stereotype to take hold.

You raise a good point. I saw a 60 minutes where they had a report that out of state residents (Canadians especially) will be targetted for speeding even if they are going a correct speed. It's a money scheme.

Somehow, I doubt it's in the department handbook. Any link?

Racial profiling: first 80%, now 85%. Anyway, I agree that this would lead to a stereotype to take hold, but that doesn't mean it should or that it's right. It's a disservice to the 15-20% who do not.

Do you not realize? By calling all Missouri State police racist, you are being racist yourself. Even if you said every policeman i nMissouri was an amazing guy - that's still being racist. So by calling these guys racist, you're being racist yourself. Now I can see your comments and deduce that all Americans or everyone from Missouri is a racist but I won't, because then I would be a racist myself and the cycle will go on forever. So I will forget the rest of your race and say you are racist, regardless of where you come from. And next time you will do the same thing and say "What am I doing wrong anyway?"

You do not seem to realize that you are basically saying that, since you live in Missouri, if you chose to become a policeman you would be more racist than you'd be if you became a doctor or an engineer, or whatever. Somehow this makes sense to you.

I guess some people never learn. :rolleyes:

uh,

what I said was that a missouri cops tend to be racist then the old stereotype keeps hold of.

Just like the typical answer around here black people= crime.

I was merely showing how a stereotype starts and why it still stays around.

:rolleyes:

Keep talking. You're tripping over your own feet.

Do you not realize? By calling all Missouri State police racist, you are being racist yourself. Even if you said every policeman i nMissouri was an amazing guy - that's still being racist. So by calling these guys racist, you're being racist yourself. Now I can see your comments and deduce that all Americans or everyone from Missouri is a racist but I won't, because then I would be a racist myself and the cycle will go on forever. So I will forget the rest of your race and say you are racist, regardless of where you come from. And next time you will do the same thing and say "What am I doing wrong anyway?"

You do not seem to realize that you are basically saying that, since you live in Missouri, if you chose to become a policeman you would be more racist than you'd be if you became a doctor or an engineer, or whatever. Somehow this makes sense to you.

I guess some people never learn. :rolleyes:

When did the law enforcement profession become a race? Prejudiced, bigoted, yeah, but not racist.

When did the law enforcement profession become a race? Prejudiced, bigoted, yeah, but not racist.

Well if this were the first time he'd ever said anything liek that than I wouldn't mind. But he targets Americans, citizens of specific states, Quebeckers, etc constantly. These are races.

Well if this were the first time he'd ever said anything liek that than I wouldn't mind. But he targets Americans, citizens of specific states, Quebeckers, etc constantly. These are races.

Actually, Quebeckers are NOT a race. Perhaps caucasian is a race, but Quebeckers aren't. It is a culture.