World Hockey Championships

RobRock

In the first minute of the first game of the Worlds in Moscow, Canadian defenceman Shea Weber (Nashville) delivered a reverse forearm to the head of German forward Yanick Seidenberg, which left him unable to regain his feet for several minutes. The hit was very, very similar to the infamous hit Richard Zednik received in the opening round series against Boston a few years ago, the only difference being that Weber was moving at top speed toward Seidenberg when he hit him. It was a wonder that Seidenberg didn't hit his head on the ice first, the force of the hit drove him onto his shoulders. I can't help but wonder if Weber had delivered the hit in an NHL game, would the recipient of the hit had his helmet fly off on impact and the outcome would have been much worse. Seidenberg never returned to the game, and neither did Weber. He got a five minute major for the hit and an automatic game misconduct, and was suspended for 3 games as a result of the hit.

Canada vs Germany

This was about as perfect an example of a no-excuse head shot as you can possibly get. The only part of Weber that made contact with Seidenberg was his arm, and it was directly to the his head. Weber came across Seidenberg's body with no attempt to deliver a legal body check on the player. And it was in the first minute of the game, so there were no scores to be settled. It was a head shot, plain and simple.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That only reinforces my resolve to NOT cheer for Canada in international events. But yeah, it was a pretty vicious hit and completely uncalled for.

Tough to don't cheer for Canada. Well we got some Doan, Bertuzzi, Weber, but we got some Sakic, Kariya, Gagné...

anyway this Championship is a pure joke. Shame on IIHF to set this during the NHL season, Shea Weber representing Canada is a result of bad decisions and many of these games suck.

Watch it, JoeLassiter! Weber is a very good hockey player. Probably the best young shutdown defenceman in the game.

Tough to don't cheer for Canada. Well we got some Doan, Bertuzzi, Weber, but we got some Sakic, Kariya, Gagné...

anyway this Championship is a pure joke. Shame on IIHF to set this during the NHL season, Shea Weber representing Canada is a result of bad decisions and many of these games suck.

Why should this tournament have to revolve around the NHL season? It's never been held in North America, though next year it's in Halifax and Quebec City. Most of the European leagues have finished their seasons, and there's 22 NHL rosters from which players can be selected. If players don't want to go or can't because of injury, then so be it. And Canada has won it enough times with "B-team" talent that the level of play can hardly be termed a joke.

Why should this tournament have to revolve around the NHL season? It's never been held in North America, though next year it's in Halifax and Quebec City. Most of the European leagues have finished their seasons, and there's 22 NHL rosters from which players can be selected. If players don't want to go or can't because of injury, then so be it. And Canada has won it enough times with "B-team" talent that the level of play can hardly be termed a joke.

I'm just saying that you can't pretend to be World Champions without beating Luongo, Hasek or Brodeur... World Cup and Olympics are the real world championship.

20 ARMSTRONG Colby F R 1.88 / 6'2'' 88 / 194 23 OCT 1982 Pittsburgh Penguins USA 27 APR 2007

4 BREWER Eric D L 1.91 / 6'3'' 100 / 220 17 APR 1979 St. Louis Blues USA 26 APR 2007

13 CAMMALLERI Mike F L 1.75 / 5'9'' 84 / 185 08 JUN 1982 Los Angeles Kings USA 26 APR 2007

25 CHIMERA Jason F L 1.88 / 6'2'' 93 / 205 02 MAY 1979 Columbus Blue Jackets USA 26 APR 2007

22 COMMODORE Mike D R 1.96 / 6'5'' 103 / 227 07 NOV 1979 Carolina Hurricanes USA 26 APR 2007

19 DOAN Shane F R 1.88 / 6'2'' 98 / 216 10 OCT 1976 Phoenix Coyotes USA 26 APR 2007

2 HAMHUIS Dan D L 1.85 / 6'1'' 91 / 201 13 DEC 1982 Nashville Predators USA 27 APR 2007

5 JACKMAN Barret D L 1.82 / 6'0'' 97 / 214 05 MAR 1981 St. Louis Blues USA 26 APR 2007

18 LOMBARDI Matthew F L 1.82 / 6'0'' 88 / 194 18 MAR 1982 Calgary Flames CAN 28 APR 2007

21 MAYERS Jamal F R 1.88 / 6'2'' 100 / 220 24 OCT 1974 St. Louis Blues USA 26 APR 2007

9 MCCLEMENT Jay F L 1.85 / 6'1'' 90 / 198 02 MAR 1983 St. Louis Blues USA 26 APR 2007

23 MURPHY Cory D R 1.75 / 5'9'' 88 / 194 13 FEB 1978 IFK Helsinki FIN 26 APR 2007

61 NASH Rick F L 1.93 / 6'4'' 98 / 216 16 JUN 1984 Columbus Blue Jackets USA 26 APR 2007

35 ROLOSON Dwayne GK L 1.85 / 6'1'' 86 / 190 12 OCT 1969 Edmonton Oilers CAN 26 APR 2007

55 SCHULTZ Nick D L 1.85 / 6'1'' 93 / 205 25 AUG 1982 Minnesota Wild USA 28 APR 2007

12 STAAL Eric F L 1.93 / 6'4'' 84 / 185 29 OCT 1984 Carolina Hurricanes USA 26 APR 2007

10 STAAL Jordan F L 1.91 / 6'3'' 93 / 205 10 SEP 1988 Pittsburgh Penguins USA 27 APR 2007

16 TOEWS Jonathan F L 1.85 / 6'1'' 90 / 198 29 APR 1988 North Dakota USA 26 APR 2007

30 WARD Cam GK L 1.85 / 6'1'' 91 / 201 29 FEB 1984 Carolina Hurricanes USA 26 APR 2007

11 WILLIAMS Justin F R 1.85 / 6'1'' 88 / 194 04 OCT 1981 Carolina Hurricanes USA 26 APR 2007

If this is Team Canada, this Championship has no reason to exist.

Watch it, JoeLassiter! Weber is a very good hockey player. Probably the best young shutdown defenceman in the game.

I think this guy looks more like Kyle McLaren than Raymond Bourque... but this is right : Yanick Seidenberg has been shotdown...

Edited by JoeLassister

Is anybody actually watching this?

I always keep an eye on it - you know sort of like you might watch your dog out of the corner of your eye to see what he's up to? B)

(but especially more so if there are some Habs prospects or roster players playing!!!! :hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo: )

Coaches are fond of saying, "He isn't that type of player" when something nasty goes down. It is dispicable. He is that kind of player, he just proved it with that hit. That hit is the kind of hit that should draw a large ban. It is not sportsmanly like. That kind of hit can seriously injure, and can jeopordize a career (Zednik, for example, was never the same player after he received his hit).

Head shots have to come to an end!

Coaches are fond of saying, "He isn't that type of player" when something nasty goes down. It is dispicable. He is that kind of player, he just proved it with that hit. That hit is the kind of hit that should draw a large ban. It is not sportsmanly like. That kind of hit can seriously injure, and can jeopordize a career (Zednik, for example, was never the same player after he received his hit).

I agree totally - there are few if any legitimate excuses for head shots.

They don't just end careers.... they can change and ruin lives forever!

:hockey: :puke: :puke: :puke: :hockey:

Well, I haven't watched any games yet seeing as only the two Canada games have been on TV, but I'm definitely keeping a close eye on it.

Here here! :clap:

I'm just saying that you can't pretend to be World Champions without beating Luongo, Hasek or Brodeur... World Cup and Olympics are the real world championship.

So are you saying that they should wait until the end of June to start the WC so that all of the players are "available?" While the talent level would go up to some extent, it wouldn't be as noticable as you think as many players would reject the offer, especially those who just finished playing in the playoffs. This year, I believe something like 20 Canadian players rejected an invitation to go play in Moscow. That's a whole team.

So while the World Championship isn't perfect, as very few things are, it's about as good as you can get if you want to have an annual tournament when the NHL lasts from September to June.

Dan Hamhuis is a very good hockey player! So is Nick Schulz and the other guys are good too. Don't underestimate them.

So are you saying that they should wait until the end of June to start the WC so that all of the players are "available?" While the talent level would go up to some extent, it wouldn't be as noticable as you think as many players would reject the offer, especially those who just finished playing in the playoffs. This year, I believe something like 20 Canadian players rejected an invitation to go play in Moscow. That's a whole team.

So while the World Championship isn't perfect, as very few things are, it's about as good as you can get if you want to have an annual tournament when the NHL lasts from September to June.

i'm not saying they'd have to wait till june, i'm just asking about the necessity and the "value" of this Championship. I prefer watch poker on tv than watch Nick Schulz representing Canada.

Dan Hamhuis is a very good hockey player! So is Nick Schulz and the other guys are good too. Don't underestimate them.

biss. Niedermayer, Pronger, Campbell... bye bye Schulz, enough said.

Isn't part of being a good Canadian hockey fan being able to be proud of who represents us no matter who Hockey Canada chooses?

I can almost guarantee Pronger or Nieds would turn the tourney down anyway. Right at the end of the NHL season, most players are too worn out to want to play hockey anymore. We should be proud of the ones that still want to answer the call, thats how Ryan Smyth became such a huge player.

Yes!

Cultural difference. In north america the World Juniors are a big thing while most europeans doesn't care. The world championships may be just a shadow of what it once was since most of the great players are in the Stanley Cup.

But a world championship is still a world championship. And that alone makes every european hockey player give their best at that tournament.

Yep, my brother and I. A couple of friends. Most of the people I know.

And like beliveau1 mentioned, keeping a close eye on players from the Canadiens' organisation.

Hockey in the blood.

It's as simple as that. ;)

:hlogo: icon12.gif:hockey: :hlogo:

Edited by mathieu30

Isn't part of being a good Canadian hockey fan being able to be proud of who represents us no matter who Hockey Canada chooses?

I can almost guarantee Pronger or Nieds would turn the tourney down anyway. Right at the end of the NHL season, most players are too worn out to want to play hockey anymore. We should be proud of the ones that still want to answer the call, thats how Ryan Smyth became such a huge player.

Proud of what Weber did ???? :puke: I can almost guarantee Pronger or Nieds wouldn't do this kind of cheap shot. They are team Canada, Weber is an NHL player at best. Ryan Smyth use to represent Canada into Olympic competition too, and yeah, he's a huge player i'd want to see in a habs jersey. Not Weber, well, not anymore...

Proud of what Weber did ???? :puke: I can almost guarantee Pronger or Nieds wouldn't do this kind of cheap shot. They are team Canada, Weber is an NHL player at best. Ryan Smyth use to represent Canada into Olympic competition too, and yeah, he's a huge player i'd want to see in a habs jersey. Not Weber, well, not anymore...

Unfortunately the reality of this tournament is the simple fact that Canada has never been able to send their very best team possible. It would be nice if we could, but that's how she goes? Unfortunately Canada has a commitment to this tournament, and is needed as we are viewed as the ultimate opponent to beat. As such we should be proud of our great Maple Leaf no matter who may wear it. Most of the time they find themselves in a no win situation, and they don't deserve to be dumped on constantly. Their commitment is for flag & country - nothing else! :can: :can: :can: :can: :can:

(But definitely not of some of the stupid or dirty incidents that go on from time to time :angry::wacko::( )

Unfortunately the reality of this tournament is the simple fact that Canada has never been able to send their very best team possible. It would be nice if we could, but that's how she goes? Unfortunately Canada has a commitment to this tournament, and is needed as we are viewed as the ultimate opponent to beat. As such we should be proud of our great Maple Leaf no matter who may wear it. Most of the time they find themselves in a no win situation, and they don't deserve to be dumped on constantly. Their commitment is for flag & country - nothing else! :can: :can: :can: :can: :can:

(But definitely not of some of the stupid or dirty incidents that go on from time to time :angry::wacko::( )

Well. Nor USA, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia has been able to send their best since mid 60's...

Well. Nor USA, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia has been able to send their best since mid 60's...

I was simply referring to the complaints about Canada's team being second rate - had nothing to do with the fact other countries are in the same boat. I'm well aware of that. The world championships in hockey need to rethink their format & the time they schedule it as it no longer stands as the best tournament, unfortunately.

My point is for people here to be proud of our team, regardless of who it is made up of.... :hockey: :can: :clap:

Exactly why this tournament shouldn't exist. Players can be injured, there is no real glory winning this because everybody know the best teams don't play there and the timing is SO BAD.

It's like scheduling Rolland-Garros and Wimbledon the same week-end. :puke:

biss. Niedermayer, Pronger, Campbell... bye bye Schulz, enough said.

If the Habs had Nick Schultz, Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis our D would be incredible. These are definitely above average players. Would they make an Olympic team? No. But be proud of them for choosing to represent Canada - had they said no, it would be even worse players.

These are the best players who wanted to play for us. Would you rather have better players who don't want to play for us? Or worse players who want to play for us? :blink:

If the Habs had Nick Schultz, Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis our D would be incredible. These are definitely above average players. Would they make an Olympic team? No. But be proud of them for choosing to represent Canada - had they said no, it would be even worse players.

These are the best players who wanted to play for us. Would you rather have better players who don't want to play for us? Or worse players who want to play for us? :blink:

I'm proud they chose to represent Canada, but i don't identify them as Team Canada. I would rather not play in that tournament myself being an NHL player like Nieds or Pronger.

I'm not taking on these guys, i'm taking on the viability and the "why do they set up an annual tournament in May?" thing.

Imagine in soccer. Rightn now, you would have a World Cup during the UEFA semi-finals. So England would be playing without : Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Crouch and John Terry.

That would never happen and i wonder why we have to watch B movies games at WC year after year.

I just hope some of our Habs players can get experience, and THEY DON'T GET INJURED SERIOUSLY.