World Hockey Championships

RobRock

Personnaly, i'd would take Canada and USA out of there and make up an EURO... but I'd prefer : International Men's Tournament For Slightly Good Ice Hockey Players Who Get Eliminated From NHL Playoffs In Good Shape And Up For Another Month Of Hockey.

:lol:

There's allready an Euro Hockey Tour.

The Isvetzia ( now called the Rossno Cup) in Russia.

Ceska Pojistovna in Czech Republic

The Karjala in Finland

Sweden Hockey Games in Sweden.

The two best teams from all the tournaments above meet each other in the Euro Hockey Tour finals. This year Sweden won over Russia.

And about the name. There is only one international hockey organization and that is the IIHF and all the national associations are member and sends best team possible, what can be done about one leauge has completley taken over? (NHL)

I see your point as well, but as long as the NHL will have all the best players ( some expectations ) we all have to live with two strong traditions living side by side.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that some put down the Worlds. That's not implied directly be anyone here but some posts may suggest some alternative might be better. Of course, the only alternative is no tourney at all.

Do you mean to tell me that all you hockey fanatics including myself would prefer less hockey to be played?

A catch 22 for us hockey fans :P

:hockey:

PS. It's a joke people

Apparently there is going to be a Champions League type tournament for the various European leagues starting either this fall or next, with games to be played concurrent with their regular seasons. I think they tried to get the Stanley Cup champions to join up for a pre-season tournament, but the league declined the invitation, so this is going forward.

If you look at it, since the NHL has opened its doors to the European players, the world championships is a much more balanced tournament in terms of team parity. Back in the 70s and early 80s, European teams were stacked with their best players because their leagues had ended their seasons and playoffs, while the best Canadian and American talent were still in the midst of theirs.

The NHL is not the only hockey bureaucracy that has a different set of standards for star players when it comes to supplementary discipline. Alex Ovechkin got ejected from Russia's game today for delivering a head shot to Switzerland's Valentin Wirtz. Ovechkin came out of the penalty box just as Wirtz was rushing the puck up the ice, and Ovechkin caught him looking in the wrong direction. By itself, the hit looked clean, with no contact with the elbow and he never left his feet. It just happened that Wirtz was low trying to control and move the puck and Ovechkin hit him square in the side of the head. But the IIHF only chose to give him a one-game suspension compared to Weber's three games. If you want to get this stuff out of the game, you can't treat players differently. Head shot equals three games, five games, whatever.

Edited by RobRock

After 40' Canada is leading Finland 3-0.

1st period

1-0, Nash (Murphy, Lombardi)

2-0, Staal (Williams, Cammalleri)

2nd period

3-0, Armstrong (Staal, Phaneuf)

I'm too, Markov get injured. Stupid WC :puke:

we just saved 500k !!

I'm sure markov will be fine and will sign within a few days :contract:

we just saved 500k !!

I'm sure markov will be fine and will sign within a few days :contract:

well with your point of vue, i guess we could sign Souray for 1 million with his wrists and shoulders surgeries... I'd better like Markov at 5 mils in a perfect shape than at 4.5 with a ######ing useless injury.

well with your point of vue, i guess we could sign Souray for 1 million with his wrists and shoulders surgeries... I'd better like Markov at 5 mils in a perfect shape than at 4.5 with a ######ing useless injury.

I was joking more than anything, joe. I, too would rather have an healthy markov even if it means more expensive.

I was joking more than anything, joe. I, too would rather have an healthy markov even if it means more expensive.

ouufff, i thought you took a walk on the dark side.

:nono:

I didn't even get to watch the game because my cable got disconnected May 1st and then my internet went on the fritz on Sunday. My luck sucks. :wall:

You wouldn't have liked it anyway. Finns got their asses kicked. :P

Nah, it really wasn't as close as 4-2 makes it look.

:(

This was totally just like the Olympics all over again. I figured Suomi probably wouldn't medal, but that they might surprise and win the bronze or something. Then they end up going all the way, only to lose the gold medal game. It's so effin' disappointing. :wall:

:(

This was totally just like the Olympics all over again. I figured Suomi probably wouldn't medal, but that they might surprise and win the bronze or something. Then they end up going all the way, only to lose the gold medal game. It's so effin' disappointing. :wall:

When Canada will not be a country club anymore, i don't think we could lose an international hockey game anymore with Crosby, Luongo and CIE.

When Canada will not be a country club anymore, i don't think we could lose an international hockey game anymore with Crosby, Luongo and CIE.

Didn't people something similar about the '98 Nagano team? :rolleyes: