Sign & Trade....

beliveau1

You sometimes hear in the NBA that teams with free agents will sign the player and trade to a team they already have a three way agreement with (i.e. player contract size, etc & a deal between the two clubs.)

Currently it seems that the Raptors may be exploring that option with Mo Peterson?

While I'm not an expert on the CBA I was just wondering if it is time for NHL managers to become more creative and make use of such an option..... :?-

Just thought I'd toss this one out for debate?

(obviously it's got pretty boring without the Habs playing.... :)

I was thinking about this a few months ago. The first player that comes to mind is Souray, if the Habs are able to sign him and then trade him to the west coast. That eliminates any chance of him signing in the East plus the Habs will get something in return for him as opposed to losing him for nothing. I'm not even sure if something like this is legal and I have my doubts, but around the trading deadline I was wondering if Souray and BG may have made a deal similiar to this one.

But then from the players perspective I guess it doesn't make any sense because you are giving up your rights to the club. I guess it comes down to a trust issue between the player and management.

I think sign-and-trades usually involve restricted free agents.

I haven't looked closely at what the NBA precedents are, so that was why I didn't say UFA's in my original post. I think Peterson is a UFA though- but not really sure? My main thought was that since the CBA and the present salary cap are an issue, then is it time for NHL managers to get more creative in how they mange their teams? However knowing the fact that this fraternity is nothing more than a narrow minded old boy's club, then this is highly unlikely..... :rolleyes:

Edited by beliveau1

Marian Hossa was the last person (if memory serves me right) that got a sign and trade. In order to do a sign and trade, all parties are pretty much involved in the contract talks. Ottawa never had any intention to sign Hossa to a 6M$ deal but they did it to trade him since Atlanta had no problem giving him that money.

I think sign-and-trades usually involve restricted free agents.

MP3 is a UFA and for a team to want him that cannot afford him (CAP) has to trade for him. Thus circumventing the cap because they could not just sign him with their cap exemption which is less $$$. On the backside they can then just trade a player they don't want to make up the cap room or just pay a luxury tax. The Knicks just pay the tax because they dont care about $$$.

This would work the same way in the NHL except that teams have dates to be within cap restrictions. (See Philadelphia flyers and NJ Devils how they play the cap.)

Sign and trades work for RFA's not so much for UFA's in the NHL. I do not believe a UFA has ever been part of a sign and trade.

Edited by JMMR

Sign and trades work for RFA's not so much for UFA's in the NHL. I do not believe a UFA has ever been part of a sign and trade.

Cool, maybe Montreal will be #1 in that department. Along with #1 in number of Stanley Cup wins!

donald audette was signed by dallas and then traded to montreal in november. thats the closest of sign and trade I know.

wasn't ribs a sign and trade? by BG ?

Ribs signed in the summer and wasn't traded until training camp was almost over.

I never understood the idea of sign and trade deals. If you're going to to trade a player's rights, why go through the motions, just trade his rights to the other team. They have to pay the contract, let them negotiate the terms. What's the benefit, for the teams and the player, of a sign and trade? Does the acquiring team avoid some penalty for exceeding the cap because they never signed him? Does the player lose because the signing team can sign him for less for cap reasons? Does the player know about the deal before he signs his contract?

It shows a lack of class to sign a player (who is signing with yuo because he enojys Montreal and likes playing for you) and then immediately trade him to a city where he may very well not want to play or live in. He's an unrestricted free agent - atleast give him the liberty to choose where he wants to move/keep his family. Personally, I wouldn't sign with a team that does this and I don't think it's a Gainey thing to do.

It shows a lack of class to sign a player (who is signing with yuo because he enojys Montreal and likes playing for you) and then immediately trade him to a city where he may very well not want to play or live in. He's an unrestricted free agent - atleast give him the liberty to choose where he wants to move/keep his family. Personally, I wouldn't sign with a team that does this and I don't think it's a Gainey thing to do.

in montreal it's sign and bench :P

Ribs is a bad example only because it has "something bad with Ribeiro happened in between the signing and trade" written all over it IMO.

I'm really worried about our RFA's

ribeiro= bad influence on latendresse.

Ribs is a bad example only because it has "something bad with Ribeiro happened in between the signing and trade" written all over it IMO.

I'm really worried about our RFA's

I am not worried about any of them really. I think Bob will not have much trouble signing Komisarek, Higgins and Plekanec.