John Ferguson passes away

Spider-Man NL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213602&hubname=

John Ferguson Sr. has passed away at the age of 68.

The five-time Stanley cup winner succumbed to his second bout with cancer on Saturday at his home in Windsor, Ontario.

''On behalf of my entire family, I'd like to thank the many friends, professional colleagues, medical personnel, and hockey fans who have supported us through this difficult time. Your expressions of sympathy have helped bring comfort to us. Your kind words have helped strengthen us.'' John Ferguson Jr. said in a statement.

''My father battled cancer with the same spirit in which he played the game of hockey. He showed courage, strength, class and tremendous character. He had deep appreciation for the support he'd received from so many people beginning with his initial diagnosis. My father's spirit will continue to live on in all of us whose lives he touched.''

As a player, Ferguson skated in 500 regular season NHL games, all with the Montreal Canadiens. He scored 145 goals and added 158 assists.

He developed a reputation as one of the toughest players in the NHL, collecting 1214 penalty minutes over his career.

Ferguson enjoyed great playoff success with the Canadiens, capturing Stanley Cup championships in 1965, 66, 68, 69 and 71. He netted 20 goals, added 18 assists and recorded 260 penalty minutes over 85 games.

Ferguson remained in hockey after his playing days were over. He spent time as both a coach and general manager for the New York Rangers and Winnipeg Jets. He also served as an assistant coach for Team Canada at the '72 Summit Series.

ferguson_small2.jpg

Edited by Spider-Man NL

This is a sad day more for the Ferguson family than us habs fans. I encourage all Habs fans that have a TSN account to leave their respects on TSN website (Account required) since the Ferguson family is in Ontario and may look at the site for fan support. (Just a suggestion)

Good Bye John Senior as I had an enormous amount of respect for you.

-Jeff

This is indeed a sad day. I knew he was in a battle, but thought like most other fights, he was going to win this one.

God bless you Fergie.

Without a lot of recognition, he helped us win many Stanley Cups.

Think I'll jump to a Leaf's site to pay mt respects.

Spider-Man NL......

Great pic. Thanks.

A fine man died today.

Edited by JeanLucPilon

I read his autobiography. The man was fearsome and tough as a boot sandwich, but was also a 20-goal scorer in an era where that meant something. And he once dumped a pitcher of beer on a teammate who, in his opinion, was not acting 'like a team player.' Perhaps the most ferocious competitor ever to wear the CH. And a 72 Series winner no less. An all-time blood-and-guts champion. RIP Fergie!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

All-time intimidator, and could play.

Gentleman, too - when the occasion called for it.

RIP Fergie, you destroyed Nesterenko so badly my uncle wrote a book about it!

From Habsinsideout.com:

"There was nothing complicated about his game. It was hit first, ask no questions later. He played to inflict pain ... to intimidate. No exceptions. Opposing players were fair game. If he happened to be a goaltender ... tough! Bam!"

"The Canadiens, with rookie Ferguson scoring 18 goals and 27 assists, failed to win the Stanley Cup for a fourth consecutive year, but they brought it home four times in the next five seasons. Ferguson scored in double-digit numbers in every season, including a career-high 29 goals in 1968-69. They won a fifth in 1970-71 - Fergy's eighth and final season."

the toughest guy to ever play the game !!!

RIP, Fergie.

ps: tell the rocket I say Hi !!!