NHL eyes possible return to ESPN2

simonus

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index...uestTimeout=900

he NHL and ESPN are in discussions about bringing the league’s games back to ESPN2 as soon as the 2008-09 season.

Sources say the conversations are happening at the highest levels and include NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and ESPN executive vice president of content John Skipper.

The move would mark a change at Versus, as well, which is open to giving up its cable exclusivity if it can tap into ESPN’s marketing prowess. Over the past two years, Versus executives have complained privately that ESPN ignored their network. They are hoping for a situation that mirrors the NBA, where ESPN and TNT push viewers to each network’s games.

Edited by simonus

I doubt NHL 2nite would be back, they were already planning on canceling it before they stopped carrying games. I like the idea of having games on both ESPN and Versus, because I like the Versus coverage and wouldn't want to lose it completely, since ESPN2 would probably show only a couple games a week, the same as Versus.

The NHL should have never left ESPN.

too true, although I have heard some versions where ESPN walked away from NHL. Even then (at least in hindsight) it would have been better for the NHL to offer an AFL-like profit share agreement with ESPN.

too true, although I have heard some versions where ESPN walked away from NHL. Even then (at least in hindsight) it would have been better for the NHL to offer an AFL-like profit share agreement with ESPN.

Or just give them the VS deal.

yes they refused to up. But the thing is I don't think Bettman figured ESPN's m.o. from then on was to make fun of and overall try to kill the sport like they have done so far.

If Bettman read up on his ESPN history he should have seen this coming. Same thing happened in Nascar after Nascar left ESPN. ESPN wasn't even allowed on the grounds of the track. :wacko: so what did ESPN do on their 'journalistic shows' (ATH, PTI) they kidded and made fun of. (Notice that's what they do today with the NHL)

Now those shows can't do enough of Nascar and even sugar coat everything (like Nascar's falling ratings).