Official MLB Playoff Thread

jetsniper

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Triumph of the Purple and Black.

A diatribe on why the Rockies can win the world series.

Disclaimer: I am a Rockies fan. Even when I was living in Michigan and Ohio, I managed to get out to a few games a year over summer vacations etc... With that in mind, I make no claim to be perfectly neutral. However, there are several compelling reasons why the Rockies are at least a slight underdog, and at most a slight favorite to win the World Series. Here are simply some reasons that the Rockies are probably better than you think, and why they have a very substantial chance to take the whole thing.

1.) The East Coast Bias (U.S. I don't know anything about Canada): In the days after the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs, the most pervasive baseball story from any media outlet wasn't the Cleveland-Boston series, it wasn't the Rockies, who had not and have not lost a game in this post-season, it was the job status of former Yankees manager Joe Torre. Granted, Torre was a compelling story, the coverage of the Yankess was overwhelming. ESPN, Fox, Yahoo!, CBS, and their cohorts love stories about the east coast (New York and Boston specifically) because some of these companies are headquartered on the east coast (ESPN in Bristol, CT), and are, at least on some level, fans of the teams that are near them. I suppose this is understndable, but its obnoxious. Just like most local sports stations, the national media have a rooting interest in east coast teams, and no other team outside of the east coast or L.A. enjoys the coverage-by-default that the Yankees, Patriots, and Red Sox enjoy. If you're a sports team outside of the east coast, especially in Denver, 600 miles from the nearest major metropolitan area, attention and respect from national media outlets must be earned; it is held jealously, and rarely given. For further evidence of this phenomenon, log onto Rob Neyer's chat on the ESPN game cast during any Rockies game. 75% of the chat has to do with teams that play in the Eastern Time Zone. I am aware that there are more people in and around New York, and it is a world-wide cultural center, but that does not justify the lack of attention and respect that is given to sports teams outside of the New England/New York area, especially when they earn and deserve it. ESPN, CBS, Yahoo!, and the like will never pick the Rockies to be a favorite over one of their hometown teams, so don't be surprised that every close call is resolved in favor of the Red Sox.

2.) The Rockies have maybe one household name: The Red Sox are an easy pick. We all know them. "Manny being Manny," "Big Papi," "The Green Monster," "the bloody sock," "Dice-k," "Tek," Jonathan "I'm more obnoxious than Eric Byrnes if you can believe it" Papelbon, and a grown man named "Coco." These are all things that even a casual sports fan is aware of. These are all people who are on the highlight reels and the headlines every day (see #1 above). The only player that might even come close to this kind of status for the Rockies is Todd Helton, formerly of "Todd and the toddlers" fame. Few people have the same recognition of Matt Holliday, Troy Tulowitzki, Brad Hawpe, and Garrett Atkins. As a result, quite reasoably, it's easier for the general public to root for Boston. We've all seen Ortiz's helmet flip or Manny's piss break in the green monster or Schill's bloody sock. For the casual baseball fan in Sarasota, Fla. or Olympia, WA, it's easy to go with the Red Sox... they know the Red Sox. The casual fan outside of Denver hasn't seen Brad Hawpe's impressively large nose, Troy Tulowitzki's infinite range or cannon arm, or the jubilant passion of Todd Helton. The casual fan hasn't seen Yorvit Torrealba's expert handling of a young pitching staff. Nor have they seen the young pitching staff. Ubaldo Jimenez? Manuel Corpas? Franklin Morales? The Rockies are easy to pass over because many of the players are unfamiliar. But look out. There's an MVP candidate (Holliday), a rookie of the year candidate (Tulo), and two potential gold gloves (Helton and Tulo.) Together, these anonymous guys are a championship caliber team. Just ask Cole Hamels, Brandon Webb, Chris Young, or Trevor Hoffman. These anonymous names are on the rise, and they have the skill and momentum to make the Red Sox yesterday's news.

3.) Momentum: Momentum is perhaps the most over-rated phenomenon in sports. But for what it's worth, the Rockies might have more mid-october momentum than any team to ever come before them. By the time the '78 Reds got to 7-0 in the playoffs, they were done. No more momentum. The Red Sox have some on their side, coming from behind 3-1 against the Indians and all, but the Rockies have been playing must win games (and winning all but one of them) since mid-september. If momentum is a big factor, and its an elusive creature, the Rockies have almost all of it... for what it's worth. 7-0 in the playoffs, and 21 of 22 is unheard of. Momentum cuts in favor of the Rockies.

4.) The Rockies have kept active: The last team to have a break of 6 days or more (the Tigers last year), was flat in the World Series. However, the two teams before them ('04 White Sox and '95 Braves) with similar rest won the World Series. No other teams in the Wild Card era have had similar breaks. What can we gather? Well... nothing. History doesn't pull one way or the other, but might lean in favor of the Rockies. The rest may have a positive or negative effect on the Rockies. Perhaps the most vulnerable aspect of their game will be the hitters' timing, but the Rockies have demonstrated more patience at the plate than any other NL team not playing in Citizen's Bank Park (the Phillies), so the chance of the Rockies having a difficult time catching up to live playoff pitching is at least reduced. The Rockies have played simulated games and been on the field consistently, making sure that each player avoids too much rest. In doing so, the Rockies have done their best to minimize the rust of an 8-day layoff. I'm not saying it will have no negative effect, it might, but the Rockies have done everything in their power to keep the rust to a minimum. A fully rested (if not over-rested on 6 days rest) Josh Beckett will take any trace of rust and have a party with it. Any rust will be shown early, but the Rockies have made all the right moves to stay sharp and avoid any rust at all.

5.) Speed kills: Willy Taveras and Kaz Matsui are probably the quickest 1-2 duo who don't wear royal blue (Mets and Dodgers). Willy Taveras had way more infield hits than any other player, and he played in less than 100 games. Kaz Matsui has been a playoff hulk, with a back-breaking grand slam against the Phils and showing aptitude in the leadoff role before Taveras returned. The top of the Rockies lineup presents a problem for opposing pitching right from the start. If either gets to first, they're likely to make it to second, and neither is an easy out on the base paths. Run manufacturing is never easier than when you have speed aboard the bases and Holliday or Helton at the dish. The Blake Street Bombers are a distant memory, and the Rockies lineup allows for small ball to be very effective. The Oakland A's and Art Howe are wondering what they were missing. Maybe it was too much Eric Byrnes and not enough speed at the top of the lineup (no disrespect Ricky Henderson, but you're older than baseball itself.)

6.) Home Field Advantage: Nobody in the national media has a rational understanding of Coors Field. Somehow, according to ESPN (specifically Steve Phillips), the light, thin, almost non-existent air helps Rockies hitters (and potentially prevents Holliday from being MVP), but the humidor is to blame for the Rockies improved pitching. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Either the light air helps all batters and hurts all pitchers, or the humidor has the reverse effect. The real deal is that the thin air of altitude has very little effect on how baseball is played. At the same time, the humidor has made the Coors Field game more like the game at any other ballpak in MLB. What's more, the national media loves to ignore the fact that Coors Field is the deepest ballpark in the major leagues, and the park that surrendered the most home runs this season was Jimmy Rollins home field, Citizen's Bank Park. The playing field is perfectly level at Coors. The humidor and the deep outfield account for the slight effect that the light air has. Now, why is this section called "home field advantage?" Because Coors Field has a spacious outfield, and Fenway does not. Because Fenway has a giant wall in left field, and Coors Field does not. Manny Ramirez (and Kevin Youkilis, if he's placed in RF) will have no easy time covering all of that ground in the outfield that Holliday, Taveras, and Hawpe are so used to covering. Getting to all of the fly balls in left at fenway is double-A defense compared to covering the spacious ground at Coors. Now, playing the bounces off the monster is an art-form by itself, but it's a lot easier to hit a triple in the corner at Coors over Manny than it is to hit a triple that bounces off the monster over Hollidays head and bounces most of the way back to the infield. Less is more if you're Man-Ram. What's more, the Rockeis will not be star struck by Fenway or intimidated by the fans breathing down their necks, as they were there in June, and dealt with the touristy stuff (and took 2 of 3, outscoring the Sox 20-5 in the series.)

6.5) Home Field Advantage (caused by the American League): Perhaps the most compelling home-field advantage is that the AL pitchers have to hit in Coors Field. Putting these guys at the plate is 3-4 very easy outs for the Rockies, even easier than NL pitchers, which are mostly easy outs. Not to mention that the Rockies at Fenway will be able to plug the only hole in their lineup 1-9. Some of the Sox pitchers have hitting experience, but not enough to not be dead in the water. The Rockies pitchers have been hitting all year, so they can deal with the added physical demands, and are not as easy outs as the AL pitchers.

7.) The Rockies Pound Right Handed Pitching: Before Wakefield was lopped off the roster, there was no lefty starter in the Boston rotation. Brad Hawpe, Kaz Matsui (despite being a switch hitter), and Todd Helton all struggle against lefties. The lack of them on Boston's starting staff or in the bullpen plays in the Rockies' favor. The righties are still intimidating, no doubt. However, the fact that they are not intimidating lefties is an advantage for the Rockies' hitters. Wakefield may have been the second most intimidating pitcher in that rotation for the Rockies because...

8.) The Red Sox Rotation is More Bark than Bite: Josh Beckett might be the best AL pitcher, especially in October. He's all bite. No doubt. But the Rockies have beaten him once, so it's possible. Not likely, but possible. As for the rest: serviceable. Schilling is not the dominating force he once was. He has to paint corners and get calls to be dominant now. He used to be able to get by on pure skill. As he has gotten older, his dominance has faded. The Rockies beat him back in June too, so confidence will not be an issue. Dice-K is inconsistent on the best days. He won game 7 against Cleveland because of a Cleveland power outage that started in game 5, and an offensive onslaught thanks to his offense. This Lester guy is the only lefty, so that cuts in his favor, but he is nothing more than the Rockies have seen (and beaten) in the past month. He may be a fine pitcher, but it takes more than a fine pitcher to beat these Rockies. See the list of pitchers in #2.

9.) The Rockies Pitching Staff is More Bite than Bark: Like I said earlier, nobody's heard of these pitchers. Nobody on ESPN will tell you about them. Nobody will give them credit. Francis won 17 games, and is one of the best leftied in the NL (look out Papi). The British Columbia native has outdueled Brandon Webb, Chris Young, and others. Ubaldo Jimenez can throw the ball 98 mph with movement into the 6th and 7th innings... that's all I need to say about him. Josh Fogg's nickname is Dragon Slayer because of some of the great pitchers he has dueled with and beaten. In all fairness, Fogg has some control issues, and is no more intimidating than Schilling or Dice-K or Lester. The guy just finds ways to win. Aaron Cook is a total question mark... that's just how that is. Herges and Franklin Morales are good for middle relief, providing both a righty and lefty threat, and Fuentes (another lefty) is a decent setup man, while Corpas has been lights out, with only 1 exception over the last 22 games. The pen may not be as good as the Sox's, but they're no laughing matter. They aren't the Phillies' pen, after all. Nobody has heard of these guys, but it's not because they can't compete, it's because they're young. They aren't the big names, that's for sure.

10.) Defense wins championships: Somehow, this has managed to elude everyone, but this Rockies team, the '07 Colorado Rockies, are the best defensive team in the history of baseball. Not the best in the NL, not the best in the majors this year, but the best in MLB ever. I'll repeat that: The greatest defensive team in MLB history. The outfielders get good reads on fly-balls, the in-field's only limitations are Torrealba's slow move to catch potential stolen bases, and Atkin's slightly limited range. The old saying goes that "defense wins championships," and these Rockies have the BEST... DEFENSE... EVER. This team will not beat itself, and as a result, it will be much more difficult for the Red Sox to do so. The Cleveland Indians threw at least one game out the window with defensive ineptitude. The Rockies cannot be relied upon to do the same.

What does this mean? The Rockies have all the ingredients. They have an awesome 1-2 punch, a frightening heart of the order, and 7-9 hitters who have proven their quality in the clutch (Seth Smith's RBI double in game 4 against the D-backs was hit in the 9 hole). The pitching is top-rate, but doesn't get top billing because of their geographical location. The Red Sox have the tradition and the names that have gotten more mentions on Sportscenter. The tradition the Rockies have is beating the Red Sox 2 out of 3, with the lone loss coming to now-irrelevant Tim Wakefield. This is not to take anything at all away from the Boston Red Sox. The BoSox may very well still be the favorite in this series (their regular season record is the strongest indicator), but the Rockies are no welcome mat. The Rockies have a very legitimate chance to win this series, and given recent history, it would be foolish to think that the Red Sox will tear through the Rockies like the Rockies are the Indians with a 2 game series lead.

Rockies in 6.

At an hour and a half, this is the longest I have ever spent authoring an HW post. I'm tired. Good night.

Go Rockies!!!!! (Jets is a double-dipping, Colorado/Boston tweener bum!!! :clap: The sound of his sobbing after the total destruction of the Red Sox will be musical to me!) :lol:

I'm kidding, Jets knows it. Don't go KoZed on my a$$ and ban me. lol. :wacko:.......... Kidding again.

1.) The East Coast Bias: Yahoo!

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain Yahoo! is based in California and is thus not a part of the East Coast bias.

2.) The Rockies have maybe one household name:

Hmm, is "Tek" Jason Varitek? Haven't heard that one before. Anyways, that's one of the things I love about fantasy baseball, I learn about so many more players than I would otherwise. I've known about guys like Atkins, Holliday, and Hawpe before they even broke into the majors, in my constant quest for the next big thing. I feel that fantasy sports is a great way to learn about every team in the league, in any sport. It's one reason I convinced two friends to join my hockey league, hoping it'd help them learn the league better.

3.) Momentum: Momentum is perhaps the most over-rated phenomenon in sports.

Haha, I think momentum can be pretty important, but the Cincinnati Reds could be just the team to prove your statement. They couldn't build off a big win if they had hammers and nails.

P.S. I nominate Mils' post for "Longest Post in HW History" haha

Hmm, is "Tek" Jason Varitek? Haven't heard that one before.

He does have it written on his chest protector.

Tek is pretty common vernacular amongst Boston fans and players; I don't know how much that nickname is used outside of Boston.

Boston is a GREAT team this year and consistant from day 1. I actually like the Yankees more than the BoSox which does not say much as both teams screw up the league with their spending. However, one cannot complain in regards to watching all star teams play.

If this was a normal East west world series I would root for Bosox as I like many players on the team. this year is different as I have a feeling that the obnoxious (not all, just the overboard) Boston fans are about to be humbled with their domination predictions.

Colorado has their snow shoes ready for their first home game, however I believe Boston will be practicing on the Bruins Ice before leaving for Colorado. :rolleyes:

He does have it written on his chest protector.

Tek is pretty common vernacular amongst Boston fans and players; I don't know how much that nickname is used outside of Boston.

You know, I somehow managed to miss that all the way till Game 7 of the ALCS and they interviewed Varitek. Although it's not like they show a lot of Red Sox games in Calgary, I get to see 5 a year if I'm lucky. Following baseball here sucks.

You know, I somehow managed to miss that all the way till Game 7 of the ALCS and they interviewed Varitek. Although it's not like they show a lot of Red Sox games in Calgary, I get to see 5 a year if I'm lucky. Following baseball here sucks.

mlb.tv dude. One of my best purchases every year. IMO the premium package is totally worth it. You can get a 700kbs or 1.5mbps feed (if your connection is good enough). I often run the feed to my TV via my desktop and it comes in at pretty much standard TV quality. Also, I sometimes use the Mosaic feature on my laptop for scoreboard watching, which runs 6 feeds at once. Mosaic uses a swarming feature, much like BitTorrent, which allows you to share the feeds within your home network to save bandwidth space. Sometimes my friends and I will all have our mosaics running in the apartment.. pretty cool. The swarming comes in really handy at school during boring classes. All us baseball fans run our Mosaics and keep a chat window open to play-by-play the game.

Boston is a GREAT team this year and consistant from day 1. I actually like the Yankees more than the BoSox which does not say much as both teams screw up the league with their spending. However, one cannot complain in regards to watching all star teams play.

If this was a normal East west world series I would root for Bosox as I like many players on the team. this year is different as I have a feeling that the obnoxious (not all, just the overboard) Boston fans are about to be humbled with their domination predictions.

Colorado has their snow shoes ready for their first home game, however I believe Boston will be practicing on the Bruins Ice before leaving for Colorado. :rolleyes:

Just so you know, as a rabid BoSox fan, I too can get frustrated by many boston fans... especially the ones who seem to not realize the team existed before 2004. I came to the Sox in 1998 when Pedro came over. I had just moved to Massachusetts and figured that if it was good enough for Pedro, it was good enough for me. Also, the fanaticism in New England is insanely contagious. I didn't have too much heartbreak before 2004 (although 2003 just about dropped me to the ground), but it still irks me when sox fans boast about being Goliath. Sure the Sox are a huge market team with a second to one payroll, but that isn't something to boast about. As a sox fanboy I feel obliged to note that the difference in payroll between the Yankees(1) and Red Sox(2) is as big as the difference in payroll between the Red Sox(2) and the Giants (11). Sox are still huge, but it is not an equivalent advantage.

BTW - I like the fact that my team spends its revenue on players. There is little reason why the Cubs couldn't do the same. The Cubs spend over $10m less than the White Sox albeit being far bigger draw.

EDIT: before I get called out, I should probably note that the team salaries I calc'ed does not include minor league salaries or posting fees. Many teams, notably Minnesota and Pittsburgh, are unable or unwilling to pay for high calibre draft picks. Teams like the Sox and Yankees are, though baseball prospects are ironically some of the most difficult prospects to project. See Craig Hansen. This does give the Sox and Yanks (and other big market teams) an advantage not reflected in salary figs. Also notable: the white sox and cubs generally avoid high priced draftees despite the financial ability to take them.

Posting is a relatively new phenomenon to baseball. In order to be financially honest, though, one must amortize the posting fee for the life of the posted player's contract (I guarantee thats what the team accountants do). Taking that into account, one should add about $9m to the Sox payroll for the next 6 years (Matsuzaka), $5m to the Yanks for the next five years (Igawa), $1.3m to the Devil Rays for the next 3 years (Iwamura). Suzuki's posting has already been amortized. This will probably become a bigger issue in the years to come.

Edited by Fanpuck33

mlb.tv dude. One of my best purchases every year. IMO the premium package is totally worth it. You can get a 700kbs or 1.5mbps feed (if your connection is good enough). I often run the feed to my TV via my desktop and it comes in at pretty much standard TV quality. Also, I sometimes use the Mosaic feature on my laptop for scoreboard watching, which runs 6 feeds at once. Mosaic uses a swarming feature, much like BitTorrent, which allows you to share the feeds within your home network to save bandwidth space. Sometimes my friends and I will all have our mosaics running in the apartment.. pretty cool. The swarming comes in really handy at school during boring classes. All us baseball fans run our Mosaics and keep a chat window open to play-by-play the game.

That does sound pretty sweet, I will admit I've thought about it. My only worry is this computer is a piece of crap so I'd imagine the feed would be pretty laggy. Although like you said, running it through to my TV might fix that. I'll definitely be looking into it once I get my own TV.

I came to the Sox in 1998 when Pedro came over.

Haha, same reason as me. I was a diehard Marlin's fan before that and when management decided to blow the team up after the World Series win in 1997, I left them out of disgust. Pedro was always my favorite with Montreal and my sister was a Boston fan because of Clemens so when the two combined around the same time I was disgusted with my team, the resulting effect was a diehard Red Sox fan.

I still keep track of the Marlins though. I was ecstatic for their World Series win in 2003 and I still think they gave Girardi a raw deal. Blowing up that championship team was disgusting too but obviously I was happy to see Beckett come over to the Red Sox. I think I basically got a Beckett jersey ASAP.

C'mon... are you seriously saying this? Wake up.... it's ok... it's sunny out!!

It snowed once on sunday. Maybe 2 inches accumulated in the shade, none accumulated on the streets. Here's what you (and most others) don't understand about Colorado.

- I am sitting in my apt., 10 minutes from downtown Denver, and it is (at 12:26 p.m. on Wednesday) 68 degrees fahrenheit (20 C) and sunny right now.

- There is not a shred of snow on the ground anywhere within 5 miles of Coors Field. Colorado's weather is prone to these extreme variation thanks to the mountains.

- There are more sunny days here than anywhere else in the country not called California. (200 - 250 days of sun a year.)

- Unlike the midwest and the east coast, when it snows in Colorado, it doesn't stick around for a long time. It melts and evaporates. (Right now, the humidity in Denver is 22%, while it's 83% in Boston.) In Ohio or Michigan or Boston, if it snows on sunday, the snow stays on the ground, turns all balck and gray and nasty, and 2 weeks later it finally goes away. Not so in Colorado. It is beautiful here this week, and there is no snow in the forecast for games 3, 4, or 5. Nor is there any hanging around.

So, the Sox can pack their snowshoes and practice at.... the Fleet Center? (Where do the Bruins play now?), but it won't do them much good. They should be looking for the sunshine and mild weather.

(Turns out the selective vision goes full circle, as it appears more likely that the lousy weather will be in Boston. But it's okay, the Rockies will bring their rain gear and rubber boots. Maybe they should practice at the Olympic Size pool down here at Denver University.)

strike up that humidifier!

Rockies will be Champions!

I'll let you all make the call yourselves.

Today, in Denver, it's 68 F (20 C), and 22% humidity.

The humidor is kept at a steady 70 F (21 C), and 50% humidity.

Unfair advantage? I think not. It's been exaggerated.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl...ors_N.htm?csp=1

Geez Mils, so defensive over weather, haha.

I agree with jetsniper, it was just a small joke that Americans use on Canadians. You know, do we live in igloos, how do we control the polar bears and "Wheres your toque eh? :rolleyes:

It got down to 5 degrees celcius(41 Fahrenheit) here last night so I know what is next in store for us in Ontario. :o

Colorado is a great city, after all the Avalanche rule there! (I know Broncos too)

lol.

I've got such an inferiority complex about this series, it's scary. :wacko:

:lol:

I can tell. I just want to see some good baseball, I think this will be a great series. I was joking about Sox in 4 before, this is gonna be tight. I think I'm one of the few Sox fans who have been watching the Rockies before the playoffs started, I always keep an eye on the other Colorado teams. I've got a soft spot for the Broncos too. So I know these guys are for real and not to take them lightly.

I see the series going down like this:

Game 1: Red Sox

Game 2: Red Sox

Game 3: Rockies

Game 4: Red Sox

Game 5: Rockies

Game 6: Red Sox

No specific reasons, just a hunch.

Wow 13 runs.

This series was over before it begun.

This would seem to be the indication. But luckily for me and the Rox, one game isn't the series. Hopefully the Rockies will rebound in game 2.

The Rockies have been outpitched. (3 walks with the bases drunk? SERIOUSLY?!!!)

The Rockies have been outhit.

The Rockies have failed to get key outs, especially with two out.

The Rockies defense has not been at its best.

The Rockies have gotten out-managed.

It' the bottom of 6 as I write this, and I'm already looking ahead to game 2, hopefully the Rockies are doing the same.

All of the Red Sox supporters have been exactly right in game 1.

I've got no excuse or defense for this one.

Go Rockies.

ugly, i cant even watch anymore.

by the way Jets, i got probably 25-30 sox games this year by simply having all four sportsnets and Fox. Sox get so many national games and Snet usually plays either the Sox or the Yanks when the Jays are not on.

Oooh, thats right, I think Sportsnet East shows them a lot. I get the odd Sox/Jays game during the regular season and then maybe 1 or 2 nights when they play Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, I think Sportsnet relays that feed every Sunday.

I'm definitely going to have to look into other options for Sox coverage once I get my own place, what I get right now is brutal. Thats why I love it when they make the playoffs, I get to see them more then than in the regular season.

I won't put a lot of stake in tonights game, we walked over Cleveland in Game 1 too. The Rockies won 21 of 22 for a reason, they're gonna have a lot of hunger in Game 2. Not that tonight is over, it's baseball, anything can happen.