Aebischer on waivers

JoeLassister

I was really shocked another NHL team actually signed him in the summer.

Why? He's not a bad goalie. When he's on, he's fantastic. His problem is simply consistency. He was excellent for us in October, December, and January, but awful in November, March, and April. He's fine as a backup goalie.

Turns out that Theo-Aebi trade was a lose lose.

Except the Avs are still losing, the Habs got decent production and then replaced him with Price.

When has Phoenix ever proven to be a capable franchise though?

when they were in freaking winnipeg!!

still your argument doesn't make aebischer any better.

Except the Avs are still losing, the Habs got decent production and then replaced him with Price.

That deal was to create cap room so you could sign a big name free agent. Who was that free agent?

Oh right, Sergei Samsonov.

when they were in freaking winnipeg!!

still your argument doesn't make aebischer any better.

I'm just saying Phoenix has never shown how to run a hockey franchise properly so it's not worth putting a lot of stake by decisions they make.

Aebischer can still play in the NHL, he's proved it many times.

Being placed on waivers isn't always a death sentence, hopefully Aebi rebounds like his rebounds of last year... at 100 km/h.

Surprisingly news, given his stats weren't too bad, and he'd only played 1 game. Maybe he'll follow Belfour overseas.

Now known as Hamrlik. I think we won the trade.

Oh please, you can't use a free agent period two seasons later. You also let go Sourary and dumped Samsonov, signing Hamrlik wasn't affected at all by dealing Theodore.

No one won the deal, no matter how bad Habs fans want to say they did.

Oh please, you can't use a free agent period two seasons later. You also let go Sourary and dumped Samsonov, signing Hamrlik wasn't affected at all by dealing Theodore.

No one won the deal, no matter how bad Habs fans want to say they did.

Why not? If Theodore were still on the team, that'd be 5.333 million off the cap. Habs are 2.5 million under the cap. Assume we still have Theodore, meaning Price is in the minors, and the Habs are over the cap, meaning they would not be able to ice the team we have now. Even if they'd have bought him out, they'd still be over the cap with the current team. Sure, Souray and Samsonov leaving opened up quite a bit of room, but not having Theodore's 5.333 cap hit is still huge to not have on the books.

Why not? If Theodore were still on the team, that'd be 5.333 million off the cap. Habs are 2.5 million under the cap. Assume we still have Theodore, meaning Price is in the minors, and the Habs are over the cap, meaning they would not be able to ice the team we have now. Even if they'd have bought him out, they'd still be over the cap with the current team. Sure, Souray and Samsonov leaving opened up quite a bit of room, but not having Theodore's 5.333 cap hit is still huge to not have on the books.

Well sure, players come and go but the situation you describe can be attributed to any team. When Theodore was dealt for Aebischer, not one person said it was to sign a defenceman a year and a bit from now. Signing Hamrlik was directly effected by letting Souray go. Hamrlik wasn't signed to improve the team, he was signed to take Souray's spot. Samsonv was signed the next offseason after the trade and was looked at to improve the team. Effectively, the trade was Theodore for Samsonov and Aebischer.

Thats about as close to lose/lose as you can get. And we still managed to lure Ryan Smyth and Scott Hannan so it's not like Theodore's cap hit is having a huge impact on our roster to where we're losing more then the Habs are in the deal.

Well sure, players come and go but the situation you describe can be attributed to any team. When Theodore was dealt for Aebischer, not one person said it was to sign a defenceman a year and a bit from now. Signing Hamrlik was directly effected by letting Souray go. Hamrlik wasn't signed to improve the team, he was signed to take Souray's spot. Samsonv was signed the next offseason after the trade and was looked at to improve the team. Effectively, the trade was Theodore for Samsonov and Aebischer.

Thats about as close to lose/lose as you can get. And we still managed to lure Ryan Smyth and Scott Hannan so it's not like Theodore's cap hit is having a huge impact on our roster to where we're losing more then the Habs are in the deal.

Ok, how about the Habs won the trade and the Avs didn't lose it? Haha. Any time you can dump a gross contract on bad player without buying him out can be considered a win, no matter what comes of the players they get back in the trade. Montreal is a better team for ridding themselves of that contract. That's a win. Colorado is not a better team for having Theodore on the team at 5.3 million a year. That's either a loss or a draw.

I just think that until Theodore's contract is up, the trade still has a significant effect on the current Habs roster. I agree that the Hamrlik signing was directly affected by trading Samsonov and Souray leaving, but it was also indirectly affected by this trade. With Theodore still around or bought out, they wouldn't have even been able to make a decent offer to either Souray or Hamrlik. Not having that contract allowed us to compete for both guys.

I don't understand why these Avs fans could possibly think that they won the trade in any measure. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Sure, if Theodore was actually doing anything of value, then they won, but he hasn't. As Fanpuck mentioned, if a team can dump a ridiculous contract (for a useless player) on a team for a much-lower one, it's a win for the team. It's done all the time in basketball, I think. They trade overpaid washouts for players with expiring contracts, in other words they trade for cap room.

It didn't help Montreal much either mind you, since as well all know Aebischer was not good, but it saved so much cap room (regardless of what they decided to do with it).

As well, it eliminated his disruptive influence. Can you picture Montreal today with Huet, Theodore and Price on the same roster? It's not possible. The Canadiens had to move Theodore, and the fact they were able to do it without taking on big time contracts or buying him out means it was pure genius by Gainey. I'm hardly a believer that all Gainey does is fantastic, but this move was.

That deal was to create cap room so you could sign a big name free agent. Who was that free agent?

Oh right, Sergei Samsonov.

The most important part of that deal was not about opening up capspace, but more about getting rid of a player who was destroying the atmosphere of our team, involved in scandal after scandal, and was not helped by the fact that he was being paid over 5 million dollars to be the worst goalie in the league.

Out of everyone in the entire league, Theodore is the absolute last person I would have wanted on our team so getting anything at all in return was incredible by Gainey.

Theodore hasn't been as terrible for the Avalanche, probably because the intense media pressure is not there and he is not the franchise player he was supposed to be in Montreal. He's not in the spotlight anymore and I believe that, other than sucking, the last noteworthy controversy he's been involved in has been hooking up with Paris Hilton, which was a long time ago. So for the Avs it turned out "okay" but the Habs definitely came out of that trade as winners, whether Colorado lost or not.

Nobody here is saying that...

Oh no, well I am not referring to particular ones on this board. I've seen opinions on other forums that inexplicably thought that way, though. And I remember the claims that this was Patrick Roy all over again.

Ok, how about the Habs won the trade and the Avs didn't lose it? Haha. Any time you can dump a gross contract on bad player without buying him out can be considered a win, no matter what comes of the players they get back in the trade. Montreal is a better team for ridding themselves of that contract. That's a win. Colorado is not a better team for having Theodore on the team at 5.3 million a year. That's either a loss or a draw.

I just think that until Theodore's contract is up, the trade still has a significant effect on the current Habs roster. I agree that the Hamrlik signing was directly affected by trading Samsonov and Souray leaving, but it was also indirectly affected by this trade. With Theodore still around or bought out, they wouldn't have even been able to make a decent offer to either Souray or Hamrlik. Not having that contract allowed us to compete for both guys.

Fair enough.

The most important part of that deal was not about opening up capspace, but more about getting rid of a player who was destroying the atmosphere of our team, involved in scandal after scandal, and was not helped by the fact that he was being paid over 5 million dollars to be the worst goalie in the league.

I seem to remember the #1 comment from Habs fans when the deal went down was the cap space it opened up to go get a center in free agency. I know there were a few others that mentioned the Habs were better without his presence but the cap space was the most mentioned thing. *shrugs*

Oh no, well I am not referring to particular ones on this board. I've seen opinions on other forums that inexplicably thought that way, though. And I remember the claims that this was Patrick Roy all over again.

Yeah, theres still weirdos on the Avs board that think we stole Theo or something. Mind you, Aebischer had many haters from Avs fans as well so quite a few think just losing Aebischer was good enough.

About the only compliment I can give Theodore is since that Paris Hilton nonsense, he hasn't been a locker-room disruptance and has proven to be a real team player. Either he's realized he isn't the same goalie he was pre-lockout or he's matured but he was one of Budaj's biggest supporters during our run at the end of the season last year. His cap hit hasn't had too much of a negative influence on the team either and his numbers have been better since he left Montreal, he's probably just an average backup at this point.

If he could take a substantial cut, I'd have no problems seeing him return to the Avalanche in the future. I'm sure theres a team out there willing to take a chance on him as their starter in free agency though.