Perezhogin Suspended One Year!

Fanpuck33_

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=82287

To summarize, Alex took a full, overhead swing at the face of a player on his knees. I finally saw it, and it is absolutely horrible. He sent the guy into convulsions.

Damnit, you were supposed to be in the NHL next year.

[Edited on 5-1-04 by Fanpuck33]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a clip I recorded myself (quality is crap, but I'd like to see you find a better version at this moment).

I don't have a place to upload it, though.

OMG what is he thinking? He should infact never be allowed to play in North America again.. that's just plain stupid, he could have killed him..

impressive brain cramps...

Perezhogin is an outstanding human being and doesn't deserve this. It's all the other teams fault. They didn't have their tough guy out there. It wasn't Hogin's fault, it was the stick maker. The guy was relased from hospital, so he is just faking it to get him suspended. It's all a conspiracy. THe government is out to get me.

How do like my Don Cherry impression?

[Edited on 2004/5/1 by Leafs Suck]

ok I just saw it... here's what happened IMO after having watched it in slow-mo a dozen times:

- the D-man crushes Perez to the ice in front of the net

- while the D man stands over him, Perez squeezes his legs together on one of the D-man's legs to make him fall down... which he does

- the D-man didn't appreciate it so while sitting on the ice his leg still being held by Perez THE D-MAN takes a swing at Perezhogin's head... hitting him on the top of the visor or just above the visor on the helmet (hard to say)

- That's when Perezhogin loses it, retaliates in kind... gets up and turns around swinging

- When the swing is started the D-man has his back turned, he's on all fours getting up himself... so the stick is headed for the back of his helmet, but he turns around JUST as the stick makes impact and gets it right in the face.

I think what will help Perezhogin in his defence, even if there's never an excuse for this, it that:

- this was a reaction, crime of passion type play... aka no premeditation

- the other player swung at his head first

- stick was intended for back of helmet, guy turned into it at last second

I'm not defending his actions, but he didn't just come out of nowhere and slashed someone in the face.

He was himself slashed in the face/helmet first.. then reacted in kind, and the slash was meant for the helmet and not face.

He did not intend to cripple the guy, just whack him on the helmet as the other player had just done to him.

And if like Perezhogin Garrett Stafford was wearing a shield... then Stafford would be no more injured than Perezhogin was when he hit him with his stick.

Now if Perezhogin is made out to be some kind of monster and Garrett some poor victim... it'll be a gross distortion of what happened.

But I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen here.

I wish he hadn't replied in kind like that, but I'm a lot less critical of Perezhogin now that I've seen the circumstances in which it happened.

The other is just as guilty, and he did it first... Perezhogin was just reacting in kind.

[Edited on 1-5-04 by Habs77]

I've seen the play and it is just about as bad as i thought it would be. Perez should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs and some of next year, but he definetely shouldnt be banned from hockey as some have suggested.

I also think that if Stafford had a visor, it would be nothing more than another Belak-type incident.

Perezhogin suspended indefinitely

TSN.ca Staff/CP Files

5/1/2004

Montreal Canadiens' prospect Alexander Perezhogin has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the American Hockey League after a stick swinging incident in Hamilton on Friday night. The league will likey hand down a more definitive punishment on Monday after further reviewing the incident.

Criminal charges are also a possibility.

Cleveland Barons defenceman Garrett Stafford was taken to hospital after Perezhogin hit him in the head with a baseball-style swing of his stick. Stafford lay bleeding and convulsing on the ice after the hit. He was taken to hospital where he was treated for a grade three concussion and facial lacerations. Stafford was later released and was scheduled to head back to Cleveland.

``I've been doing hockey my whole life and I've never seen anything like it,'' said enraged Barons coach Roy Sommer, who talked about an NHL incident in 2000 when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the head with his stick.

``That makes the McSorley-Brashear thing look like girl scouts.''

Sommer said he hopes Perezhogin is punished to the full extent possible.

``I don't think this guy should ever play again in North America,'' he said. ``That's a travesty.

``I saw it on tape ... and it's even worse on tape.''

To be fair, the tape also shows that Perezoghin's swing may have been in made retaliation. During the play in question, Stafford and Perezoghin fell to the ice in front of the net. While rolling over to get up, Stafford appeared to take a swing at Perezhogin with his stick. Stafford's stick missed Perezhogin, flashing just over his head. Perezhogin then turned and swung his stick at Stafford.

He didn't miss.

Hamilton police Staff Sgt. Mike Campbell confirmed he had sent an investigator to Copps Coliseum to investigate. This does not mean that a complaint has been filed, or that charges will be laid, Campbell said.

In March, Vancouver Canucks player Todd Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the NHL regular season and playoffs for attacking Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore from behind.

Vancouver police have finished their investigation in that case and it is now up to the Crown to decide whether to lay charges.

Perezhogin was the Canadiens' first round pick, 25th overall, in the 2001 draft. He signed a three-year deal with Montreal in 2003 and was assigned to Hamilton for his first year of pro hockey in North America. In 77 games with the Bulldogs, he scored 23 goals and 27 assists for 50 points. He also had 52 penalty minutes.

The 20-year-old Russian is considered to be one of the Canadiens' top prospects.

Stafford, a 24-year-old from Los Angeles, is also playing his first professional season after signing a free agent deal with the San Jose Sharks following four standout years with the University of New Hampshire.

The defenceman had an excellent rookie year in Cleveland, scoring 12 goals and 34 assists for 46 points. He had 71 penalty minutes. Stafford was named as a member of the AHL All-Rookie Team and the AHL Second All-Star Team. The Los Angeles, California native also appeared in the 2004 Pepsi AHL All-Star Game and was named the January AHL Rookie of the Month.

poor guy. truly dont know what he was thinking, and i dont think he meant to do that much damage.....but it happened and theres nothing he can do about it. hes a great player.

I think that hogin didnt mean to hit him in the head completely. I know he took a nasty swing at him with his stick, but the guy was on all fours and hogin swung as he was turing around. Either way it was dirty, but i think it didn't have to be this bad.

I don't care if it was retaliation or if he didn't mean to hit him in the face. This is very serious. He took a very hard swing and the guy's head. That was intentional. I could not care less that Alex got hit first, you can't go around swinging at guys heads, espeacilly when you swing that hard. I felt sick when I saw it on Sportscenter. There is no room in hockey for this crap. I hope I never see Alex in a Habs uniform. I had really high hopes for this guy too. Now he just ruined them.

The hit was almost idenical to Wade Belak's chop on Vaananen. He got only 8 games. Not making excuses for Hogin, but why should Belak got off basically scot free and Perez get lynched?

This was a bad incident, but it's not the worst I've ever seen.

With the way officalls call playoff games, it doesn't suprise me this happened. They put their whistles away and allow hacking and slashing to go on. It creates frustration and well someone is gonna lose their cool. Hogin did and it's too bad. I don't think he meant to hurt him. I think he made a mistake. He should pay for it, no doubt, but to "jeopardize" his career is ludicurios.

I've saw a guy banned from the ECHL for a hit that was no less vicious than this one.

It doesn't help that this comes not too far after the Bertuzzi hit. Hockey doesn't need all this bad press. Perezhogin is an idiot. You don't retaliate by trying to take a guy's head off.

You can't see it well their, but I've seen on replays on TV that the guy swung his stick are Perezhogin's head FIRST. Sorry but if some wanker swings his stick at my head, I am gonna do it right back. Sucks that he got injuried, but he is no victim.

The fact buddy swung his stick at Hogin's head FIRST should play a huge factor in the suspension length.

I hope he takes the suspension however long it may be and then returns to hockey and fulfills his potential and becomes a star of the habs. This was very ugly but he doesnt deserve to be banned for alltime.

The "he started it defence" is not a justification for his actions...it shows that there was no premeditation to the action. This doesn't mean that what he did was any less wrong, but is something that should be considered when dolling out suspensions.

It's why the courts have varying degrees of murder and manslaughter.

The fact that it was an immediate retaliation shows that there was no thought put into his actions. While Zhog deserves a significant suspention for his actions he in no way deserves to be banned.

I also believe that the other guy should receive a suspension for his instigation of this incident. The intent of Stafford was the same as Zhogs and was made worse by the fact that there was nothing to instigate that attack. The only difference is that he didn't connect...do you punish a players intentions or simply the results?? I believe it has to be a balance of both...Zhog should get a stiff suspension and Stafford a little less so. It would also go a long way into limiting any further "retaliation" tactics by either team in the future.