Holliday got screwed

Mils

Unbelievable.

Holliday dominates almost all of the important statistical categories, had 7 assists from left field, only 3 errors, and is the heart and soul of the second best team in the National League as of the end of the regular season. He got screwed.

It seems that his biggest fault was not playing east of the Mississippi River. :puke:

Holliday was the MVP

Tulowitzki was the Rookie of the Year (He dominated Braun in everything but HR's)

Tulowitzki deserved a gold glove (Just look at the stats, it's eye-popping. How does the best defense in major league history not have a gold glover?)

Helton deserved a gold glove (Derrek Lee? Seriously? C'mon.)

The Rockies just had a second place year I guess...

2nd in the World Series

2nd in R.O.Y voting :puke:

2nd in MVP voting :puke:

2nd in the National League

2nd in the NL west

3rd in manager of the year

They'll be back. And they won't get any national respect doing it.

And it'll chap my ass every step of the way. :puke:

[/complaining]

I agree that I would have voted for Holliday instead of Rollins, and Rollins playing for the Phillies probably has a lot to do with it. I also think that baseball writers are (stupidly) infatuated with stolen bases and give disproportionate credit to rollins for playing a harder defensive position.

But yeah, Rollins getting the award is a joke.

Unbelievable.

Holliday dominates almost all of the important statistical categories, had 7 assists from left field, only 3 errors, and is the heart and soul of the second best team in the National League as of the end of the regular season. He got screwed.

It seems that his biggest fault was not playing east of the Mississippi River. :puke:

Holliday was the MVP

Tulowitzki was the Rookie of the Year (He dominated Braun in everything but HR's)

Tulowitzki deserved a gold glove (Just look at the stats, it's eye-popping. How does the best defense in major league history not have a gold glover?)

Helton deserved a gold glove (Derrek Lee? Seriously? C'mon.)

The Rockies just had a second place year I guess...

2nd in the World Series

2nd in R.O.Y voting :puke:

2nd in MVP voting :puke:

2nd in the National League

2nd in the NL west

3rd in manager of the year

They'll be back. And they won't get any national respect doing it.

[/complaining]

sorry, I don't follow cricket

I though that Holiday had secured the MVP after the head first slide that got the Rockies into the playoffs. (Even though he never touched home plate)

hey now, don't dis my lovely mercury filled river, what did it do to you.

The Great Miami river in southern Ohio is nastier. And i'm sure the Cuyahoga is worse too. Beautiful American rivers. We take such excellent care of them.

i disagree. There's a reason why you can't eat catfish out of the misssissippi river. lol

the best though is when somebody committed suicide in downtown by driving into the river. Well the next day while they were searching for the van, they thought they found the van in question, but it turned out to be the wrong car. :lol:

Lip balm. Smear it thick. Maybe you can create an industry and repackage it.

"Ass Balm"

Don't ever let them chap your ass again.

(by Mennen)

Rollins lead in just about every stat there is in baseball, why wouldn't he win MVP?

Excuse me? Would you care to look at the stats before you say that?

Hits: Holliday had 216 to Rollins' 212, and Holliday had 80 fewer at bats, leading to:

Batting Average: Holliday was .340, Rollin was .296

On base percentage: Holliday wins .406 to .344

Slugging percentage: Holliday wins .607 to .531

Runs + RBI: Since Rollins is a leadoff hitter and Holliday bats cleanup, I'll add these categories to make it fair to both in the comparison. Holliday had 120 runs and 157 RBI, for a total of 277. Rollins had 139 runs and 94 RBI, more a total of 233. So Rollins had more runs, Holliday had more RBI, which is expected. But adding them together, it's clear that many more runs were produced by Holliday.

Homers: Holliday wins 36 to 30.

Stolen Bases: Finally, a category that Rollins wins, 41 to 11. But let's face it, 10+ steals isn't half bad for a cleanup hitter.

Fielding: Of the three big defensive categories (fielding percentage, ranger factor, and zone rating), Rollins is top 5 at his position in only fielding percentage. Holliday is top 5 at his position in all three of the categories. Another win for Holliday.

So, care to take back your statement now?

Excuse me? Would you care to look at the stats before you say that?

Hits: Holliday had 216 to Rollins' 212, and Holliday had 80 fewer at bats, leading to:

Batting Average: Holliday was .340, Rollin was .296

On base percentage: Holliday wins .406 to .344

Slugging percentage: Holliday wins .607 to .531

Runs + RBI: Since Rollins is a leadoff hitter and Holliday bats cleanup, I'll add these categories to make it fair to both in the comparison. Holliday had 120 runs and 157 RBI, for a total of 277. Rollins had 139 runs and 94 RBI, more a total of 233. So Rollins had more runs, Holliday had more RBI, which is expected. But adding them together, it's clear that many more runs were produced by Holliday.

Homers: Holliday wins 36 to 30.

Stolen Bases: Finally, a category that Rollins wins, 41 to 11. But let's face it, 10+ steals isn't half bad for a cleanup hitter.

Fielding: Of the three big defensive categories (fielding percentage, ranger factor, and zone rating), Rollins is top 5 at his position in only fielding percentage. Holliday is top 5 at his position in all three of the categories. Another win for Holliday.

So, care to take back your statement now?

He became the first player in big league history with 200 hits, 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 stolen bases in the same season. His 380 total bases established an NL record for shortstops.

Rollins also excelled in the field, committing just 11 errors at a premium defensive position. His .985 fielding percentage led NL shortstops.

He became the first player in big league history with 200 hits, 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 stolen bases in the same season. His 380 total bases established an NL record for shortstops.

Rollins also excelled in the field, committing just 11 errors at a premium defensive position. His .985 fielding percentage led NL shortstops.

Big deal. Brandon Phillips led the NL in fielding percentage and became the second 2B in MLB history to hit 30 homers and get 30 steals. He got neither a Gold Glove nor a Sliver Slugger.

Also, please, oh please check your facts before posting. Jimmy Rollins finished 3rd in fielding percentage, behind Omar Vizquel and Troy Tulowitzki. And as I pointed out, Rollins wasn't even in the top five in range factor or zone rating.

Big deal. Brandon Phillips led the NL in fielding percentage and became the second 2B in MLB history to hit 30 homers and get 30 steals. He got neither a Gold Glove nor a Sliver Slugger.

Also, please, oh please check your facts before posting. Jimmy Rollins finished 3rd in fielding percentage, behind Omar Vizquel and Troy Tulowitzki. And as I pointed out, Rollins wasn't even in the top five in range factor or zone rating.

LEAGUE LEADERS

League Rank MLB Rank

Ranks 20 in NL in AVG (.296)

Ranks 2 (tied) in NL in H (212)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in R (139)

Ranks 20 (tied) in NL in 2B (38)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in 3B (20)

Ranks 15 in NL in SLG (.531)

Ranks 2 (tied) in NL in TB (380)

Ranks 1 in NL in AB (716)

Ranks 5 (tied) in NL in SB (41)

fox

Looks like MVP numbers to me.

LEAGUE LEADERS

League Rank MLB Rank

Ranks 20 in NL in AVG (.296)

Ranks 2 (tied) in NL in H (212)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in R (139)

Ranks 20 (tied) in NL in 2B (38)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in 3B (20)

Ranks 15 in NL in SLG (.531)

Ranks 5 (tied) in NL in SB (41)

fox

Looks like MVP numbers to me.

His OPS+ was 118 - that is a joke for an MVP.

He was 6th among shortstops in Strike Outs.. Hooray!

he's not even the best Shortstop in the NL - that is Hanley Ramirez.

Do you know what zone rating and range factor are? He did well in fielding percentage because he wasn't near enough to balls hit in his direction to even bobble them. That he can catch balls hit directly at him is only mildly impressive.

His extra ABs actually make his numbers less impressive

Edited by simonus

Matt Holliday had more total bases in 80 fewer at bats! If anything, Rollins having so many at bats makes his other numbers less impressive, since he had more opportunities than other players.

Matt Holliday:

League Rank

Ranks 1 in NL in AVG (.340)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in H (216)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in RBI (137)

Ranks 3 (tied) in NL in R (120)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in 2B (50)

Ranks 12 (tied) in NL in 3B (6)

Ranks 2 in NL in SLG (.607)

Ranks 1 (tied) in NL in TB (386)

Ranks 9 in NL in AB (636)

Those look like MVP numbers to me.