O'Byrne suffers broken thumb

Habsfan84

I think they should implement a rule as if you get in a fight you helmet should be taken off before the fight. It would prevent alot of injuries because i would think punching plastic may hurt a bit.

I think they should implement a rule as if you get in a fight you helmet should be taken off before the fight. It would prevent alot of injuries because i would think punching plastic may hurt a bit.

Then there's the risk of hitting your head on the ice when you're taken down.

Then there's the risk of hitting your head on the ice when you're taken down.

If it's a real fight, the helmets are gonna be off anyways. More guys injure hands on helmets than fall and hit their head in a fight. Hell, I've never seen a guy injure his head falling in a fight.

• 4 weeks later...

How long has O'Byrne been with hamilton? 1 or 2 seasons? the reason I ask is because i'm wondering how long(realistically speaking) will it take O'Byrne to become a decent 4th defensman on this team?

It took Komisarek about 3 seasons to become the player he is today, how long will it take O'Byrne? Will O'Byrne have spent more time in the AHL compared to Komisarek(which would make his progression in the NHL quicker)?

Edited by Habsfan

OK, so I just checked out both players stats in teh NCAA, AHL And NHL.

O'Byrne spent 3 full season in the US college ranks, played 92 games and racked up 25 points. He plyed one full season in the AHL(last year) where he played 80 games and had 12 points. He is 23 years old, and I thikn that once he recovers from his broken thumb, he will be back in Montreal to finish the season(after a short stint in Hamilton for conditioning).

Ryan had shown(just before he got injured) that his play had improved, and I think it's safe to say that he should start next season in Montreal. I,d like to see him him play next to hamrlik on a regular basis.

OK, so I just checked out both players stats in teh NCAA, AHL And NHL.

O'Byrne spent 3 full season in the US college ranks, played 92 games and racked up 25 points. He plyed one full season in the AHL(last year) where he played 80 games and had 12 points. He is 23 years old, and I thikn that once he recovers from his broken thumb, he will be back in Montreal to finish the season(after a short stint in Hamilton for conditioning).

Ryan had shown(just before he got injured) that his play had improved, and I think it's safe to say that he should start next season in Montreal. I,d like to see him him play next to hamrlik on a regular basis.

The experts say it takes 3-4 years for most dmen to develope in the NHL.

Some develpe quicker, some never do. It takes a while to get used to the

speed in the league. One split second of reaction time can mean the difference

between laying a huge check on a forward or him getting around you. I suspose

dmen need time to learn how opposing players react and that comes with experience.

I like O'Byrne, love the idea of him and Komisarek manning our right D for years

to come. And, yes, I think pairing him with Hamrlik is perfect.

Maybe O'Byrne will end up being paired with McDonagh sometime down the line. Thunder and lightning, kind of like Komi-Markov.

Carle, Fisher, Subban also play RD. On the LD, you've got McDonaugh, Valentenko and Emelin... And I'm not even mentionning projects like Weber or Paquet...

Markov-Komo

McDo-O'B

Valentenko-Carle

Emelin-Fisher

Subban

That's 9 pretty good D right there. Our D is set for years...

Carle, Fisher, Subban also play RD. On the LD, you've got McDonaugh, Valentenko and Emelin... And I'm not even mentionning projects like Weber or Paquet...

Markov-Komo

McDo-O'B

Valentenko-Carle

Emelin-Fisher

Subban

Assuming they all pan out, of course.

Markov-Komo

McDo-O'B

Valentenko-Carle

Emelin-Fisher

Subban

I agree with Fanpuck, we have a tendency to think that all of our prospects picked in the 4th round or higher will be good NHL players down the line. How could you say that that's a good 9 D there when 6 of them have never even played in the NHL, much less played well? Some of these guys are intriguing, but it's unlikely that they'll all develop to their full potential. McDonagh seems like our highest rated prospect D-man and the best bet to be a good NHLer at this point, at least from what analysts say.

I agree with Fanpuck, we have a tendency to think that all of our prospects picked in the 4th round or higher will be good NHL players down the line. How could you say that that's a good 9 D there when 6 of them have never even played in the NHL, much less played well? Some of these guys are intriguing, but it's unlikely that they'll all develop to their full potential. McDonagh seems like our highest rated prospect D-man and the best bet to be a good NHLer at this point, at least from what analysts say.

I think the Canadiens are set on D for many years to come.

That's gonna be the tricky thing. Trying to figure out which one of these prospects will be a monster in the NHL, and which ones will be a bust!