Marian Hossa

ForumGhost

How likely is it the Hossa will sign with Pittsburg this summer, even if they do win the cup? I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but I'm assuming that Fleury, Crosby and Malkin won't give the Pens much room for another superstar that could probably command more than 6 mil. If he is going to walk into free agency, how much cap room would we have to spend on him?

How likely is it the Hossa will sign with Pittsburg this summer, even if they do win the cup? I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but I'm assuming that Fleury, Crosby and Malkin won't give the Pens much room for another superstar that could probably command more than 6 mil. If he is going to walk into free agency, how much cap room would we have to spend on him?

No matter what happens, there's very little chance the Penguins will be able to retain him. For some offensively starved teams, they could possibly be willing to toss a large sum of money at him so there will likely be a big bidding war for him. IMO he'll get 7 mill at the least.

Yea, there is about zero chance he signs. The Penguins need to resign many RFA's plus Malone. Who is probably more valuable to the Pens then Hossa.

There will be plenty of teams lining up for his services. One advantage the habs may have is they are on there way up while other teams are not.

I think with the sole fact that Fleury is due for a big raise after the season means Hossa won't (or shouldn't, I guess) be around next season. Not to mention Malkin and Staal's deals are up after next season.

I think Tampa Bay served as a good example of how to handle the cap and Pittsburgh won't go down the same route.

Pedneault wrote that Malkin would ask for 20% of Pens salary cap : 11M$ !!! If this ever happens, not enough space for Hossa in Pittsburgh...

I don't care how good anyone is, I'm not giving anyone 11 million in the salary cap era. Maybe if the cap sees another increase next offseason (I'd assume putting it around 58 million) but with the current cap or even this offseasons supposed increase? No way in hell.

I sign malkin to whatever he wants, although ideally he'd have another couple of dominant seasons under his belt.

Hossa? I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $8, 9 mil and (say) 7 years. Seriously. You've got teams like Vancouver that are desperate for offence and such teams can be trusted to be total blithering idiots when UFA season hits.

I sign malkin to whatever he wants, although ideally he'd have another couple of dominant seasons under his belt.

Hossa? I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $8, 9 mil and (say) 7 years. Seriously. You've got teams like Vancouver that are desperate for offence and such teams can be trusted to be total blithering idiots when UFA season hits.

Only the guys you feel you can build your whole nucleus around deserve 9-11M per season as far as I'm concerned.

I am not sure Malkin is one of those guys. Jagr who was just as talented never thrived as the focal point and nucleus

of a legitimate contender. Maybe Malkin is different, but I would need to see him thrive for more than 20 games without

Crosby to make up my mind on that one.

Hossa is definitely not one of them.

In baseball, some of the dumbest contracts handed out are to pitchers because of the importance of the position.

But in the backwards world of the NHL where EVERYBODY concedes that you cannot win in the playoffs without

outstanding goaltending the Goalies are not paid at the same level as the offensive superstars. Strange.

But it makes the Devils blueprint the best one to follow. The Habs can build around Carey Price as their centerpiece and

most likely not have to pay him more than 7M per season.

Right now the only guys who I would pay 10M + for are Crosby and Ovechkin. If Malkin insisted on 11M per season I would

sign him and deal him for a BOATLOAD.

Edited by Wamsley01