Spending Money - Part Deux

saskhab

Still, I don't see Gainey offering any more than 7 million at this point, as he wouldn't be able to bring up emergency callups in cases where a player isn't injured long enough to qualify for cap relief.

It was confirmed that the Habs had offered Sundin 15 million over 2 years. There were even rumours that Bob had increased his offer to 17 million over two year. My guess is Sundin isn'T going anywhere for less than 7.5 million per year!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was confirmed that the Habs had offered Sundin 15 million over 2 years. There were even rumours that Bob had increased his offer to 17 million over two year. My guess is Sundin isn'T going anywhere for less than 7.5 million per year!

It wasn't confirmed how much Bob offered, as I even heard he never actually presented him with a contract. Bob may have asked "would $15m over two years get you to make a decision?" but I have heard no actual paper was sent by the Canadiens to the Sundin camp to sign, as Mats gave no indication he was ready for that decision to them. Once July 1 hit, other teams sent him offers, but they hadn't had the 2 weeks of discussion the Habs got with him to understand where Mats really was at.

I haven't seen anything official about what offers Gainey may have made. The 17 million over 2 years is ridiculous, it'd be hard enough to stay under the cap with an 8 million a year offer. Also, I think he should only be signed for one season. He obviously is close to retirement and if he comes back and wins a Cup, he very likely would retire on top. That would mean we'd have millions of dollars counting against the cap for a retired player in a season where we have lots of free agents to re-sign.

I haven't seen anything official about what offers Gainey may have made. The 17 million over 2 years is ridiculous, it'd be hard enough to stay under the cap with an 8 million a year offer. Also, I think he should only be signed for one season. He obviously is close to retirement and if he comes back and wins a Cup, he very likely would retire on top. That would mean we'd have millions of dollars counting against the cap for a retired player in a season where we have lots of free agents to re-sign.

If the player is retired and not on your active roster I don't believe they would count against the cap...and if so, they could just send him through waivers and assign him to the AHL. He'd get paid but wouldn't count against the cap then.

There are ALWAYS going to be a lot of ways for teams to get around salary cap issues.

If the player is retired and not on your active roster I don't believe they would count against the cap...and if so, they could just send him through waivers and assign him to the AHL. He'd get paid but wouldn't count against the cap then.

There are ALWAYS going to be a lot of ways for teams to get around salary cap issues.

my understanding is that if you sign a player over 35 to a multi-year deal, all years count against the cap regardless of whether that player actually plays.

my understanding is that if you sign a player over 35 to a multi-year deal, all years count against the cap regardless of whether that player actually plays.

That's how I understood it as well. I'm a little unsure if you can bury them in the AHL tho.

So that bring us to 49.195 cap hit, including Chipchura/Dandenault

Forwards

1. Tanguay 5.25

2. Koivu 4.75

3. Kovalev 4.5

4. Andrei Kost. 3.25

5. Higgins 1.7

6. Plekanec 1.6

7. Laraque 1.5

8. Bégin 1.057

9.Chipchura 0.943

10. Kostopoulos 0.9

11. Latendresse 0.85

12. Sergei Kost. 0.817 (including $290K in bonuses)

13. Lapierre 0.688

Subtotal : 27.805

Defense

1. Markov 5.75

2. Harmlik 5.5

3. Bouillon 1.875

4. Dadenault 1.725

5. Komisarek 1.7

6. Gorges 1.1

Subtotal : 17.65

Goal

1. Price 2.2 (including $1.35M in bonuses)

2. Halak 0.775

Subtotal : 2.975

Buyouts

1. Cullimore 0.64

2. Salmelainen 0.125

Subtotal : 0.765

Grand total : $49,195,000

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is largely finished now. The team has about $6.8m cap space with a 22 man roster signed, and can easily carry a 23rd man if they want to. They have 41 players signed, I believe, and really only a couple of minor league moves left to make (sign Yannick Weber, possibly another AHL d-man). There's a roster spot available for Sundin still, and a move would have to be made to accomadate him, likely sacrificing Mathieu Dandenault and sending Chipchura to the AHL.

We're all aware of the current situation... and with so many weeks to go before training camp....

What about next year?

The thought is that Sundin, if he is signed, will only be to a 1 year contract. Assume he doesn't sign right now, or that if he does, it's clear he won't be coming back to Montreal in 2009-10:

Committed cap space in 2009-10:

Andrei Kostitsyn, F: $3.25m

Georges Laraque, F: $1.5m

Sergei Kostitsyn, F: $.817m

Maxim Lapierre, F: $.688m

Andrei Markov, D: $5.75m

Roman Hamrlik, D: $5.5m

Josh Gorges, D: $1.1m

Ryan O'Byrne, D: $.942m

Carey Price, G: $2.2m

Jaroslav Halak, G: $.775m

Total: $22.521m on 10 players

RFAs with qualifying offer:

Chris Higgins, F: $1.9m

Tomas Plekanec, F: $1.8m

Kyle Chipchura, F: $.903m

Guillaume Latendresse, F: $.893m

Total: $5.496m

UFAs (2008-09 salary shown, not cap hit):

Alex Tanguay, F: $5.375m

Saku Koivu, F: $4.75m

Alex Kovalev, F: $4.5m

Steve Bégin, F: $1.3m

Tom Kostopolous, F: $.9m

Mike Komisarek, D: $1.9m

Francis Bouillon, D: $1.875m

Mathieu Dandenault, D/F: $1.75m

When you combine the RFA's with the players under contract, you have 14 players returning and less than half the cap hit devoted to retaining all their rights. Of course, the 4 RFA's will almost certainly take in more than their qualifying offer, so it's silly to just think that (although currently Chipchura doesn't have a lot of bargaining power outside his QO, but one good year can change that).

Put the cap at $60m for early reference.

BTW, here are some prospect cap hits for reference:

Max Pacioretty, F: $.875m (could be higher depending on bonuses, but this is the rookie max for the '07 draft)

Brock Trotter, F: $.875m

Ben Maxwell, F: $.85 m

Matt D'Agostini, F: $.559m (RFA)

Greg Stewart, F: $.55m (RFA)

Pavel Valentenko, D: $.85m

Mathieu Carle, D: $.85m

If Emelin were to sign, it'd be likely around a $.9-$.95m cap hit as a 2004 draft pick on an entry level deal, maximum. McDonaugh probably will be a cap hit not unlike Carey Price's if he were to jump straight to the NHL in 2009-10. I assume Pacioretty's cap hit is higher than $1m in reality, since he is a first rounder.

The Cullimore/Salmalienen buyouts are off the books in 2009-10.