Sundin Plan B

JtowN

what if Sundin doesn't sign? this would be my plan B actually it would be my plan A I don't want Sundin he's way too insecure...

1st Do whatever it takes to land Teemu Selanne - Selanne proved to himself last year that he is not ready for retirement when he came back; he is 38 years old but still is among the elite scorers in the league, yet not a defensive liability. Selanne is a power play monster and can easily replace what was lost to Mark Streit. I am sure he would love to help his buddy Saku win one for the most storied franchise in the NHL in its centennial year. Plus this puts Koivu’s morale through the roof. If Sundin Signs Saku is replaced, if they get Teemu he has a line mate! Teemu instantly gives Saku a career year.

Cap Hit - 6M

Current Cap - 0 .56 M

2nd Trade for Sami Pahlsson and Francois Beauchemin - Anaheim is still 3.2M over the cap and with Selanne signed they no longer need to move Schneider keeping their amazing defense corps in tact. I would give up a 3rd (or 2nd) rounder, a 5th rounder and a mid-level prospect (someone like Matt D'Agostini 6.0C). I love Pahlsson and I think he would fit in perfectly on the 4th line, speed, grit and experience, not to mention his penalty killing prowess and 55 percent face-off clip while ranking third in SH face-off wins. He will help Lapierre and Chipchura immensely. Beauchemin is a precursor for my next trade but I think he is an underrated 2nd pairing defensemen averaging more than 25 minutes TOI. Anaheim benefits as they are under the cap without giving any big pieces, while receiving more than fair value (I think a 2nd rounder is needed to get it done personally).

Cap Hit 3.05M

Current Cap - (-) 3.6M

3rd Trade Mathieu Dandenault and Francis Bouillon strictly as salary dumps - I would attempt to trade both as a package to LA. They only have 4 NHL defensemen under contract for next year, and they still haven’t even hit the salary floor. Both blue liners are UFA’s next year so there are no long term effects. And both are very serviceable 3rd pairing defensemen while Dandenault has demonstrated versatility. Take whatever Picks you can get in return.

Cap Hit - (-) 3.6M

Current Cap 0M

As you can see the numbers work out to near perfection. We should be spending to the cap in our Centennial year without a doubt.

Final Roster

Forwards

LW C RW

Andrei Kastsitsyn Tomas Plekanec Alexei Kovalev Line 1A

Alex Tanguay Saku Koivu Teemu Selanne Line 1B

Siarhei Kastsitsyn Chris Higgins Guillaume Latendresse Line 3

Tom Kostopoulos Sami Pahlsson Steve Bégin/ Line 4

Georges Laraque

Bench; Kyle Chipchura, Maxim Lapierre, Max Pacioretty (sub in against weaker teams)

No real defensive Liabilities, good 4th line shutdown unit. Latendresse and Laraque are the slowest players but line mate’s speed should make up for mistakes. Begin/Laraque should only play about 55-60 games with the other splitting the difference. Chipchura and Lapierre lose regular spots but were going for Lord Stanley’s Mug here. This lineup shows great depth and chemistry with adequate toughness as well as room for injuries, while nearly all the players assume their natural positions.

Defense

Andrei Markov Roman Hamrlik

Michael Komisarek Francois Beauchemin

Ryan O’Byrne Josh Gorges

Bench; Mathieu Carle, Shawn Belle, Ryan McDonagh, David Fischer

Goalies

Carey Price - 55 games, Marc Denis 20 Games, Jaroslav Halak 7 games

This unit brings all around defense with very good balance that I think can play any style of hockey be it physical or finesse, they are an extremely versatile group. Price should get the bulk of the starts with Denis as a backup, he was on TAMPA last year, and he’s not as bad as his numbers indicate. Halak plays 60 games in the AHL he needs to play more than 25 games in a season, unless some sort of 1A 1B situation is played but that hurts Price. Halak is used as trade bait at the deadline if the team is missing something.

My predictions, Line1A - 90 goals, Line 1B - 85 goals, Line 3 - 60 goals, Line 4 -15 goals, defense combine for 30 goals for a total of 280 goals, surpassing last years league leading number of 262 while not sacrificing defensively, and all key players are in contract years =) oh and Price wins 40 games!

What does everyone think? Don't be easy I can take it...what are your Plan B's?

Edited by JtowN

I don't see how we get Pahlsson for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, But other then that lines 1a and 1b would make anyone get a stiff Sher-Wood

Edited by ehjay

I don't see how we get Pahlsson for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, But other then that lines 1a and 1b would make anyone get a stiff Sher-Wood

Better yet, I don't see why we'd trade any pick, let alone a 2nd or 3rd for another 4th line center. :wacko:

Beauchemin was involved too,thats why a 2nd a 5th and d'agostoni

and you think Burke will give Beauchemin for D'Agostini and a 5th ???

Definitely some interesting ideas... it's clear you put some effort into it.

Teemu is reportedly unwilling to uproot his family to play in Montreal, so I don't think we'll ever see Saku and Teemu play together. It's too bad, but I think thats the way it'll be.

I don't think Anaheim undervalues Beauchemin, and he will command a substantial raise after this year... one that we couldn't afford to match and keep Komisarek. Pahlsson would definitely be a great fit on the 3rd/4th and on PK duties.

Sadly, I don't think that there's much of a market for Dandy or Bouillon. :(

Great first post, Jtown. Hope to hear more from you!

and you think Burke will give Beauchemin for D'Agostini and a 5th ???

he doesn't have much of a choice, he's 3+ million over the cap, he has got to do something I think I imagined a very fair package for both teams

D'agostoni and a 2nd for beauchemin

5th for pahlsson

they take on no salary and don't lose any big pieces (Schneider) they get 3 players for 2

plus if you really wanna get technical all of Anaheim's D are UFA next year except pronger, so they may very well lose him for nothing cuz hes gunna want a BIG raise...see Mark Streit...

remember I am not a gm this is just my fantasy...

Teams still trade during the season? ^_^

hehehe yeah you wouldn't know it but I checked the rules and technically it remains possible to make trades even after the season starts. Apparently there might even be a number of talented veterans available before the "trade deadline."

not trying to take the piss, i just figure a very good asset the Habs have right now is our $7m or so in cap space.

We need more than a Plan B if we want to win the Cup this year.

We need a top-notch sniper. What would it cost to get Kovalchuk? I think I know but I'm too scared to say it.

btw, welcome to the board, jtown

he doesn't have much of a choice, he's 3+ million over the cap, he has got to do something I think I imagined a very fair package for both teams

D'agostoni and a 2nd for beauchemin

5th for pahlsson

they take on no salary and don't lose any big pieces (Schneider) they get 3 players for 2

plus if you really wanna get technical all of Anaheim's D are UFA next year except pronger, so they may very well lose him for nothing cuz hes gunna want a BIG raise...see Mark Streit...

if you have cap troubles, you don't trade your 1.6mil 2nd line D-man.

In your trade, Anaheim doesn't get 3 players for the coming season, they get 1 - they' need to get another D man. The draft picks could at the very (unlikely) best turn into roster players in 2009-10.

We need more than a Plan B if we want to win the Cup this year.

We need a top-notch sniper. What would it cost to get Kovalchuk? I think I know but I'm too scared to say it.

btw, welcome to the board, jtown

thanks

for Kovalchuk i wanna say Higgins, Plekanac, Halak, Mcdonah and a 1st that would be the bare minimum imo I would say Komisarek may need to be involved too

if you have cap troubles, you don't trade your 1.6mil 2nd line D-man.

In your trade, Anaheim doesn't get 3 players for the coming season, they get 1 - they' need to get another D man. The draft picks could at the very (unlikely) best turn into roster players in 2009-10.

really they don't get any roster players, anaheim doesn't really have alot of option 3+ m is alot to move no one will take rob neidermyer or todd marchant at their respective price tags they will need to offer sumthin to get teams to help them out

you should fatansize about players coming as cheap free agents like hossa did in detroit.

BTW: Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride !!

thanks

for Kovalchuk i wanna say Higgins, Plekanac, Halak, Mcdonah and a 1st that would be the bare minimum imo I would say Komisarek may need to be involved too.

why would montreal jeopardize his present and his future for one guy.they're one guy away from the stanley cup final.

look at the recent trades in the NHL. seldom does a teams gives the farm for one guy.

hossa trade: christenson, armostrong 1st rounder and a long shot NHLer in esposito.

Thornton deal: primeau sturm and stuart. no prospects, no 1st rounders.

Pronger: Smid, Lupul( traded the same year) few dratf picks.

Richards: smith, halpern and jokinen.

anyway, it's a moot point since kovalchuk wont be traded. atlanta needs to sell tickets.

really they don't get any roster players, anaheim doesn't really have alot of option 3+ m is alot to move no one will take rob neidermyer or todd marchant at their respective price tags they will need to offer sumthin to get teams to help them out

Burke is one of the greater GM's in the league. he wouldn't fall for so little. besides, if he wants to save cap space he could send one of his high salaries in the minors. you still pay the money but you save the cap space.

Edited by marky_and_komi

what if Sundin doesn't sign? this would be my plan B actually it would be my plan A I don't want Sundin he's way too insecure...

1st Do whatever it takes to land Teemu Selanne - Selanne proved to himself last year that he is not ready for retirement when he came back; he is 38 years old but still is among the elite scorers in the league, yet not a defensive liability. Selanne is a power play monster and can easily replace what was lost to Mark Streit. I am sure he would love to help his buddy Saku win one for the most storied franchise in the NHL in its centennial year. Plus this puts Koivu’s morale through the roof. If Sundin Signs Saku is replaced, if they get Teemu he has a line mate! Teemu instantly gives Saku a career year.

Cap Hit - 6M

Current Cap - 0 .56 M

2nd Trade for Sami Pahlsson and Francois Beauchemin - Anaheim is still 3.2M over the cap and with Selanne signed they no longer need to move Schneider keeping their amazing defense corps in tact. I would give up a 3rd (or 2nd) rounder, a 5th rounder and a mid-level prospect (someone like Matt D'Agostini 6.0C). I love Pahlsson and I think he would fit in perfectly on the 4th line, speed, grit and experience, not to mention his penalty killing prowess and 55 percent face-off clip while ranking third in SH face-off wins. He will help Lapierre and Chipchura immensely. Beauchemin is a precursor for my next trade but I think he is an underrated 2nd pairing defensemen averaging more than 25 minutes TOI. Anaheim benefits as they are under the cap without giving any big pieces, while receiving more than fair value (I think a 2nd rounder is needed to get it done personally).

Cap Hit 3.05M

Current Cap - (-) 3.6M

3rd Trade Mathieu Dandenault and Francis Bouillon strictly as salary dumps - I would attempt to trade both as a package to LA. They only have 4 NHL defensemen under contract for next year, and they still haven’t even hit the salary floor. Both blue liners are UFA’s next year so there are no long term effects. And both are very serviceable 3rd pairing defensemen while Dandenault has demonstrated versatility. Take whatever Picks you can get in return.

Cap Hit - (-) 3.6M

Current Cap 0M

As you can see the numbers work out to near perfection. We should be spending to the cap in our Centennial year without a doubt.

Final Roster

Forwards

LW C RW

Andrei Kastsitsyn Tomas Plekanec Alexei Kovalev Line 1A

Alex Tanguay Saku Koivu Teemu Selanne Line 1B

Siarhei Kastsitsyn Chris Higgins Guillaume Latendresse Line 3

Tom Kostopoulos Sami Pahlsson Steve Bégin/ Line 4

Georges Laraque

Bench; Kyle Chipchura, Maxim Lapierre, Max Pacioretty (sub in against weaker teams)

No real defensive Liabilities, good 4th line shutdown unit. Latendresse and Laraque are the slowest players but line mate’s speed should make up for mistakes. Begin/Laraque should only play about 55-60 games with the other splitting the difference. Chipchura and Lapierre lose regular spots but were going for Lord Stanley’s Mug here. This lineup shows great depth and chemistry with adequate toughness as well as room for injuries, while nearly all the players assume their natural positions.

Defense

Andrei Markov Roman Hamrlik

Michael Komisarek Francois Beauchemin

Ryan O’Byrne Josh Gorges

Bench; Mathieu Carle, Shawn Belle, Ryan McDonagh, David Fischer

Goalies

Carey Price - 55 games, Marc Denis 20 Games, Jaroslav Halak 7 games

This unit brings all around defense with very good balance that I think can play any style of hockey be it physical or finesse, they are an extremely versatile group. Price should get the bulk of the starts with Denis as a backup, he was on TAMPA last year, and he’s not as bad as his numbers indicate. Halak plays 60 games in the AHL he needs to play more than 25 games in a season, unless some sort of 1A 1B situation is played but that hurts Price. Halak is used as trade bait at the deadline if the team is missing something.

My predictions, Line1A - 90 goals, Line 1B - 85 goals, Line 3 - 60 goals, Line 4 -15 goals, defense combine for 30 goals for a total of 280 goals, surpassing last years league leading number of 262 while not sacrificing defensively, and all key players are in contract years =) oh and Price wins 40 games!

What does everyone think? Don't be easy I can take it...what are your Plan B's?

My plan B would be to trade for a C that can play on our top 2 lines. Actually getting that C

should be plan A, more so if he's young.

Selanne we don't really need, we have tons of depth at wing.

Pahlsson and Beauchemin, would be depth players on our team, we have that.

Nice post, well thought out, but C is our weakness. Thats what we need to address :hlogo:

What if we just relax, enjoy the rest of the summer grab a couple of "pops" and shelf all this Sundin talk.........................

Seriously, not picking on the original poster but we can plat the "what if" game until his highness makes a decision on if he's playing, and then we'll have another month of speculation on where he's going..........

As Frank would say: SERENITY NOW!

What I do know is that if Sundin signs anywhere else, and Gainey makes different move, then some boob will be on here talking about Gainey's genius for pulling some sort of smoke screen, driving up Sundin's cost to others, yadda, yadda,

i think we sit pretty with the comfortable cap space and keep our options open for a trade during the season

I couldn't agree more. The thing about UFA season is that people get caught up in the excitement of it all - and in the fact that other teams sign guy X, Y, or Z - and conclude that WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!!! In fact, as many have pointed out, especially with the new additions, this is already a damned good team...and let's avoid the usual mistake of assuming that our young players will be no better than they were last season: on the contrary, one or two of them will quite likely improve, thus making the team better by standing still. So while Sundin would be a huge element, if he doesn't pan out, there's no crying urgency to do anything in the short term.

(The big sleeper question for this season, incidentally, is what to do about Kovalev, that impending UFA. Resigning him will mean paying big dollars that might be more wisely expended elsewhere. I'll follow Bob's moves here with great interest).

Option and plan B.

My plan A would not even be Sundin it would be to go after Sakic.

you would be wasting your time Joe has already said the Avs are the only option to retiring.

you would be wasting your time Joe has already said the Avs are the only option to retiring.

I know but this is a Sim post in a Sim season with Sim money over the cap and Joe would be wearing

Bleu-Blanc-Rouge next year...

Tucker and Raycroft playing for then AVs is a good reason not to go back there.

thanks

for Kovalchuk i wanna say Higgins, Plekanac, Halak, Mcdonah and a 1st that would be the bare minimum imo I would say Komisarek may need to be involved too

What I don't understand is how you are willing to pay the price of two Kovalchuks for one yet would only give D'agostini for Beauchemin.