2008 Summer Olympics

jetsniper

I figure we'll eventually need a topic for the Olympics. I'm not expecting a whole lot of Canada although I do hope Brent Hayden gets the Gold after the 2004 games. I think our Women's Soccer team could surprise too. I'm not about to predict a medal count since it's really a crap shoot but the Summer games haven't really been Canada's thing lately.

Anyone watch the opening ceremonies? I missed them so I have no idea how they were.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were, as always, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. I like to see how the Olympic flame is lit, but I can do wihtout the rest.

I usually watch a lot of the athletics events. Back in 1988 when the Olympics were held in South Korea, my parents woke me and my brothers up in the middle of the night so we could watct the 100 meter dash duel between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis.

I also especially like the handball tournament, it's very intense (yeah, I know how gay you guys think that sounds) but other than that I can watch almost anything, every obscure little sport that I only remember exist once every four years. I grew up watching the Olympics so I really like it.

So the IOC is getting rid of Baseball and Softball, has no room for sports like Golf and Rugby, but has kept Equestrian Dressage in the games?

Hopefully Canada can beat the total that we had in Athens, can't expect a whole lot more. A Swimming or Track medal would be nice too.

Effing Michael Bradley and Stuart Holden. First Holden doesn't pass on a sure goal to clinch. Then Bradley gets a yellow for delay that puts him out of the next game. Finally Holden takes a penalty to set up the game tying goal that prevents the US from clinching a spot in the knockout round. A chance to upset the most talented team in the group and they effing blow it. On top of that, Freddy Adu is out of the next game as well.

I figure we'll eventually need a topic for the Olympics. I'm not expecting a whole lot of Canada although I do hope Brent Hayden gets the Gold after the 2004 games. I think our Women's Soccer team could surprise too. I'm not about to predict a medal count since it's really a crap shoot but the Summer games haven't really been Canada's thing lately.

Anyone watch the opening ceremonies? I missed them so I have no idea how they were.

as opposed to DK, i thought they were AMAZING !!!! I really enjoyed the show, it was sick.

I'm still waiting for a medal.

DAMN YOU KYLE SHEWFELT.

(At least Holland has a gold and a bronze)

Did you see that golden medal swimrace, it was insane! Totally domination....(4x100 women)

The best part was, the pressconference was all about the US and the Aussies..all the americans talked about was how they would win it, or maybe Australia..(holland is worldrecord holder) talking about cocky!

I expect a medal today, Judo....

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Did you see that golden medal swimrace, it was insane! Totally domination....(4x100 women)

The best part was, the pressconference was all about the US and the Aussies..all the americans talked about was how they would win it, or maybe Australia..(holland is worldrecord holder) talking about cocky!

I expect a medal today, Judo....

Nah, I haven't watched a whole lot of the Olympics yet but my dad watched it and told me about it. All I've seen is Canada beat the US in Badminton, Canada's womens soccer games and a Canadian water polo game against Spain or something. Got our asses kicked.

I do like watching the swimming events though, I gotta check when those are on.

Michael Phelps: 3 down, 5 to go

Almost an amazing performance by the US men's gymnastics team. They were brilliant up until the pommel horse, which dropped them down to a bronze. Pretty amazing considering their top two guys both were out with injuries.

one of these days we'll win a medal..... sigh....

***dreaming of Vancouver 2010 already***

Canada will do fine.

Most of the sports we are expected to medal in are still going through qualifiers.

Canada will do fine.

Most of the sports we are expected to medal in are still going through qualifiers.

We have already had a couple of failures though, you can't say they haven't been disappointing for Canada so far. Theres definitely still a chance we do better then the measly 12 medals we got in Athens though.

We've got a few really, really good chances at medals tomorrow though so the drought should end soon.

we're 4 on 4. 4 days and 4 medals. For a small nation we do fine. Though all our medals should come out of Swimming, Judo(some chances with cycling/horseriding and Sailing.) So we are good at a small portion of sports..still proud!

Same at wintersports, its all speedskating..

We have already had a couple of failures though, you can't say they haven't been disappointing for Canada so far. Theres definitely still a chance we do better then the measly 12 medals we got in Athens though.

We've got a few really, really good chances at medals tomorrow though so the drought should end soon.

Who have the failures been? The biggest notables I can think of were Nestor/Niemeyer and Shewfelt, but you can't say either one was supposed to medal, just a darkhorse.

Who have the failures been? The biggest notables I can think of were Nestor/Niemeyer and Shewfelt, but you can't say either one was supposed to medal, just a darkhorse.

Funny because the papers preview both had them as expected to medal. Maybe Shewfelt's injury took him out as a gold medal hopeful but I'll guarantee a lot more was expected then an 11th place finish. Silver or Bronze wasn't out of the question.

And Nestor is part of the top ranked doubles team in the world, you're going to expect more then a first round defeat.

Neither were overwhelming favorites but they weren't darkhorses either. Both were capable of much, much more. And a lot of people had both tabbed for gold medals. Not me personally but the expectation was there.

Funny because the papers preview both had them as expected to medal. Maybe Shewfelt's injury took him out as a gold medal hopeful but I'll guarantee a lot more was expected then an 11th place finish. Silver or Bronze wasn't out of the question.

And Nestor is part of the top ranked doubles team in the world, you're going to expect more then a first round defeat.

Neither were overwhelming favorites but they weren't darkhorses either. Both were capable of much, much more. And a lot of people had both tabbed for gold medals. Not me personally but the expectation was there.

Nestor can only do so much. People forget that Sebastian Lareau was also a great doubles player in his day, it wasn't simply Nestor carrying the team.

And I think the consensus was that it would be difficult for Shewfelt to medal after his injury. More was certainly expected though.

SI Had us winning 16 medals and to the best of my knowledge none of those events have been staged as of yet.