Tonights game vs Detroit on radio anywhere?

Canajun

Anytime a player is getting caugth with his head down there's a good chance the hit will look dirty, in Mark Bell's it looked like an elbow to the head, but really he was just finishing his check on a player with the puck. If Danny Alfredsson had his head a little higher, it would have been a regular shoulder-to-shoulder check.

Last night, even Carbonneau agreed the hit was clean, and that Carle should have been more careful.

It's like when Eric Lindros completely destroyed Andreas Dackell, it looked really nasty at first, but the truth is that Dackell put himself in a highly vulnerable position at the very last moment, and Lindros was past his point of no-return.

I have seen plenty of monster hits where a player had his head down which came across as clean.

The Bell hit was borderline, that is why half the people who saw it thought it was dirty, the other half clean.

I did not like the way Bell finished that check, from the replay of last night I did not see Kopecky follow through with

a forearm/elbow in the same manner to finish the check. I still think Bell thrusted up and through Alfreddson's head,

I did not see the same thing with Kopecky.

But I will reserve judgement on last night's hit until I see another angle.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the type of hit the league needs to take a look at. You're only supposed to check people with the puck. Too many guys are getting destroyed seconds after passing or dumping it in. There are obviously cases where you can't stop your momentum and will hit a guy after he doesn't have the puck anymore, but you can still hold up and not totally destroy a guy in such a situation.

I agree Fanpuck. This is not war, it's still just a game.

The game is to fast though. If Kopecky holds up anticipating that dump and Carle fakes and carries over the blueline

Kopecky finds his ass on the bench and hinders his chance at making the Red Wings because he never finished his check.

The game is to fast though. If Kopecky holds up anticipating that dump and Carle fakes and carries over the blueline

Kopecky finds his ass on the bench and hinders his chance at making the Red Wings because he never finished his check.

Come on, he watched him dump the puck. There was no reason to finish the check that hard. I will admit it was a close play, and even with the rule I'm suggesting it would be a judgment call. Hits like the one that started the Buffalo-Ottawa brawl are the obvious calls. Drury had gotten rid of the puck and the Ottawa player still went out of his way to destroy him.

Another exapmle:

Kopecky is guaranteed a spot in the Detroit lineup. In the regular season, he can make that hit. In the preseason, he should've let up. I'm not going to complain too much, but it just comes down to the respect factor.

What happened to shoulder to shoulder hits anyways?

The NFL is a tough sport as well and they have sent out memos to every player indicating they want to see more respect and less late hits/attempts to injure. Now, I didn't see the incident and those are hard to call, but the reality is that someone is going to get very seriously hurt one of these days. Proactive is better than reactive, I should think. It's about time the NHL stepped in to say that shots to the head - ANY kind - are out.

The term finish your check used to refer to a body check which was actually to the body and apparently now it means finish the concussion with direct shot to the head. :huh:

I watched a lot of Vintage Hockey over the summer and the only logical conclusion I can come to is Messier ruined hockey because he was regularly doing hits like that in the mid 80's with the Oilers. It really needs to stop. The main reason why their wont be another Gretzky is because they all get maimed before they even make it to Junior.