Should a trophy be awarded to the NHL's best offensive forward?

CerebusClone

Award for best offensive forward  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How should the NHL reward the best offensive forward?

• By awarding him the Hart trophy
    • By introducing a Wayne Gretzky award
    • It shouldn't, the Art Ross is enough

Should the Hart trophy only be awarded to offensive forwards considering that the best defenseman is already awarded the Norris, the best goaltender is awarded the Vezina, and the best defensive forward is awarded the Selke? If not should the NHL introduce a new Wayne Gretzky trophy for the player voted best offensive forward? Or is the Art Ross enough even though it’s only based on statistics?

I think the Art Ross is enough. There's the Rocket Richard for most goals too. Those two trophies pretty much cover it. No need for another.

And the Wayne Gretzky Trophy? :puke: Well, if it means he must be dead first, I could go with that... (yes, I hate Gretz)

Sorry, but the first choice is just silly. You can't just stop giving the Hart to the league's MVP.

It's still a possibility, which is why I suggested that another award could be introduced. In that case you have an award for every category, with the Hart awarded to the league MVP. This has been proposed before, and other trophies have changed over the years. The Vezina used to be pretty much the Jennings, and was changed as the player voted best goaltender in the NHL.

I think the Art Ross is enough. There's the Rocket Richard for most goals too. Those two trophies pretty much cover it. No need for another.

And the Wayne Gretzky Trophy? :puke: Well, if it means he must be dead first, I could go with that... (yes, I hate Gretz)

Or perhaps the Art Ross could be awarded according to a vote by NHL executives, as it is the case for the Vezina and the Norris. Of course there's also the Pearson, but that's voted by the NHLPA.

That is a lot of trophies (the Messier leadership award? please...)... yet some categories are left out. If there is an award for most goals, why not assists? Maybe one day we'll see a Mike Komisarek award for most hits ;)

Or perhaps the Art Ross could be awarded according to a vote by NHL executives, as it is the case for the Vezina and the Norris. Of course there's also the Pearson, but that's voted by the NHLPA.

That is a lot of trophies (the Messier leadership award? please...)... yet some categories are left out. If there is an award for most goals, why not assists? Maybe one day we'll see a Mike Komisarek award for most hits ;)

Well I think that the player who finish with most points somehow deserves bragging rights as the best offensive forward and the Art Ross sorta fits there. Not really any need for a vote. It's not really the same as goalies & defensemen where stats aren't really telling the entire story.

But I know what you mean. Like the Vezina was given to the goalies allowing the fewest goals until it was turned into best goalies. I'm just having a hard time seeing people voting for a guy different than the one who finishes with the most points. If you look back at the list of Art Ross winners, it's tough to make a case for the best offensive forward not being the one that finished with most points unless the race was really close.

good, finally! someone else who hates him

If there is an award for most goals, why not assists? Maybe one day we'll see a Mike Komisarek award for most hits ;)

I don't really like the Idea of a most assist award, as too many of them are 2nd assists. Also, despite what some might say...it is harder to score than to pass.

I don't really like the Idea of a most assist award, as too many of them are 2nd assists. Also, despite what some might say...it is harder to score than to pass.

I never said I think there should be one either... but when you handing out awards for being a leader (highly subjective) and for being a nice guy, that opens up a whole new bunch of possibilities...

Well I think that the player who finish with most points somehow deserves bragging rights as the best offensive forward and the Art Ross sorta fits there. Not really any need for a vote. It's not really the same as goalies & defensemen where stats aren't really telling the entire story.

But I know what you mean. Like the Vezina was given to the goalies allowing the fewest goals until it was turned into best goalies. I'm just having a hard time seeing people voting for a guy different than the one who finishes with the most points. If you look back at the list of Art Ross winners, it's tough to make a case for the best offensive forward not being the one that finished with most points unless the race was really close.

I know what you mean, but there are several factors that affect how many points a player can get. The most obvious examples is games played, if a player is 2 points short of the lead, but played 70 games instead of 82, he's statiscally a much better player while having played enough games to be considered. Also some players produce in great parts because of the linemates, Jonathan Cheechoo isn't that great a goal scorer, but managed to win the Rocket Richard trophy because Joe Thornton was phenomenal. Other factors such as consistency would probably be considered, for example a guy who contributes almost every game would get more votes than another player who scores 4-5 points once in a while to make up for his many slumps.

But then again I guess in theory that award is the Lester B. Pearson...

Ask Sean Bergenheim...

As long as the current qualification to get an assist is merely to touch the puck, then there should be no trophy for the most assists.

I do think that there should be a trophy for the highest scoring defenseman, and the Norris should go to the best overall defenseman, whether he racks up points or not should not be relevant. High scoring defensemen always seem to get a bit of an edge when it comes to Norris consideration.

As long as the current qualification to get an assist is merely to touch the puck, then there should be no trophy for the most assists.

I do think that there should be a trophy for the highest scoring defenseman, and the Norris should go to the best overall defenseman, whether he racks up points or not should not be relevant. High scoring defensemen always seem to get a bit of an edge when it comes to Norris consideration.

Although with the exception of perhaps Paul Coffey who was a truly dominating force offensively, the Norris pretty always goes to a dominant defenseman at both ends of the rink, and never to a Mark Streit or even a Sergei Gonchar earlier in his career. When you look at the list, it's difficult to blame the voting committee.

Ask Sean Bergenheim...

care to elaborate?

I think he's the one who was credited of the "O'Byrne's goal"... wasn't hard at all...

The Lester B. Pearson Award goes to the "most outstanding player" which is generally the best offensive player. For example, they gave this to Jagr as a consolation prize after he lost to Thornton for the Hart.

No, it was Guerin. Got me points in my fantasy league.

lol I was pretty sure it was Weight.

No, it was Guerin. Got me points in my fantasy league.

Doh, the guy on radio said it was the first time he saw the same guy scoring a goal and receiving a penalty at the same time... fooled me.

The Lester B. Pearson Award goes to the "most outstanding player" which is generally the best offensive player. For example, they gave this to Jagr as a consolation prize after he lost to Thornton for the Hart.

Don't know how that would be possible, given that (a) the players vote for the Pearson while the media votes for the Hart and (b) no one knows the results of the voting until the awards are given out, which is usually the same day. The Hart voting is done when the regular season ends, and the Pearson voting is done after the playoffs.

Not a Gretzky fan either. I really think that the number of trophies there are for offense is enough. Offensive defenseman might make sense since they have a defensive forward one. Still, that's getting kind of ridiculous...