Bob Gainey's big time decisions

alexstream

Other then Kovalev, that is the same team as now. Do you like the results? Koivu, Lang are going to be one more year older and slower.

What exactly does Koivu make happen? 10 goals, that's only 10 more then me.

Schneider will be 40, how many older slow Dmen you want on the team?

Habsy, obviously i am not a Kovalev fan, but this years version of Kovalev is more the norm. BG did sit him out 2 years ago at the end of the year before he had his big year. If you consider 84 points a big year. I would bet he has only had 4 or 5 years averaging more then a point a game, that isn't a game breaker.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the way Kovalev has been treated, it makes signing a free agent even more difficult. NOBODY signs here as it is, and hey, I live here, I think it's a great city. Who'd sign here? if you don't play well, you get sent home. That's the perception.

I doubt that is a huge problem, i could be wrong. BG is one of the most well respected and honest GM's around. If players don't sign, that's on them. I for one am glad he didn't over pay for Briere and some other names.

Honestly, for all we know something may be on personally with Kovalev and BG put the heat on him instead of Kovalev.

If a player is playing poorly you shouldn't have to kiis his a## to make him feel better. Give him a group hug and turn things around.

Kovalev has been a coach killer for years.

I doubt that is a huge problem, i could be wrong. BG is one of the most well respected and honest GM's around. If players don't sign, that's on them. I for one am glad he didn't over pay for Briere and some other names.

Honestly, for all we know something may be on personally with Kovalev and BG put the heat on him instead of Kovalev.

If a player is playing poorly you shouldn't have to kiis his a## to make him feel better. Give him a group hug and turn things around.

Kovalev has been a coach killer for years.

I certainly don't want him back. he's good, but seeing how A. Kost plays on the rw and how we have to have kovalev always hogging that RW... I prefer to give that spot to A. Kost

also, Tanguay has shown a lot more compatibility with our team.

Kovalev now = a more talented Miroslav Satan. :(

we're sure gonna be in a good position to make a high bid for a big player this summer:

Speaking of which. Who are suppose to be the big name free agents this summer?

Maybe Bouwmeester, butt hats not a sure thing....who else?

t least KAovy has the potential to be a tremendous impact for the Habs. On the other hand, you know what you get with Bouillon, and it's not much. Yes he does bring a little grit and stand up for teammates, but their are many negatives to his game.

when you're 34 it's about potential it's about results. I four season in montreal Kovalev has been a disappointment in all but one season.

I don't know why you would even put Bouillon in te same sentence with Kovalev except if you say that '' Bouillon and Kovalev will both not be back next year.''

Bouillon may not have the talent of Kovy but at leats he gives you everything he has every game.

Tanguay still is in audition mode, considering he hasn't been around for the collapse. I'd say it's between him and Higgins for who to keep, and I think Tangs has the advantage, but we'll see. Higgins can be moved as part of a deal this offseason if need be. A LW depth chart of Tanguay, Latendresse, Pacioretty, and Stewart moving forward.

Centre is wide open... I think Lapierre is the only certainty to return, though you have to think one of the other 3 will still be around, and possibly Chipchura barring a trade. This is an area where they will look from outside to improve, although Maxwell could be a dark horse to make the team.

RW will have 5 returnees: Both Kostitsyns, D'Ago, Kostopolous and Laraque (though Laraque and Stewart probably will alternate on the LW). Kosto will get another contract.

D: They'll re-sign Komi despite his struggles recently. Other than that, it'll be bye-bye, and hello youth. They'll try and bring in a guy to play in the top 4, including a swing for the fences with Jay-Bo. I don't know if anyone would take the HAmrlik contract, though, if that were to happen.

G: Halak might get dealt and they'll bring in a vet to push Price.

Here's a link to the list of free agents http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unr...ts-by-position/

I have plenty of lists... but i don't care if wyatt smith is a UFA :P

I wanna know who's the top of the crop. who will rise to the top, who will pack it up, pack it in. :P

but your list is better since it sorts player by salary :D

Want list :

Bouwmeester

Beauchemin

Komisarek

Gaborik

Havlat

Hossa

Tanguay

Cole

BURROWS!

Connolly, Lang, Sedin, Madden, Sakic, Sundin afre all interesting but unlikely. If we want a center we have to trade for one. That lists makes me think that we'll surely re-sign Koivu.

interesting to see that both Laperriere and Neil are earning less than Begin! I'd get any of those guys in replacement of Begin (or even both! Kostopoulos Lappy and Neil! OUCH!)

I like Pleks. Maybe he'll be back next year?

He might be trade bait depending on a few factors. Trying to get a #1 centre could cost a guy like him (either in a direct trade or else in a seperate deal to save money). If unsuccessful in that pursuit, he should be retained... there is no in house solution for him and he's as good as a 26/27 year old centre as we can sign. He's just entering his prime, and is a better investment than Saku is at this point.

I say he's not a guarantee becuase of potential money issues. We'll have to see what we can get from outside this organization and then decide if Plekanec makes sense.

He might be trade bait depending on a few factors. Trying to get a #1 centre could cost a guy like him (either in a direct trade or else in a seperate deal to save money). If unsuccessful in that pursuit, he should be retained... there is no in house solution for him and he's as good as a 26/27 year old centre as we can sign. He's just entering his prime, and is a better investment than Saku is at this point.

I say he's not a guarantee becuase of potential money issues. We'll have to see what we can get from outside this organization and then decide if Plekanec makes sense.

yah, why wouldn't we trade pleks and higgs for lecavalier and be done with it? :P