One Gaffe Too Many for Tallon

MAK

Got canned this morning

Campbell for 7M

Huet for 5M

and the RFA snafu this summer

already the vultures flying over Chicago waiting for Kane, Toews Seabrook and Keith to become RFA.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284670

Edited by marky_and_komi

It's a shame though, because while he's made a lot of mistakes, he's done a good job building the team. Yeah, the Huet deal, along with dropping the ball with the RFA are pretty big mistakes, but look at the talent he has accumulated. Toews, Kane, Barker, Seabrook, Verstteg, etc etc. That's no small accomplishment.

Edited by TheBigRedC

too bad for Tallon. He might have made some mistakes, but you have to give him this: he (with the significant aid of Rocky Wirtz and some incredibly fortuitous draft picks) turned an unwatchable team into something truly interesting. I'll always be a habs fan, but I am thankful to have a local squad that I am eager to pay to go see.

It's a shame though, because while he's made a lot of mistakes, he's done a good job building the team. Yeah, the Huet deal, along with dropping the ball with the RFA are pretty big mistakes, but look at the talent he has accumulated. Toews, Kane, Barker, Seabrook, Verstteg, etc etc. That's no small accomplishment.

Barker and Seabrook were already there before Tallon took over. I find it hard to give a guy credit for his top 3 pick turning into a great player as well, that should be expected.

The Versteeg and Ladd deals he made were good though. The Sharp deal was a steal too.

Can't say that I'm too surprised. The new GM is going to have to pull off a few deals to keep the talented youth core.

He has put them in a position where they can't afford the core of their team moving forward.

Add to the fact that he made their salary cap hell worse by not filing paperwork on time and having

to pay a larger price for Versteeg and Barker because of it, and the guy was hardly Sam Pollock.

Facing the possibility of a declining cap and no money to re-up Toews/Kane/Keith he goes out and

spends another $5M on Hossa?

He was reacting, not projecting. Why sign Campbell when you have Barker?

The Hawks have now made two cutthroat moves, and I agree with both.

Barker and Seabrook were already there before Tallon took over. I find it hard to give a guy credit for his top 3 pick turning into a great player as well, that should be expected.

The Versteeg and Ladd deals he made were good though. The Sharp deal was a steal too.

Versteeg was fortunate, but I wouldnt call the Ladd deal good. So far Ladd's proved to be nothing but a 3rd liner, in the meanwhile Tuomo is a 1st liner in Carolina. Got to give the upper hand to Jim Rutherford there (who I think is one of the most underrated GMs in the league),

As for Tallon, his RFA gaffe is hard to swallow when it'll cost the team so much.

He wasnt fired per se though, he was demoted to senior advisor.

he was demoted the way Savard was demoted. once his contract is done he'll be advisor no more.

with his trades, I'd take him as a gm but he wouldn't be allowed to sign any UFAs !!

Versteeg was fortunate, but I wouldnt call the Ladd deal good. So far Ladd's proved to be nothing but a 3rd liner, in the meanwhile Tuomo is a 1st liner in Carolina. Got to give the upper hand to Jim Rutherford there (who I think is one of the most underrated GMs in the league),

Ladd had 49 points in 82 games and was a plus 26

Ruutu had 54 points in 78 games and was even

They both had 4 points in the playoffs. Ladd played one more game then Ruutu but was also a plus 3 while Ruutu was a -3

Sorry, if you want to talk production, they're basically identical. Ladd manages his production with 4 minutes less ice time as well.

If you want to look at their defensive game and doing all the little things to win, Ladd is the better player. Marginally, if we're comparing him to the Ruutu in Carolina. Way better if you compare him to the Ruutu they could've kept in Chicago who was useless defensively and marginal offensively.

It was a great deal for both teams no doubt but Chicago gets an edge.

Ladd had 49 points in 82 games and was a plus 26

Ruutu had 54 points in 78 games and was even

They both had 4 points in the playoffs. Ladd played one more game then Ruutu but was also a plus 3 while Ruutu was a -3

Sorry, if you want to talk production, they're basically identical. Ladd manages his production with 4 minutes less ice time as well.

If you want to look at their defensive game and doing all the little things to win, Ladd is the better player. Marginally, if we're comparing him to the Ruutu in Carolina. Way better if you compare him to the Ruutu they could've kept in Chicago who was useless defensively and marginal offensively.

It was a great deal for both teams no doubt but Chicago gets an edge.

Disagree.

Ladd benefited from a very opened style with no pressure in Chicago last season; and being surrounded bya deep, deep cast of great young talent. But he was mostly a checker, a good one, but a check nonetheless. And that's his game.

Ruutu is annoying as hell to play against. As an Eastern team fan, I can tell you, you notice Tuomo every time he's on the ice because he's all over the place hitting everything. And that's a guy who came back from very serious back and ankle injuries a couple of years ago and wasnt blessed with great linemates. His offensive production on top of that is almost a bonus.

You ask me which of the two I would have wanted on my team last season and the choice is obviously not Ladd.

Disagree.

Ladd benefited from a very opened style with no pressure in Chicago last season; and being surrounded bya deep, deep cast of great young talent. But he was mostly a checker, a good one, but a check nonetheless. And that's his game.

Ruutu is annoying as hell to play against. As an Eastern team fan, I can tell you, you notice Tuomo every time he's on the ice because he's all over the place hitting everything. And that's a guy who came back from very serious back and ankle injuries a couple of years ago and wasnt blessed with great linemates. His offensive production on top of that is almost a bonus.

You ask me which of the two I would have wanted on my team last season and the choice is obviously not Ladd.

So basically this is the summary

Eastern fan prefers Eastern player

Western fan prefers Western player

Bias's aside since we obviously watch each guy more then the other, you look at the numbers and theres no way that can't be called a good deal for Chicago. Ruutu was gonna struggle staying in Chicago and they got a 50 point player who is 3 years younger with a great defensive game and plays well on the PK for him.

Obviously it was a good trade for Carolina too since like you said, Ruutu played well for them but thats not that point. Good deal for Chicago too.

Ruutu is overpimped. Ladd's won a Cup. Ruutu is on the block. 'Nuff said.

:D

Ladd's overpimped as well, if you look at it.

HWL aside, Ladd and almost everyone taken after him are almost all big busts so far.

Wheeler, Olesz, Picard, Smid, Valabik, Tukonen, Thelen, Dubnyk, Radulov, Chipchura.. 2004 wasnt a great year for early picks,

Ladd's overpimped as well, if you look at it.

HWL aside, Ladd and almost everyone taken after him are almost all big busts so far.

Wheeler, Olesz, Picard, Smid, Valabik, Tukonen, Thelen, Dubnyk, Radulov, Chipchura.. 2004 wasnt a great year for early picks,

I'm really glad Wolski beat the crap out of some guy a week before the draft. He wouldn't of fallen to use if that didn't happen. Everyone had him in their top 10 before that.