No captain to start the season.

JoeLassister

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...s-capitaine.php

Bob says that there are a few "possible captains" in the locker room, but to choose one now would place him in an unconfortable position. He says that for now, early in the season, the team concept is more important than the captain.

Now this is interesting.. TSN is now reporting that the Leafs will also have three "A" and no "C"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293193

"A trio of defencemen will serve as alternates with recent additions Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin joining long-time Maple Leaf Tomas Kaberle ..."

now what were the odds of that happening at the start of last season...

Thursdays tilt will feature no team Captain for both teams; Looks like leadership is lacking on both sides of the rivalry.

If my vote had any weight.. I would pick Max Laps! for "C." With Gom, Gio and Markov as "A."

Edited by Chips

Now this is interesting.. TSN is now reporting that the Leafs will also have three "A" and no "C"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293193

"A trio of defencemen will serve as alternates with recent additions Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin joining long-time Maple Leaf Tomas Kaberle ..."

now what were the odds of that happening at the start of last season...

Thursdays tilt will feature no team Captain for both teams; Looks like leadership is lacking on both sides of the rivalry.

If my vote had any weight.. I would pick Max Laps! for "C." With Gom, Gio and Markov as "A."

Mad Max is a future Captain, no doubt about it.

But I think they will go with a veteran........Gio!

I donT' have a problem with this decision. I think too much importance is given to the captain. I say they shold wait til christmas before choosing a captain!

Laps is too young. Let him put together 3-4 strong, consistent seasons before we hang the "C" on him. He's also a hothead. Myself, I see Latendresse as a dark horse to be captain some day. Seems like a quieter, more level-headed type.

This is a good move. No need to be hasty, especially since Preseason means absolutely diddly-squat in terms of assessing the REAL fibre of the human beings on this team. Let's see how they handle some pressure and adversity before making the final call. My only question is why we were told that the team *would* pick a captain coming out of training camp! I was baffled by that. Nice to see good sense prevail.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm surprised Gomez isn't even in the running.

Good call by Martin. I'm just concerned by Gill who could be outplayed by O'Byrne and lose his roster spot during the season... Who knows ??

I think Gainey and Martin's intention is for Gill to be above Mara and Gorges on the depth chart. I'm a bit scared by that. :S

Laps is too young. Let him put together 3-4 strong, consistent seasons before we hang the "C" on him. He's also a hothead. Myself, I see Latendresse as a dark horse to be captain some day. Seems like a quieter, more level-headed type.

Both will get letters soon enough. Just read an article on the Habs new trainer Lorne Goldenberg, and he said Lapierre and Latendresse were "machines" (players obsessed with physical conditionning) in the same sort of mold as Gary Roberts. With pro athletes, the work-ethic often starts in the gym. But for now, being the only two Francos on the team and being just 24 and 22 yrs old, the last thing they need is the pressure of letters. They're kids still looking to find some level of consistency and identity as players. If you have to turn to guys like that for leadership when you have all sorts of vets around, you're in deep trouble already.

Gill because of his experience and happy-go-lucky attitude, Markov because of his excellence and consistency and Gionta because of his intensity are all good choices to share an "A". The Captain has to have what in French we call "prestance", ie. to naturally be imposing, bearing, a cut above the rest. Maybe Markov will come out of his shell and be a late bloomer who'll develop into a sort of Scott Niedermayer/Niklas Lidstrom quaterback figure. He's only one who can have that excellence status on the ice. It'd be my dream scenario.

No big deal.

If you think about it, we've been without a Captain since 1995

Aouch.

Turgeon didnt impress me much as captain, too timid, tended to fold under pressure and asked to be traded away when Koivu passed him in the depth chart. But Damphousse was quite good and stepped up when crunch time came. Koivu... too many failures and dissapointments.

I think it was pretty telling who the front runner is when they sent Gionta out to take the ceremonial faceoff with Kaberle (which is also very telling on Toronto's front).

Gionta has a serious lead on Captaincy, and it's only a matter of time now... however, no need to throw him into direct fire right away as the team still needs to gel and come together and be just that, a team.

I think it was pretty telling who the front runner is when they sent Gionta out to take the ceremonial faceoff with Kaberle (which is also very telling on Toronto's front).

Gionta has a serious lead on Captaincy, and it's only a matter of time now... however, no need to throw him into direct fire right away as the team still needs to gel and come together and be just that, a team.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Also, did you that play when he dove to force a turnover in the Leaf's zone?

It was orgasmic

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Also, did you that play when he dove to force a turnover in the Leaf's zone?

It was orgasmic

Yeah, reminded me of that Koivu highlight they showed where he dived on the PK to knock a puck out of the zone and up to Plek who had just come out of the box (who went in and scored). lol

Gionta taking the ceremonial faceoff + Gionta being our best player so far + Markov out long-term means Gionta will surely be named captain. Another little engine that could, but this one seems like he actually can.