Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm not going to start a debate in the rumour thread but I don't completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Sabres have done well in the playoffs the past couple of seasons. While they haven't won the cup, this doesn't mean that Briere wouldn't be able to EVER lead a team there. In all honesty, while I'm not saying that Briere would indeed be the best player to build a team around in the league, I wouldn't be dissapointed if he was the go-to-guy on the habs. While I don't believe he'll have quite as good a season as last year's, we have to remember that he got 95 points in the regular season and then led his team in scoring IN the playoffs. When's the last time a player on the habs has reached 90+ points? I think I've just convinced myself even more that I'd like to see him here. Oh and also, I do not think that Koivu and Briere would get shredded in the playoffs.

They'd get beat up for sure, but that's not to say that they can't transcend such punishment and succeed. If nothing else, Koivu is known for rising above adversity.

Can't wait to see what Bob does!

I'm not going to start a debate in the rumour thread but I don't completely agree with this. Keep in mind the Sabres have done well in the playoffs the past couple of seasons. While they haven't won the cup, this doesn't mean that Briere wouldn't be able to EVER lead a team there. In all honesty, while I'm not saying that Briere would indeed be the best player to build a team around in the league, I wouldn't be dissapointed if he was the go-to-guy on the habs. While I don't believe he'll have quite as good a season as last year's, we have to remember that he got 95 points in the regular season and then led his team in scoring IN the playoffs. When's the last time a player on the habs has reached 90+ points? I think I've just convinced myself even more that I'd like to see him here. Oh and also, I do not think that Koivu and Briere would get shredded in the playoffs.

Well, I agree that Briere is an excellent player...although I don't think he would get 95 points with us. The issue is having two smurfs at the crucial C position. You have to have a sensible balance. I admire your optimism about the playoffs, but guys like Pronger and Beauchemin would pulverize them in a 7-game series...assuming they could even get to the Finals without one of them being either injured or so beaten-up as to be ineffective. No, we need a Marleau or Lecavalier, someone big and skilled, if we're ever to win a Cup - which is the point of the exercise.

Were again thinking 2 smurf centres = smurf lines

remember it takes 3 to tango... with the bigger wingers you can have the smaller centres

Were again thinking 2 smurf centres = smurf lines

remember it takes 3 to tango... with the bigger wingers you can have the smaller centres

A fair point. I suppose we have Latendresse who is a possible top-6 winger. Kovalev is big but seldom plays like it. Other than that, I don't see any top-6 hulking power-forward wingers in the system. So yes, CoRvInA, your point works in theory but seems irrelevant to the Habs as currently constituted. It would be foolish to acquire Briere on the *assumption* that we'll be able to make a bunch of further deals to get our hands on big strong wingers. Barring some radical rejigging of the whole roster, we still need that big C IMHO.

While I'm rambling, part of me suspects that Gainey will do something much more modest and unexpected, e.g., inking C Sykora to a relatively short-term deal, something like that. While Sykora wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Pleks, he would give us a bit more overall offensive dynamism (and some desperately-needed proven goal-scoring) at what is likely to be a reasonably affordable price, leaving room for a larger-scale upgrade either through trade or UFA in 2008.

Don't get me wrong, a guy like him isn't the answer. I'm just saying that it's the sort of modest move that seems to appeal to Gainey.

But his real efforts, I suspect, will be on D.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

A fair point. I suppose we have Latendresse who is a possible top-6 winger. Kovalev is big but seldom plays like it. Other than that, I don't see any top-6 hulking power-forward wingers in the system. So yes, CoRvInA, your point works in theory but seems irrelevant to the Habs as currently constituted. It would be foolish to acquire Briere on the *assumption* that we'll be able to make a bunch of further deals to get our hands on big strong wingers. Barring some radical rejigging of the whole roster, we still need that big C IMHO.

While I'm rambling, part of me suspects that Gainey will do something much more modest and unexpected, e.g., inking C Sykora to a relatively short-term deal, something like that. While Sykora wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Pleks, he would give us a bit more overall offensive dynamism (and some desperately-needed proven goal-scoring) at what is likely to be a reasonably affordable price, leaving room for a larger-scale upgrade either through trade or UFA in 2008.

Don't get me wrong, a guy like him isn't the answer. I'm just saying that it's the sort of modest move that seems to appeal to Gainey.

But his real efforts, I suspect, will be on D.

I hope so... if you read my other comments I'm the guy who wants Yashin and other cheaper big Centres LOL but my point on Briere is just objective with regards IF we adquire him... definetly get the Bigger wingers and it would work

Whatever happens I'm a happy just if come October we are considered top 3 team in the East with regards to the D corps

then it will be EASIER "I hope" to go get the wingers or Centres we needthrough trade!

If now Gainey gets Sykora after passing on him last year for Samsonov, I'm calling for his head.

Let me say this, I don't think Briere is the answer, and I don't expect Bob thinks he is, either. But freaking Sykora? You've got to be kidding me.

Like it or not folks we might be getting Briere afterall.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070701.html

What I like about this story is the following:

Briere, 29, could command upwards of $7 million, per season, via the open market, but would be willing to sign for less if it meant playing for the Habs next season

I suppose that I could live with signing Briere long-term IF he comes at a relatively moderate price (in this context - sigh - $6 mil). That would at least give us a bit of maneouvering room in the future, either to trade him or to add more UFAs in future. My fear is a deal that would lock the Habs into Briere at really huge dollars and lock us irreparably into a Koivu/Briere structure for the next half-decade.

I'll concede this much - Briere would add a huge dimension of excitement to the club.

Another, more remote possibility is that, if Briere really grabs the nettle and produces and becomes the face of the team, we become free to trade Koivu - to a contender, presumably, which is all he'd be likely to agree to - in exchange for a beefier C. But maybe, just maybe, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself :lol:

I'd believe it only if it happened. Usually the only Francophones that want to play in Montreal were drafted by the team or tier 3 guys. But I suppose Dumont did want to play for Montreal and Dumont and Briere are good friends, so maybe they shared fantasies of the :hlogo: but I still don't think much of these rumors.

And the 4th period... geez, that's not a credible source. Neither is Bruce Garrioch although he was talking about Pronger leaving Edmonton during their Cup run last year. Remember, we were trading up to get Espo according to everyone in the free press.

That's another one I oppose...I love Kariya but do we really need small, skilled wingers?

In Bob We Trust.

People focus too much on size still. I could care less if a guy is huge or small, if they produce, or are able to find the gaps and create plays....then who cares?

People focus too much on size still. I could care less if a guy is huge or small, if they produce, or are able to find the gaps and create plays....then who cares?

Don't get me wrong. Kariya is a terrific player, one that (in fact) I always thought of as a prototypical, classic Montreal Canadien, with his gorgeous skating and stylish rushes. But remember the Samsonov experiment: it is possible to have too many of the same *type* of player on your team. I would worry about a Kariya signing for that reason. But hey, I'd certainly learn to live with it.

Gainey stepped up with 6 years at $7M per year offer to Briere ($42M and the length is too much IMO)

Edited by Habitforming

Don't get me wrong. Kariya is a terrific player, one that (in fact) I always thought of as a prototypical, classic Montreal Canadien, with his gorgeous skating and stylish rushes. But remember the Samsonov experiment: it is possible to have too many of the same *type* of player on your team. I would worry about a Kariya signing for that reason. But hey, I'd certainly learn to live with it.

Sasmsonov had no strength left in his wrist and couldn't shoot. Kariya is perfectly healthy and a consumate professional.

The two players aren't comparable at all.

That being said, a Kariya would have to fit with a different type of signing, he on his own is not the solution.

Sasmsonov had no strength left in his wrist and couldn't shoot. Kariya is perfectly healthy and a consumate professional.

That being said, a Kariya would have to fit with a different type of signing, he on his own is not the solution.

Judging by how far off Samsonov was (he fit the team perfectly, speed, offense, creativity etc) there is no way we can say Kariya would/ would not fit the Canadiens as a solution.

Kariya likes his privacy. We won't see him in MTL.

The offer from Montreal to Briere is mentioned in this blog

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/onrait/?id=212405

Funny blog. ^_^

Damn, I'm off to celebrate some irritating family holiday called 'Canada Day.' Won't be able to hover stupidly over the computer waiting for news anymore. Bah.

From thefourthperiod

"Meanwhile, the reports suggest the Canadiens have made one last-ditch effort to try and re-sign defenseman Sheldon Souray.

Souray has expressed his interest in returning to Montreal and does truly enjoy playing for the Habs. Whether he's interested in their latest offer remains to be seen, but sources say he will field calls from other teams later today before making any decisions. "

Now we know.

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070701.html

From thefourthperiod

"Meanwhile, the reports suggest the Canadiens have made one last-ditch effort to try and re-sign defenseman Sheldon Souray.

Souray has expressed his interest in returning to Montreal and does truly enjoy playing for the Habs. Whether he's interested in their latest offer remains to be seen, but sources say he will field calls from other teams later today before making any decisions. "

Now we know.

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070701.html

He could have stepped up and said it to the powers that be.