Habs over cap by $68,751 in 2009-10

saskhab

http://www.capgeek.com/news/20100702-nine-...nce-bonuses.php

Not nearly as bad as it could have been if Price had hit most of his bonus levels (levels he hit in full his first two seasons).

Blackhawks were over by $4,157,753. Price of winning? Well, somehow 29th place Toronto was over the cap by $1.4m, and 30th place Edmonton was over by $354,500. :lol:

And so the Hawks' cap is now closer to $55.2M?

That's wild.

Yep, that's why they've sold off more players than most would've thought. The bad thing for them is, they may still have to make a move or two.

Interesting how the NHL works.

I know this would never happen but in theory could a team load up on stars, go way over the cap and go for it all in one season and just pay for it the next season?

Interesting how the NHL works.

I know this would never happen but in theory could a team load up on stars, go way over the cap and go for it all in one season and just pay for it the next season?

It's only for bonus amounts that you're allowed to go over, since at the beginning of the year you may or may not have to pay them. The Habs were over because of guys on rookie contracts (Price, maybe Pyatt, S. Kostitsyn, Subban, etc.) achieving bonuses on their contracts. Only rookie contracts and players above 35 years old (Brisebois used to have a games played bonus, for example) are eligible for bonuses.

The Hawks went over, knowing full well it could hurt them. Toews winning the Conn Smythe triggered over $1m in bonuses they might not have anticipated (they should have been actively campaigning the media to award it to Duncan Keith instead!). Both Toews and Kane's bonuses pushed them above, but probalby a guy like Hjalmarsson had some as well.

The Hawks went over, knowing full well it could hurt them. Toews winning the Conn Smythe triggered over $1m in bonuses they might not have anticipated (they should have been actively campaigning the media to award it to Duncan Keith instead!). Both Toews and Kane's bonuses pushed them above, but probalby a guy like Hjalmarsson had some as well.

Surprisingly, Hjalmarsson didn't have any, that was quite a cheap deal he was on actually. The only other player that had bonuses that played for the Hawks that I can think of was Skille, and I doubt he played enough for Chicago to hit them.

http://www.capgeek.com/news/20100702-nine-...nce-bonuses.php

Not nearly as bad as it could have been if Price had hit most of his bonus levels (levels he hit in full his first two seasons).

Blackhawks were over by $4,157,753. Price of winning? Well, somehow 29th place Toronto was over the cap by $1.4m, and 30th place Edmonton was over by $354,500. :lol:

I'd say it's more the price of Tallon being an idiot with his RFA's...

• 2 weeks later...

I hate one thing about how the Cap system works... that is when you can give a 10 year contracts to a 30 year old knowing he wont play the last 4 years so you can decrease the average by paying him pennies those years.... I would make the cap hit be the average of the present and the following one or max 2 seasons. That way (for example) Marian Hossa's Cap hit would be 7.9 mil a year until 2017 (when he' probably retire instead of 5.2 mil as it is now!

I hate one thing about how the Cap system works... that is when you can give a 10 year contracts to a 30 year old knowing he wont play the last 4 years so you can decrease the average by paying him pennies those years.... I would make the cap hit be the average of the present and the following one or max 2 seasons. That way (for example) Marian Hossa's Cap hit would be 7.9 mil a year until 2017 (when he' probably retire instead of 5.2 mil as it is now!

Just limit contracts to 7 years maximum. That'd end a lot of the foolishness. Sure, guys would still sign some 34 year old to a 7 year deal, but that's their own perogative (and at 34, the player is already on the decline, unless he's Alfredsson or Whitney or some other freak).