2010 Hamilton Offseason Discussion

BlueKross

Gee all the stories going around, yet I don't hear anything on Shawn Belle. In his brief stint in Montreal, I thought he played OK. He has to be real close to making a NHL roster. Am I missing something?

That's largely because Belle is a UFA next week, it's yet to be seen if he's actually going to be part of the organization next season. At best, he's a depth NHL'er which aren't necessarily that hard to find. (And this is coming from someone who likes what Belle brings to the table...)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's rumblings out of the Gazette that Frederic St. Denis is set to sign a new deal. I'll be curious to see if he's agreed to another AHL deal or whether he'll get an NHL two-way contract. Glad to hear he'll be back in the fold though.

From what I am reading the coaching decision may occur later in the summer. I will rephase my question. Who will be at the second developmental camp overseeing the activities?

From what I am reading the coaching decision may occur later in the summer. I will rephase my question. Who will be at the second developmental camp overseeing the activities?

Muller, Pearn, Timmins, I'd guess. Have any of Boucher's assistants left for Tampa yet?

Muller, Pearn, Timmins, I'd guess. Have any of Boucher's assistants left for Tampa yet?

You don't sound too sure. I would expect that this year's Bulldogs coach would have a say in retaining any undrafted player who could end up in Hamilton this year. Therefore I predict that your next head coach will be in attendance at the early July camp. i would say if you want to scoop the new coach, watch who shows up here.

Doesn't sound like Weber will be available much longer, he's apparently interested in the Rochester job and has interviewed with 4 teams already. His assistant has also left Cincy to take over as head coach for Greenville.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...ochester-Amerks

According to the Cyclones' Twitter page, Weber may be up for an NHL assistant job in Minnesota, good for him.

HF Boards has both Urquhart (David) and Bonneau listed as AHL contracts.

Shawn Belle has been signed by Edmonton per TSN. My wish was that the Bulldogs had signed both Belle and Henry to give them some muscle. Secondly if there is a run on defensemen going down in Montreal, there is not alot of depth in Hamilton. Belle and Henry would have given them some options. I believe Montreal will sign a couple of veteran defensemen to play in Hamilton and possibly sign an invitee or two to give them coverage in Cinci.

Shawn Belle has been signed by Edmonton per TSN. My wish was that the Bulldogs had signed both Belle and Henry to give them some muscle. Secondly if there is a run on defensemen going down in Montreal, there is not alot of depth in Hamilton. Belle and Henry would have given them some options. I believe Montreal will sign a couple of veteran defensemen to play in Hamilton and possibly sign an invitee or two to give them coverage in Cinci.

I'm not sure where Klubertanz is on the depth chart, but he's an interesting option for sure given the numbers he put up in Sweden. There is still Weber and Carle (if Carle is in Hamilton) as well, and this Brenden Nash kid that's probably a bit raw to be considering for a callup this season, I suppose.

If you're resorting to Belle or Henry for more than just 1 or 2 games as callups, you're in trouble anyways. Good AHLers, but unrealistic NHLers. If Klubertanz is legit, we do run about 10 deep on D, so that's good. Though I agree, Hamilton could probably use another muscle guy on D, preferably one with experience.

I'm not sure where Klubertanz is on the depth chart, but he's an interesting option for sure given the numbers he put up in Sweden. There is still Weber and Carle (if Carle is in Hamilton) as well, and this Brenden Nash kid that's probably a bit raw to be considering for a callup this season, I suppose.

If you're resorting to Belle or Henry for more than just 1 or 2 games as callups, you're in trouble anyways. Good AHLers, but unrealistic NHLers. If Klubertanz is legit, we do run about 10 deep on D, so that's good. Though I agree, Hamilton could probably use another muscle guy on D, preferably one with experience.

Saskhab- When I start agreeing with you, I have the notion one of us is swimming in the wrong pool. I have one of Carle or Weber pencilled in as seventh defenseman because Markov is out till Nov. late. I presume the one that ends up in Hamilton, will be the first call-up as defenseman goes. After that it gets real dicey. Perhaps Klubertanz. Maybe Wyman gets a shot. I think they have to bring some size and veteran depth in case their is a run of injuries in Montreal. I hope Belle gets a real chance in Edmonton.

Saskhab- When I start agreeing with you, I have the notion one of us is swimming in the wrong pool. I have one of Carle or Weber pencilled in as seventh defenseman because Markov is out till Nov. late. I presume the one that ends up in Hamilton, will be the first call-up as defenseman goes. After that it gets real dicey. Perhaps Klubertanz. Maybe Wyman gets a shot. I think they have to bring some size and veteran depth in case their is a run of injuries in Montreal. I hope Belle gets a real chance in Edmonton.

:lol: As Habs fans, we still have more in agreement with each other than most.

Belle might deserve more of a look. I have no idea, really. He's been passed around the minors so much it's hard to know if he's improved any. I have nothing against the guy, and if he's deserving, then hopefully Edmonton gives him the opportunity. Just like Alex Giroux signing there... these guys have to get a shot sometime, right?

Klubertanz to me is the real wildcard. I suppose he could just be this year's Benoit and nothing more, but he has a lot of pro experience and recent pro success at a tougher league than the AHL, so he looks like a bubble guy to me. But yeah, they could use some muscle down there by the looks of things. I think Wyman is permanently a forward now,

Hamilton D: Carle/Weber, Klubertanz, Nash, St. Denis, Urquhart (AHL only)... I think that's it.

Nash is the only guy solidly above 6' at 6'3, 206. He could use some help, especially since he's a rookie.

Belle got a pretty good deal from the Oilers, a guaranteed $150k at the AHL level. That would've put him as the 2nd highest paid Bulldog by comparison. Henry's still unsigned and I think he may find his way back to Hamilton at some point. Julien BriseBois noted there's some of the UFA's that they want back; considering there's a pretty good crop of forwards there already, I think he was referring to the D, captain Henry in particular.

Hamilton released their schedule (sort of) recently, they play 18 of the 28 other teams this year. The actual schedule hasn't yet been released but here's the breakdown vs each opponent:

North

Abbotsford (CGY) - 4 home / 4 away

Grand Rapids (DET) - 3 home / 3 away

Lake Erie (COL) - 4 home / 4 away

Manitoba (VAN) - 4 home / 4 away

Rochester (FLA) - 5 home / 5 away

Toronto (TOR) - 5 home / 5 away (2 less times than last year)

West

Chicago (ATL) - 2 home / 2 away

Houston (MIN) - 1 home / 1 away

Milwaukee (NSH) - 1 home / 1 away

Oklahoma City (EDM) - 1 home / 1 away (new team)

Peoria (STL) - 1 home / 1 away

Rockford (CHI) - 1 home / 1 away

San Antonio (PHX) - 1 home / 1 away

Texas (DAL) - 1 home / 1 away

East

Adirondack (PHI) - 2 home / 2 away

Binghamton (OTT) - 1 home / 1 away

Syracuse (ANA) - 2 home / 2 away

Atlantic

Hartford (NYR) - 1 home / 1 away

I really wish they would release the schedule already. I'm looking into doing a barnstorming tour through Manitoba and Minnesota and would like to move forward with some plans!

Belle got a pretty good deal from the Oilers, a guaranteed $150k at the AHL level. That would've put him as the 2nd highest paid Bulldog by comparison. Henry's still unsigned and I think he may find his way back to Hamilton at some point. Julien BriseBois noted there's some of the UFA's that they want back; considering there's a pretty good crop of forwards there already, I think he was referring to the D, captain Henry in particular.

Henry is about the only habs's UFA left. Stewart has signed in Edmonton per HF Boards. Glumac has signed in Europe and I don't have reference for him. Sorry

A pair of Randy's, Cunneyworth and Ladouceur, are now behind the bench for Hamilton (the former as head coach). Not surprisingly, Lacroix/Raymond resign to join Tampa Bay. All of Hamilton's management (GM and coaches) are now in Tampa, could this be the first time ever where an entire AHL management team goes together to work for/run an NHL club?

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2103

HF boards has Randy Cunneyworth named as new head coach of the Bulldogs. He was the coach of Rochester who was kicking the Bulldogs butt for more years than I care to remember. I know he played in Ottawa, but I don't know if there is a Martin conection or not. I have no idea where he has been the last few years. Ironically, many blogs on other board indicated that they had no idea who he was. I think that is why I prefer this board. The posters have been around for a while.

HF boards has Randy Cunneyworth named as new head coach of the Bulldogs. He was the coach of Rochester who was kicking the Bulldogs butt for more years than I care to remember. I know he played in Ottawa, but I don't know if there is a Martin conection or not. I have no idea where he has been the last few years. Ironically, many blogs on other board indicated that they had no idea who he was. I think that is why I prefer this board. The posters have been around for a while.

There is a Martin connection, I noted it actually in the link above your post. He played for Martin for 2.5 years.

There is a Martin connection, I noted it actually in the link above your post. He played for Martin for 2.5 years.

Sorry dlbair I didn't have luxury of reading your thread before I posted. I actually posted on a new thread but it got moved. Let me state the obvious. I expect that it is Carriere's experience with Cunneyworth in Rochester that made this hire valid. Where was Cunneyworth when Florida took over Rochester? Was Martin able to see Cunneyworth as a coach in his organization?

Sorry dlbair I didn't have luxury of reading your thread before I posted. I actually posted on a new thread but it got moved. Let me state the obvious. I expect that it is Carriere's experience with Cunneyworth in Rochester that made this hire valid. Where was Cunneyworth when Florida took over Rochester? Was Martin able to see Cunneyworth as a coach in his organization?

I don't think so. I seem to remember him leaving as Florida took over the Amerks. Martin was in Florida the first season that Rochester was a Florida affiliate but the new coaching staff was in place by then.