2010 Hamilton Offseason Discussion

BlueKross

I have been told that the Bulldogs would like to have Sanford back again next season. I guess we'll see what happens...

Lammy: Do you think either Sanford or Desjardins has played well enough to get a look see in Montreal as the back up, in the case of one of the present goalies getting moved out in Montreal?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lammy: Do you think either Sanford or Desjardins has played well enough to get a look see in Montreal as the back up, in the case of one of the present goalies getting moved out in Montreal?

Nothing against Sanford, but I think that Cedrick deserves a shot. He's been in the system for a few years now and has played very very well when called upon to do so.

Nothing against Sanford, but I think that Cedrick deserves a shot. He's been in the system for a few years now and has played very very well when called upon to do so.

I haven't got a clue why Desjardins didn't start one of the last three games? looking back, it probably was a fatal mistake.

I haven't got a clue why Desjardins didn't start one of the last three games? looking back, it probably was a fatal mistake.

Lammy: You can make a contrite statement now, Boucher is gone. Do you think benching Desjardins was a coaching mistake?

Lammy: You can make a contrite statement now, Boucher is gone. Do you think benching Desjardins was a coaching mistake?

That's an interesting question. It was obvious that Cedrick was getting fatigued with all the starts resulting from Sanford's injury. Where I think that the coaching mistake happened was by not playing Robert Mayer in more games (during that time in the regular season until the playoffs began) to give Desjardins a rest every few games.

Edited by Lammy

That's an interesting question. It was obvious that Cedrick was getting fatigued with all the starts resulting from Sanford's injury. Where I think that the coaching mistake happened was by not playing Robert Mayer in more games (during that time in the regular season until the playoffs began) to give Desjardins a rest every few games.

Did Mayer get into any of those games while Sanford was out. Do you recall how many games Sanford was out during that last IR stint?

Did Mayer get into any of those games while Sanford was out. Do you recall how many games Sanford was out during that last IR stint?

Mayer played one game in Sanford's absence, losing in a shootout to the Marlies. Sanford missed the final 6 games of the regular season and the first 6 of the playoffs.

Mayer played one game in Sanford's absence, losing in a shootout to the Marlies. Sanford missed the final 6 games of the regular season and the first 6 of the playoffs.

I think Lammy has a point. I would assess the situation like this; regardless of whether Desjardins should have got more relief during the 12 games missed by Sanford or that Desjardins should have got another start at the end, I believe a coaching mistake was made. Hind sight is nice, but means spit now. Who in your mind leads this ship going forward?

I think Lammy has a point. I would assess the situation like this; regardless of whether Desjardins should have got more relief during the 12 games missed by Sanford or that Desjardins should have got another start at the end, I believe a coaching mistake was made. Hind sight is nice, but means spit now. Who in your mind leads this ship going forward?

Part of me wants to see Chuck Weber get a chance, I think he's earned it and has worked with several players on the roster already. That being said, if the Habs are to continue with the language requirements, then it only makes sense to bring in a bilingual coach, one that they can groom to take over with the Habs one day. I've no clue who's available out of the Q league right now.

Kirk Muller could be Hamilton's coach. He is looking for an AHL head coaching job (to one day be a NHL coach) and Hamilton is one of the AHL head coaching vacancies.

Kirk Muller could be Hamilton's coach. He is looking for an AHL head coaching job (to one day be a NHL coach) and Hamilton is one of the AHL head coaching vacancies.

Muller would be a obvious fit if indeed he is looking for a Ahl head coaching job. Does Muller speak French? I like the idea of grooming head coachs for the parent club, in the minor leagues. I like the idea of Weber coming up. I don't like the idea of developing coaches for a winfall for another organization. Whomever you bring in, the future goal of head coach in Montreal should be part of the thinking.

Muller would be a obvious fit if indeed he is looking for a Ahl head coaching job. Does Muller speak French? I like the idea of grooming head coachs for the parent club, in the minor leagues. I like the idea of Weber coming up. I don't like the idea of developing coaches for a winfall for another organization. Whomever you bring in, the future goal of head coach in Montreal should be part of the thinking.

Despite his lengthy career in Montreal to date, he's never spoken French in public, so I doubt he ever will. On RDS, he's interviewed in English only.

I don't think your AHL coach necessarily needs to be your own coach in waiting, either. Look at what Tampa and Columbus just did: you can hire other team's AHL coaches if need be, it's just more difficult.

Despite his lengthy career in Montreal to date, he's never spoken French in public, so I doubt he ever will. On RDS, he's interviewed in English only.

I don't think your AHL coach necessarily needs to be your own coach in waiting, either. Look at what Tampa and Columbus just did: you can hire other team's AHL coaches if need be, it's just more difficult.

I disagree. The Montreal coaching position has the caveat apparently of the need to have a French speaking head coach. Tampa and Columbus can pirate coaches from around the world. Montreal has a very limited bag of coachs. Secondly I think it is very important to have similar systems at both levels so players coming up fit automatically into the system. I would say it is crucial that Hamilton be grooming the next head coach.

I disagree. The Montreal coaching position has the caveat apparently of the need to have a French speaking head coach. Tampa and Columbus can pirate coaches from around the world. Montreal has a very limited bag of coachs. Secondly I think it is very important to have similar systems at both levels so players coming up fit automatically into the system. I would say it is crucial that Hamilton be grooming the next head coach.

Sorry for the lateness of this response, but Muller going to the AHL creates a vacancy at the NHL assistant position. You can hire a francophone for that position if you feel like you need a guy as Martin's replacement in house.

Muller was the assistant last year and knows Montreal's system as well as anyone. Why wouldn't he be able to implement the Canadiens' system in Hamilton?

Sorry for the lateness of this response, but Muller going to the AHL creates a vacancy at the NHL assistant position. You can hire a francophone for that position if you feel like you need a guy as Martin's replacement in house.

Muller was the assistant last year and knows Montreal's system as well as anyone. Why wouldn't he be able to implement the Canadiens' system in Hamilton?

I don't have a problem with Muller or Weber. Why don't we put Carbonneau into the mix. We give prospects all kinds of breaks because of their youth, why wouldn't you give a first time coach in the NHL some slack? Seems like a good choice to me.

I don't have a problem with Muller or Weber. Why don't we put Carbonneau into the mix. We give prospects all kinds of breaks because of their youth, why wouldn't you give a first time coach in the NHL some slack? Seems like a good choice to me.

Carbonneau has been quoted as saying no to an AHL Job at this time.

After their work with Team Canada this year, I doubt Carbonneau or MacTavish get a NHL offer anytime soon. Carbo's U-18 squad was diastrous.

I'm going to split this from the tracker page as I'd like the tracker page to be for Bulldog signings/acquisitions and whatnot, a 1 page thread covering all the movements. Feel free to keep up the discussions in here.

I forgot to post this here the other day (I did on the Hamilton forum though) but Andre Tourigny, the Rouyn-Noranda coach apparently wants the job. He'd satisfy the french speaking requirement, if the Habs deem there should be one.

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/300771.html

I'm just waiting in the shadows on this one to see what happens......

I don't think we will have to wait long. You would think there would be someone in place for the early July orientation camp. Lammy, have you any inside information on what guest prospects may be there? I am expecting this years draft picks, Schultz and Eller, possibly a suspect or two from June's camp. Can you get a read on the numbers of new faces we will see in Hamilton?

Can you get a read on the numbers of new faces we will see in Hamilton?

There is always a high turn over in the AHL rosters from season to season. There are a lot of Bulldogs players contracts which need to be addressed this off-season, so it's really hard for me to say (and I would be guessing) who might be returning and who may be coming in to fill some vacant roster positions.

There is always a high turn over in the AHL rosters from season to season. There are a lot of Bulldogs players contracts which need to be addressed this off-season, so it's really hard for me to say (and I would be guessing) who might be returning and who may be coming in to fill some vacant roster positions.

Gee all the stories going around, yet I don't hear anything on Shawn Belle. In his brief stint in Montreal, I thought he played OK. He has to be real close to making a NHL roster. Am I missing something?