GDT: Rangers vs Canadiens, Jan. 15

dlbalr

i missed most of the game - just caught the last 10 minutes - looked like Price held the fort at the end.

we had company over and their screaming kids insisted on putting on their barney video;s :angry:

was the PP as effective as the box score shows?

i missed most of the game - just caught the last 10 minutes - looked like Price held the fort at the end.

we had company over and their screaming kids insisted on putting on their barney video;s :angry:

was the PP as effective as the box score shows?

Yes it was. In the first. The Wiz has really changed our PP, 9 points in seven games. Baffling. But in the second, on the Rangers' too-many-men, the Habs had ten gilt-edged scoring chances and couldn't score.

Yes it was. In the first. The Wiz has really changed our PP, 9 points in seven games. Baffling. But in the second, on the Rangers' too-many-men, the Habs had ten gilt-edged scoring chances and couldn't score.

You know, it's the third season in a row that Habs' management makes a mid-season move to add a defenceman, resulting in a massive boost to the PP. Two years ago, it was Schneider. last year it was MAB. And this season the Wiz. Hopefully the Wiz turns out to be a long-term solution, not a band-aid, because while his defensive play is clearly not top-drawer, he's a legit top-4 guy and should be sewn up for a few seasons - especially given the uncertainty around Markov.

You know, it's the third season in a row that Habs' management makes a mid-season move to add a defenceman, resulting in a massive boost to the PP. Two years ago, it was Schneider. last year it was MAB. And this season the Wiz. Hopefully the Wiz turns out to be a long-term solution, not a band-aid, because while his defensive play is clearly not top-drawer, he's a legit top-4 guy and should be sewn up for a few seasons - especially given the uncertainty around Markov.

Wiz is probably one of the top 3 pickups the habs have had through a trade duirng the last 15 years or so (the other's IMO are Kovy and Gorges). I hope we resign him, but I hope its to a reasonable contract. I think the fact that WIz came in and becomes one our top Dman, really shows how a lot of people over-rated our dmen.

Next year i hope our core D will consist of the following:

-Markov - Yes he has been injury prone, but the habs made the mistake in the 90"s of writing of Chelios who had a couple of knee injuries for an aging Savard. But again it needs to be for a reasonable contract. He's the guy I'd want paired up with PK. I think one of the biggest mistakes Serge Savard made in the late 80's/early 90's, was letting too many off his veteran Dman walk away without a suitable return) like Robinson, Green, Ludwig all at once and there really wasn't a mentor around for the next wave. Trading Chelios shortly afterwards made the loss of experience a harder hit.

Subban - I don't think any explanation is necessary.

Wiz - If we can lock him up for something in the under $4m, would be a great deal - I am nervous for committing more then that. It would probably take something in the $4.5M if he continues producing at his current clip, but I really hope the habs don't go continue with the trend of over paying in $$$ and over-committing in term.

Gorges - We need to sign him, as he's become a leader on the blue line.

Given Spacek's age and contract and the CBA rules, I think we are stuck with him next year, which leaves 2 positions. I'd like us to go out and get a physical Shutdown Dman that CAN SKATE!! Then leave the last two positions (including the spare man - which may end up being SPacek) open to some our kids like Weber, Carle, or whoever has a strong camp.

I dont want anything to do with Gill or Hamrlik - Yes Gill has been a leader and strong on the PK, But really, is a terrible 5 on 5 and will be over 35. Ditto with Hamrlik. We really can't afford to have more then 1 over 35 dman on the team, under the current CBA rules - especially with Spacek already eating up $3.5M in cap space. I'd rather take a risk on Markov's knees then re-siging Hammer or Gill.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I wish I had been able to catch more of the game. once our company left, i was able to switch over to RDS and checked the game stats online and it seemed like the usual habs issue of them sitting back with the lead in the third. From what I saw, Price really saved them in the third - he didn't look pretty on some of the saves, but got the job done and it was nice to see him with a strong effort after things fell apart against the Pens.

A wins a win. Maybe Kostitsyn can get it going again.

Did AK get much time with Pleks and Cammy?

I wish I had been able to catch more of the game. once our company left, i was able to switch over to RDS and checked the game stats online and it seemed like the usual habs issue of them sitting back with the lead in the third. From what I saw, Price really saved them in the third - he didn't look pretty on some of the saves, but got the job done and it was nice to see him with a strong effort after things fell apart against the Pens.

Did AK get much time with Pleks and Cammy?

The Habs should have been up 5 or 6-1 heading into the 3rd. Lundqvist made two huge saves and with a couple

of fortunate bounces could have had a couple more.

The Habs didn't sit back. They pushed the play and were outshooting the Rangers 6-4 until the Zuccarello goal.

At that point the shots were 6-6 in the period and 35-17 for the Habs.

Everybody seems to think that being outshot means you are sitting back. The fact is there are two teams on the ice

and the Rangers seized momentum and dominated the cycle down low causing multiple breakdowns and multiple

scoring chances. That is hockey, but they DID NOT sit back in that game.

If the Rangers had tied the game it would have had more to do with Lundqvist allowing them an opportunity to

steal 2 two points, nothing more.

That was one of the more dominant Canadiens performances of the season.

Edited by Wamsley01

Unfortunately most of this is due to Markov not being able to remain healthy.

The Habs should have been up 5 or 6-1 heading into the 3rd. Lundqvist made two huge saves and with a couple

of fortunate bounces could have had a couple more.

The Habs didn't sit back. They pushed the play and were outshooting the Rangers 6-4 until the Zuccarello goal.

At that point the shots were 6-6 in the period and 35-17 for the Habs.

Everybody seems to think that being outshot means you are sitting back. The fact is there are two teams on the ice

and the Rangers seized momentum and dominated the cycle down low causing multiple breakdowns and multiple

scoring chances. That is hockey, but they DID NOT sit back in that game.

If the Rangers had tied the game it would have had more to do with Lundqvist allowing them an opportunity to

steal 2 two points, nothing more.

That was one of the more dominant Canadiens performances of the season.

I only caught around the last 10min of the third, so that's all i'm going by. THis morning in the recap it sounded like the habs really dominated duirng the first two periods and sounded like the PP was pretty effective and SUbban and Wiz played well together on the PP.

BTW, after the habs game ended i flipped over to the CBC to catch the flames-Leafs shootout and it was too funny listening to totally biased play by play in a SHOOTOUT!!! Then when hat blowhard sour grapes came on he didn't even acknowledge the habs played - i thought they were supposed to comment on all the games telecast by CBC during the nigt.

You have no problem with Subban allowing Dubinsky to have the front of the net when he could have aggressively played him to his backhand

leaving Auld with a much stronger angle on the forced backhand?

Any player can be made to look bad on any goal, the exact same play happened 5 minutes later with Plekanec being cut off in the middle and

being forced to shovel a harmless backhand into Lundqvist's pads.

Gill becomes the scapegoat on a play that could have been recovered by a smart defensive play by PK.

PK covered nobody. Not Dubinsky, not the forward coming in for the rebound.

I have 0 problem with Subban on this goal since this play is supposed to die along the board or go in the corner/behind the net. Any other dman on Dubinsky and this is not a goal.

Subban might just have thought just like me "WTF ?!? Dubinsky just cut in the middle and is STILL in TOTAL control of the puck !!!"

And I just can't believe you're serious about blaming Subban for not "agressively pushing on" Dubinsky, which would have resulted on an automatic trailer pass to a guy all alone in the slot, or covering someone else after Dubinsky managed to create a breakaway. Sure he's not going to cover someone else, this is a ######ing breakaway out of nowhere, out of a play that sould die along the board.

I have 0 problem with Subban on this goal since this play is supposed to die along the board or go in the corner/behind the net. Any other dman on Dubinsky and this is not a goal.

Subban might just have thought just like me "WTF ?!? Dubinsky just cut in the middle and is STILL in TOTAL control of the puck !!!"

And I just can't believe you're serious about blaming Subban for not "agressively pushing on" Dubinsky, which would have resulted on an automatic trailer pass to a guy all alone in the slot, or covering someone else after Dubinsky managed to create a breakaway. Sure he's not going to cover someone else, this is a ######ing breakaway out of nowhere, out of a play that sould die along the board.

It is called TEAM DEFENSE. You don't stop playing because somebody gets beat to the outside.

You finish the play. Subban covered NOBODY on the play yet you choose to ignore it.

Getting mad at Gill for being slow to the outside is like being mad at Desharnies for being short.

I only caught around the last 10min of the third, so that's all i'm going by. THis morning in the recap it sounded like the habs really dominated duirng the first two periods and sounded like the PP was pretty effective and SUbban and Wiz played well together on the PP.

BTW, after the habs game ended i flipped over to the CBC to catch the flames-Leafs shootout and it was too funny listening to totally biased play by play in a SHOOTOUT!!! Then when hat blowhard sour grapes came on he didn't even acknowledge the habs played - i thought they were supposed to comment on all the games telecast by CBC during the nigt.

Yeah, I saw you missed most of the game. I just didn't want you to judge based off the shot chart.

I gave up on the CBC a looooooong time ago.

Edited by Wamsley01

It is called TEAM DEFENSE. You don't stop playing because somebody gets beat to the outside.

You finish the play. Subban covered NOBODY on the play yet you choose to ignore it.

Getting mad at Gill for being slow to the outside is like being mad at Desharnies for being short.

lol I choose to ignore it because anyone that Subban could cover is more than 10 feets away from him and has NOTHING to do with the goal.

Dubinsky was Gill's man all the way on this goal. Asking Subban to cover all three players in a 3 on 2 is silly, especially when your partner gets burned so close from the net. What is best, let the breakaway continue or give a 2 on 0 against an open net with the trailer pass ?