Trade deadline

HabsWEST

With the injuries and more than one hole to fill, Gauthier should sit tight, and reconsider all options.

1. Asset management, players that wont be signed, should be traded for prospects or draft picks.

2. Simply too many holes to compete with Bruins, Flyers , who are a season or 2 ahead of the Habs.

3. Build the foundation for the future...

If the reasoning is to just get into the playoffs and win a round or 2, go ahead and blow your brains out in trades ;)

BUT not at expense of dealing some younger players, ( which we have been too quick to give up on for virtually no assets in the past)

Living in Edmonton, all this talk about Penner or Hemsky is nonsense, in terms of helping the Habs.

PENNER: NO WAY, he is useless, and wouldnt take long for all those in Montreal and fans to realize he is a poor skater, no 2 way to his game, has one ability only and is very inconsistent!! ( sound familiar)?

HEMSKY: Injuries, and INCONSISTENT, not a goal scorer but a playmaker, THINK AK , but as a playmaker, enough said.

NOW:

It would be great for Gauthier to pull a Pittsburgh deal like that for James Neal... Goligoski for Neal and another def. wow... and Goligoski, really is he any better than our new DEF from the Island ( JW)

The ST. Louis deal, I dont undertand, really shifting of equal assets, with risk to Colorado pending the first round pick they use.

I am all for a James Neal type of deal, BUT not a HEMSKY or PENNER ( well unless Scott Gomez goes the other way ;)

But for 2011, no major ripping of the Team please Gauthier!! BUT PLEASE trade away assets you will not sign, for young players/draft picks...

Cheers all!!

Edited by HabsWEST

You forget to add "PLEASE NO KOVALEV!! I URGE YOU MR. GAUTHIER, NO KOVALEV!"

If a 5th rounder could bring Kovalev and he sucks you lose a 5th rounder, but if he is motivated you just acquired a top 6 forward and a PP force for nothing. If he shits the bed you stick him in the press box.

If the cost is anything more than that you forget it.

I don't see a downside at that price. I know people will talk about chemistry and bring up narratives about team dressing room cancers etc, but if the team is a true playoff contender than they will be able to manage his personality.

Edited by Wamsley01

At that price I wouldn't put up too much of a fuss about it (provided who gets sent down/traded to accommodate the cap hit since the Habs don't have that much space isn't too notable) but to me, he's a last ditch option. There are better players available, ones that could have a longer term impact. That's Plan A...and B, C, probably D too. :)

I can't help but to chuckle at the comment that we can't compete with the Bruins and Flyers. How quickly we forget, or never learn. Last season we were not in the same league as Pittsburg or Washington. Remember what happened? Say what you want, but the regular season is over in a couple months, then a whole new game is played, one that Boston sucks at. Winning the President's usually mean you don't win the Stanley, and that is a fact. Only 7 of the 25 Presidents Cup winners have gone on to win the big one. Odds are Philly won't be there come the end of May. The can hang their we had a great regular season banner next fall. Another also ran to add to the collection.

Playoff wise we should be adding some toughness up front, Chris Neil would still be nice. Maybe add a solid goaltender in case Price goes down, I think St Louis is selling!

I dont get it whats wrong with Nicklas Hagman?

he had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons.. (with the laughs even) why is he sucking now which meant that no one picked him up on waivers?

I can't help but to chuckle at the comment that we can't compete with the Bruins and Flyers. How quickly we forget, or never learn. Last season we were not in the same league as Pittsburg or Washington. Remember what happened? Say what you want, but the regular season is over in a couple months, then a whole new game is played, one that Boston sucks at. Winning the President's usually mean you don't win the Stanley, and that is a fact. Only 7 of the 25 Presidents Cup winners have gone on to win the big one. Odds are Philly won't be there come the end of May. The can hang their we had a great regular season banner next fall. Another also ran to add to the collection.

Playoff wise we should be adding some toughness up front, Chris Neil would still be nice. Maybe add a solid goaltender in case Price goes down, I think St Louis is selling!

Acquiring a goaltender is a waste. If Price goes down the season is over, just like if Miller, Hiller, Ward etc go down the season is over.

Only elite level teams that are complete can sustain an injury to a goaltender and continue to win in the playoffs (ie. Detroit, Philadelphia).

The Halak/Price tandem is a luxury that the Habs could no longer afford and one that the Bruins will jettison soon as well. If Price goes down

you don't waste assets on a backup.

I dont get it whats wrong with Nicklas Hagman?

he had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons.. (with the laughs even) why is he sucking now which meant that no one picked him up on waivers?

He has been relegated to 4th line duties in Calgary and has done very little overall since joining them. He's not a top-6 player and his cap hit ($3 M) prohibits him from being cost-effective in the bottom 6. If his contract was half of what it is, he'd have a decent market of suitors.

I agree with BTH that if the Habs are going to address the Gomez situation, they will do it in the off-season (or, as per one of my theories, at the quarter pole of next season). But when you hear that Brad Richards and possibly Paul Stastny are in play, you do kinda get Trade Deadline envy. Quality 1-1a C right there, and here we are with Gomer Pyle.(*wistful sigh*)

Well, since we have a new thread discussing trades here, I'll note here that Part 3 (and the final part) of HW's Trade Deadline preview series is now up, looking at the Bulldogs and some other unsigned prospects. http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2393

You were right on concerning Ben Maxwell. On top of your list and the first to go. :clap:

I agree with BTH that if the Habs are going to address the Gomez situation, they will do it in the off-season (or, as per one of my theories, at the quarter pole of next season). But when you hear that Brad Richards and possibly Paul Stastny are in play, you do kinda get Trade Deadline envy. Quality 1-1a C right there, and here we are with Gomer Pyle.(*wistful sigh*)

Yesterday I got all exited with the rumors That Phoenix wanted tt Gomez for Jovo!... well with Sopel coming ... NoT Happening!

well My prayers have been answered... But I was hoping for another D, Sopel will suffice. I don't know much about Dawes but his 200 pounds in a diminute 5'9", Spell Hurt and painful shoulder checks to the hips and if lucky to the kidney/rib section.

Moen needed another physical threat in his line. So Moen can stop playing like a sissy and do what he does best hit, and smack punches without notice

Yesterday I got all exited with the rumors That Phoenix wanted tt Gomez for Jovo!... well with Sopel coming ... NoT Happening!

well My prayers have been answered... But I was hoping for another D, Sopel will suffice. I don't know much about Dawes but his 200 pounds in a diminute 5'9", Spell Hurt and painful shoulder checks to the hips and if lucky to the kidney/rib section.

Moen needed another physical threat in his line. So Moen can stop playing like a sissy and do what he does best hit, and smack punches without notice

Like Brian stated in another thread, Dawes is likely Hamilton-bound to replace Maxwell.

Steve Bernier for nothing.... I would give this guy a try! he's big and if he doesnt wanna get in front of the net.. then send him to hamilton... nothing lost

I live in the Vancouver area and watched this guy for a while. Trust me, you're not missing anything.

Steve Bernier for nothing.... I would give this guy a try! he's big and if he doesnt wanna get in front of the net.. then send him to hamilton... nothing lost

His cap hit is higher than what the Habs have left and he has a total of 5 goals this year and 1 goal since December 9th. He'll clear waivers and be non-tendered in the offseason, then I might look at him for a six-figure salary.

Jovo also got injured and that supposedly (it's Renaud Lavoie) broke off the talks.

Jovo also got injured and that supposedly (it's Renaud Lavoie) broke off the talks.

Shit, any team that wants Gomez is doing us a favour. Even if Jovo has an ACL tear, make that deal!! :lol:

if SPacek is out and on LTIR then we can fit him plus he's a RFA at the end of the season...

To be fair, I typed that before the SNET news from last night saying he was done for sure. :) Bernier did clear and his RFA status would have been irrelevant. His QO is for $2 million, he's not worth half that based on his play. He'll be released in the offseason.

Don't buy that. The NHL still is running the Coyotes and there are problems with the bond issue required to make the sale to Hulsizer go through. There is no way Phoenix trades a pending UFA for 3 years and $17+ million of Gomez when the league is still running the team and managing the payroll.

With the injuries and more than one hole to fill, Gauthier should sit tight, and reconsider all options.

1. Asset management, players that wont be signed, should be traded for prospects or draft picks.

2. Simply too many holes to compete with Bruins, Flyers , who are a season or 2 ahead of the Habs.

3. Build the foundation for the future...

If the reasoning is to just get into the playoffs and win a round or 2, go ahead and blow your brains out in trades ;)

BUT not at expense of dealing some younger players, ( which we have been too quick to give up on for virtually no assets in the past)

Living in Edmonton, all this talk about Penner or Hemsky is nonsense, in terms of helping the Habs.

PENNER: NO WAY, he is useless, and wouldnt take long for all those in Montreal and fans to realize he is a poor skater, no 2 way to his game, has one ability only and is very inconsistent!! ( sound familiar)?

HEMSKY: Injuries, and INCONSISTENT, not a goal scorer but a playmaker, THINK AK , but as a playmaker, enough said.

NOW:

It would be great for Gauthier to pull a Pittsburgh deal like that for James Neal... Goligoski for Neal and another def. wow... and Goligoski, really is he any better than our new DEF from the Island ( JW)

The ST. Louis deal, I dont undertand, really shifting of equal assets, with risk to Colorado pending the first round pick they use.

I am all for a James Neal type of deal, BUT not a HEMSKY or PENNER ( well unless Scott Gomez goes the other way ;)

But for 2011, no major ripping of the Team please Gauthier!! BUT PLEASE trade away assets you will not sign, for young players/draft picks...

Cheers all!!

"Penner, who has another year left on his contract beyond this season, is supposedly commanding a first-round pick, a top prospect or a young NHL player as the centerpiece to a package. "

from the article link here today; http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl110226.html

PENNER for FIRST ROUND pick, AND a TOP prospect..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WORST MISTAKE PG will do to date. Penner as I maintain living out here in Edmonton:

--- Cant Skate

--- No Intensity

--- Inconsistent

--- Awful defensively.

This will lead to the HABS being a non playoff team in near future. Pierre PLEASE PLEASE dont do this trade. Glad its just a rumour. But if you read this post, or message gets passed on to you PIERRE:

I have been to over 40 Oiler games the last 2 years, and Penner is not a right fit for the HABS for the above reasons. The fans will want your " head" after this trade and half way through next season, once everyone realizes the BONEHEAD trade you are contemplating ( that is if this rumour is correct!!)

As the subline on this topic:

" The BEST Trades are the ones YOU DONT MAKE "

Please consider all us Diehard fans on this one DONT DO IT. All you would be doing is make the OILERS and all Oiler fans very very happy with this trade...and a onesided steal for the Oilers...regardless who you are trading.

Edited by HabsWEST

Im sure your remarks on Penner are true, having seen him play that many times

Nonetheless, what we need above all is someone in front of the net that cannot be moved and blocks the view of the goalie...

Also I've heard Penner just married a Montreal girl, She is Richard Zednik's ex-wife

But if its size we need up front... bring up Alex Henry... I'm tired of saying it but its true

Im reading his name everyhwere I go... Hhy go after Mara when we have Henry, if we cant get a big body up front get Henry... Im reading it everyhwere I go... if PG doesnt get anyone at tradedeadline I would Play him as fourth liner who can help on D if needed... Ive written this before... Its the natural evolution of the fourth line... you need the 7th D that can fight clear net and block the front of the net if they do get up in the offensive side

Edited by CoRvInA