Habs regular season recap

BrenDittero

Just wanted to start a thread to take a look back at the last 82 games to discuss what went right and what went wrong.

What lessons can we take from this past season moving forward to the playoffs?

Lines that worked and one's that didn't.

Players that excelled or dropped the ball. Or players that might gear up into playoff mode.

Coaching strategy vs certain teams.

What you liked about the season, what you thought was disappointing.

etc etc etc....

Discuss whatever comes to mind.

Edited by BrenDittero

Gomez is an obvious problem, hope he turns it around in the playoffs.

Montreal's power play stinks as of late because it looks like everyone is scared to grind for the puck down low, making it impossible to setup at the point. I seriously hope this is addressed before the first round because the power play is going to be what makes or breaks Montreal against Boston. If Boston plays clean hockey, they can't beat Montreal, but if Montreal can't capitalize on the power play, it's lights out.

I think Price will exercise his playoffs demons, but he needs a strong team support in the first 2 games. They can't get blown out or not score. Mark my words, if in the first game if they lose by 3-4 goals or get shutout, Price's confidence will be shot, why give 150% for a team that is only giving 50%? If they lose by a goal in a 3-2 or 2-1 loss, the series will be interesting. If they win by 3-4 goals the first game, Boston won't make it out of the first round.

If not for a horrible amount of injuries to key players we would have more points, likely even a homeice advantage.

Yep. Markov for 30 more games and home advantage is probably a gimme.

There are many things to look back on for better and worse but the this year I think Carey Price takes the cake.

Back in October I honestly admit that I had no idea what to expect out of this kid. I'm not going to say I though he was the best choice from the get go, cause I didn't. Defiantly had my doubts.

But he weathered the storm of the Media and fans, told them to chill out, and came through 82 games later with 38 wins for the Habs.

That he didn't crack under the pressure says a lot about our franchise goalie. We might not have the size or toughness of other teams but we do have a world class goalie.

Aside from Price, Subban has been another great surprise. After the playoffs last year I was very curious how he would do if given the chance to play an entire season.

He does take a lot of penalties but more than makes up for it with his skill. We are very lucky to have a guy like him on defence. I'm sure the PM will decrease as time goes on.

Pacioretty is another player that clicked with the team from the start. Had he not gotten injured I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top of the pack with points.

Really can't wait to see they Patches back in the lineup.

Lastly, I think JM did an amazing job this year with what he had to work with. The entire organization exceeded my expectations considering the injuries.

Imagine a season where we have Markov, Patches, and Georges. Looking forward to seeing the Habs with a full lineup.

Something I take away from the season is that we can win even when we have major injuries.

In my mind its the defense first attitude that Martin has instilled that is leading this drive; secondly, I agree that PK. and Price have been factors but I'd like to think that our farm has been there and also buys into the game plan.

One major issue does worry me. When we play teams like Boston and Philly; We suffer a huge toll on our physical game.

If the last month of this season is any predictor in terms of how the NHL refs are going to call physical play then I believe we have hope in the playoffs to beat these types of teams.

And although this season has proven that we have depth players; My fears still remain that all it takes is one hit to take out our star player(s); and we are done!

Here's hoping that we prevail. And carry our season success into the Post-Season 2011...

GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!

I take away the Chara assault and the NHL's criminal negligence in endorsing it, one of the most distasteful episodes in a lifetime of following the Habs.

On a more positive note: I take away that we are a genuinely good team, no matter what the 'experts' say. It's taken a long time for the Habs to get to a point where they could get these sorts of results while missing 3 of their top 6 on the back end for most of the season. Say what you want about Martin, but he has instilled the kind of structured team play and committed team culture that we conspicuously lacked during Rebuild 1.0. THAT is the foundation that all teams need to have in order to win anything. Of course, you also need talent. And we don't have quite enough of it yet.

It's tempting to imagine what we'd have done with Markov in the lineup, yes. Then again, had we had Markov we likely wouldn't have gone out and acquire Wiz. This is what I mean when I say (in the 18 years thread) that I'm not sure this organization is prepared to do anything to win. What we really need is Wiz AND Subban AND Markov. That would be a top-3 to rival any franchise in hockey. We need to move heaven and earth to get that sort of outcome. (It doesn't have to be Wiz; I'm making a wider point).

If Patches returns and picks up where he left off, Subban and Price don't regress, and we manage to remain tolerably healthy, I believe we will be in a position to contend next season PROVIDED management makes a couple of shrewd moves if the off-season. This season has suggested this much: we're much closer than most people realize. The question is whether management has the ruthlessness, skill, and hunger to make it happen.

It's tempting to imagine what we'd have done with Markov in the lineup, yes. Then again, had we had Markov we likely wouldn't have gone out and acquire Wiz. This is what I mean when I say (in the 18 years thread) that I'm not sure this organization is prepared to do anything to win. What we really need is Wiz AND Subban AND Markov. That would be a top-3 to rival any franchise in hockey. We need to move heaven and earth to get that sort of outcome. (It doesn't have to be Wiz; I'm making a wider point).

If Patches returns and picks up where he left off, Subban and Price don't regress, and we manage to remain tolerably healthy, I believe we will be in a position to contend next season PROVIDED management makes a couple of shrewd moves if the off-season. This season has suggested this much: we're much closer than most people realize. The question is whether management has the ruthlessness, skill, and hunger to make it happen.

I have been convinced by CC's advocacy for management boldness. I am not sure that ruthlessness is required - e.g. it may turn out that Gomez is a key component of a Stanley Cup winning team and that dumping his salary would have been not only treacherous but self-defeating. But I do agree about doing what it takes to lock up the Wiz. There are lots of cap reasons why it will be very risky and difficult, the most important being that he may have just had a lucky, unrepeatable season, and that PG needs to leave room to lock up Price, Subban. Patches and Eller down the road. But it is doable, and I have come around to the idea that it would be a risk worth taking.

My main reason is that difference-making players do not grow on trees. It is not easy to acquire them as UFAs or through trades. Everyone talks about signing this or that kind of player in the offseason - a power forward or a big, tough, skilled dman - as if there is an unlimited supply out there for the taking. No, those kinds of players are rare and in high demand, just like franchise goalies and elite centremen.

There is no guarantee that the Wiz will continue to be a top-10 scoring defenceman. But if him, Markov and Subban all have healthy years next season for the Habs, it is quite possible that all 3 could end up in the top 10. That might put Montreal in the top 5 of the league, and do a lot towards bringing the Cup back to the beautiful island city.