Trade Options: Columbus

Trizzak

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=13

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Columbus is playing poorly to say the least. They have no cap space, and many long-term deals. Notable UFAs are Huselius, Pahlsson, Martinek and Prospal.

So, who do you want off their team to improve the Habs, and how do you make the deal happen?

Dicklund has the habs and kings talking about Penner.

What I worry about is that the two guys most likely to be traded in any move made are probably AK46 and Weber and I wouldn't move either.

Columbus will fire Howson and Arniel tomorrow before making any moves IMO.

Or trade us Rick Nash for Scott Gomez.

Who knows.

I would trade pretty much anyone on our roster for Nash.

I would trade pretty much anyone on our roster for Nash.

What's your offer?

Columbus will fire Howson and Arniel tomorrow before making any moves IMO.

I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying this is a team that is looking like a seller early on. Does anyone on their roster intrigue you?

What's your offer?

I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying this is a team that is looking like a seller early on. Does anyone on their roster intrigue you?

Fair enough... I'm gonna look for some trade deadline targets.

Trade Deadline targets are usually soon to be UFAs. Its too bad they resigned Umberger, because he'd be a great fit for our team. There are no UFAs they have that I think help us. Pahlsson might have been an option, but Nokaleinen fills that role.

If they really want to sell though, I think Derrick Brassard would be a good reclamation project

or

I think that Antoine Vermette would be a good Centre to have as a replacement for Gomez, if you could move Gomez elsewhere.

on their D, I really like David Savard as a prospect, but I think he might be more of the same that we have in our team and farm system (young puck mover)...

What's your offer?

I'd move ANY player. As much as I'd like to say Price, Subban and MaxPac are untouchable. With a decent center, Nash is a 50 goal scorer, I'd move anyone. However, there woudn't be much point in moving him, unless you change the coach first. Under the Penguin, I doubt Nash scores 30 goals would probably have trouble topping 25.

With the contract Rinne just got, I'd be tempted to offer up Price, if we had anyone in the system to back him up. As much as I like Price, i really don't want to give Price over $7M. With the deal that Rinne just got, I think if Price finishes the season with numbers close to last year, he will definitely be looking for more then what Rinne got.

What I never would do is a deal like the one Gainey reportedly offered for everybody in Quebec's cousin Vinny (Pleks, Subban, Price). The contracts I'd like to move like GIonta or Cole would probably be non-starters - moving Gomez would be a wet dream, but i have a better chance of winning the Lotto max AND the 649 then the habs have of getting anything of value for Gomez.

As an aside, the Rinne contract is EXACTLY why I advocate signing up your young stars early. There is always some IDIOT GM who is going to drive up the market for the rest of the league with a real stupid deal. Rinne is a great goalie, but $7M/7yrs?????? Given his limited track record???? Given that Vokom just signed as a UFA for $1.5M???????

However, there woudn't be much point in moving him, unless you change the coach first. Under the Penguin, I doubt Nash scores 30 goals would probably have trouble topping 25.

Please stop beating your dead horse in every thread.

This is a thread about trading with Columbus and you still managed to bring up Jacques Martin. It's pretty much spam at this point.

Please stop beating your dead horse in every thread.

This is a thread about trading with Columbus and you still managed to bring up Jacques Martin. It's pretty much spam at this point.

It's funny how last year and for most of the year before I was told to stop beating the dead Gomez horse and now those same people have finally given up on Gomez. At the start of last year when I brought up Mcdonagh, the response was what has he done yet or that he wasn't much to give up for proven winner like Gomez. Now I think its pretty much consensus that we just didn't get screwed on taking on a stupid contract, but we also got fleeced out of one heck of a defensive prospect - precisely the type of Dman we are lacking now.

Having watched Nash for his entire NHL career, I am wary of him being on a team where he is the best player. He has become a completely different player in Columbus than the one we see on Team Canada. He's the captain in Columbus, yet he frequently plays with no heart. He has little trust in his teammates and tries to do everything himself. Columbus has tried a lot of coaches recently and it hasn't worked. I actually wouldn't be angry if they decided to change up the core of the team.

As an aside, the Rinne contract is EXACTLY why I advocate signing up your young stars early. There is always some IDIOT GM who is going to drive up the market for the rest of the league with a real stupid deal. Rinne is a great goalie, but $7M/7yrs?????? Given his limited track record???? Given that Vokom just signed as a UFA for $1.5M???????

That can also backfire and cripple a team's ability to make moves. Columbus locked up Steve Mason and Derrick Brassard very early in their careers and now both are getting 3 million a year.

It's funny how last year and for most of the year before I was told to stop beating the dead Gomez horse and now those same people have finally given up on Gomez. At the start of last year when I brought up Mcdonagh, the response was what has he done yet or that he wasn't much to give up for proven winner like Gomez. Now I think its pretty much consensus that we just didn't get screwed on taking on a stupid contract, but we also got fleeced out of one heck of a defensive prospect - precisely the type of Dman we are lacking now.

The Gomez Thread

There you will find an excellent discussion on Scott Gomez, and also very few people that have given up on him. And yes, many people will (and should) agree that McDonagh is exactly what the team needs.

And precisely nothing in your post gives good reason to hijack threads to crusade against whoever it is you decide to hate each season.

Having watched Nash for his entire NHL career, I am wary of him being on a team where he is the best player. He has become a completely different player in Columbus than the one we see on Team Canada. He's the captain in Columbus, yet he frequently plays with no heart. He has little trust in his teammates and tries to do everything himself. Columbus has tried a lot of coaches recently and it hasn't worked. I actually wouldn't be angry if they decided to change up the core of the team.

There have also been stories about Rick Nash not wanting to play in major hockey markets. If those stories are true, then I'd hate to see what would happen in Montreal. Skiing with Brisebois?

Jeff Carter on the other hand...

Trading Price rather than paying him market value seems cataclysmically crazy to me. Whatever you do, don't pay your homegrown superstars what they deserve!!!! No, deal them for other all-star talent which you can then refuse to pay market value for. :nuts: Sure, we'll be a bottom-5 team but we'll be NUMBER ONE in cap management. Yeah baby!

Now, if you think Price is overrated and will never become a consistent top-5 NHL goalie, that's another story.

I'd certainly deal MaxPac for Nash. Subban or Price, hmmm. I view an elite defenceman or goalie as almost always more valuable than an elite forward, so I'd incline against such a deal. Plus, Nash will not have any linemates to play with here because of our policy of neither overpaying nor paying fair market value, remember? So Nash wouldn't bring results any better than he brought Columbus.

Jeff Carter on the other hand...

I hope this post was meant to be sarcastic They just signed Carter and he has barely played in a CBJ uniform yet! imho, he's an untouchable along with Nash.

on another note,

I don't understand why people on this forum feel the urgency to open threads like such regarding trades when we won 4 in a row prior to Saturday. Realistically speaking, any team in the NHL can be a trading partner if the price, value, and timing is right; with not just one particular team that you assume will dismantle because of starting 2-11-1

on another note,

I don't understand why people on this forum feel the urgency to open threads like such regarding trades when we won 4 in a row prior to Saturday. Realistically speaking, any team in the NHL can be a trading partner if the price, value, and timing is right; with not just one particular team that you assume will dismantle because of starting 2-11-1

Well I felt that it would be an interesting discussion to point out teams that look like they will shake their team up, and whether the Habs should get in on it.

Columbus doesn't appear to have much to help the Habs... but that doesn't mean Calgary doesn't, or the Islanders, etc, etc :)

This isn't about trading just for the sake of trading... it's an objective look at team weaknesses and player availability.