2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

sakiqc

And without the numbers, you have the problem of not creating enough of a gap in supply and demand to be able to charge the high prices that the northern teams charge. Hence lower revenues, and tougher to make things work.

I want to know peoples thoughts of the match ups in the second round...

1st round saw, LA-Vancouver, Boston-Washinton upsets

Great division rival showdowns in Ottawa-NY and Philly-Pits (obviously), plus the always interesting match up Nashville-Detroit

Surprisingly competitive Florida-NJ and Phoenix-Chicago

Even the SJ-STL series had some solid hockey being played...

This round we have...

Division rivals Philly-NJ

Washington-NYR will be interesting to see if the caps pull another upset

in the west we got

LA-STL which looks like there will be a lot more firepower on display then people expected

Nash-Phoenix... more scoring here then expected as well.

Personally I haven't seen the teams continue their first round fire (I'm not talking Philly-Pits level) but in general it doesn't seem to have the heat the first couple games in the first round did.

What are others thinking? Are the teams just trying to cool'r down and conserve energy for the next two rounds? Or am I completely off the wall with my thought?

The first round was built on personal rivalries. LA vs. Vancouver has always been a tough game in the season, Philly/Pitts and Nash/Detroit were big time rivalries played out. Ottawa made it personal for the Rangers and Florida had no quit in them.

This time not so much.

The only Finals I could see having some real heat is Los Angeles vs. New York. Talk about a big time series for the NHL and the Richards/Carter dynamic would create an unbelievable story. Otherwise I don't know what we'll see. Or what I would want to see. That said, I'd love to see Washington surprise everyone and make the finals after Bob McKenzie made it sound like Dale Hunter won't be back next season.

I guess they were both out partying until 4AM.

Radulov is still a top talent. Kostitsyn will always be wasted potential.

Sounds like they were spotted after midnight local at a bar in Scottsdale (~45 minutes from the hotel) the night before a 5 PM local start time. There is another report that now says 4 AM interestingly enough.

The first round was built on personal rivalries. LA vs. Vancouver has always been a tough game in the season, Philly/Pitts and Nash/Detroit were big time rivalries played out. Ottawa made it personal for the Rangers and Florida had no quit in them.

This time not so much.

The only Finals I could see having some real heat is Los Angeles vs. New York. Talk about a big time series for the NHL and the Richards/Carter dynamic would create an unbelievable story. Otherwise I don't know what we'll see. Or what I would want to see. That said, I'd love to see Washington surprise everyone and make the finals after Bob McKenzie made it sound like Dale Hunter won't be back next season.

If you talk about Richards/Carter, what about a PHI-LA finals? THAT would be something..

that's totally what I meant :P Haha oops

Hahaha :)

But you're still right about the NYR-LA series, in the sense that it would be a finals between 2 strong markets for the NHL.

The interesting part with by the Coyotes.. imagine having to play against the league owned team in the finals. Conflict of interest?

Why not go all in and have NJ-PHX, the all NHL-funded final?

The interesting part with by the Coyotes.. imagine having to play against the league owned team in the finals.  Conflict of interest?

League would want the Coyotes to get to the finals, go 7 games and lose, so that they can get all the "Stanley Cup Champion" merchandise on the winning team.

Great game last night between the Rangers and Capitals. Man did they ever look tired. It looked like I could keep up with them by the middle of that third over time. :)

I completely understand the saying that hindsight is 20/20 but even before the game today I was thinking that Trotz went a little too far in benching Kostitsyn and Radulov for game 4 as well. In my opinion, Nashville did not win last game because of the players who were added into the lineup but more because of home ice advantage. The message was sent to the players in game 3 that fooling around is unacceptable but to bench a player of Radulov's stature and even Kostitsyn for an extra game was nothing more than a mistake. I can somewhat understand why he did it, but the team is paying the consequence now.

Any legitimate reports on what the two did? I know it was curfue violation, or thats what has mainly been reported, but what were they out doing? If they came back trashed on a game night... I think Trotz did the right thing. Let them come back now and try and make it up to their team. (I think Phoenix will have a difficult time stopping these to the rest of the series)

Any legitimate reports on what the two did? I know it was curfue violation, or thats what has mainly been reported, but what were they out doing? If they came back trashed on a game night... I think Trotz did the right thing. Let them come back now and try and make it up to their team. (I think Phoenix will have a difficult time stopping these to the rest of the series)

Spotted at 4am drinking at a Scottsdale Arizona bar. The bar was 40+ minutes away from their hotel. It was 4am, on the morning of a 5pm start for game 2.

Spotted at 4am drinking at a Scottsdale Arizona bar. The bar was 40+ minutes away from their hotel. It was 4am, on the morning of a 5pm start for game 2.

So say there were leaving that moment or so... 5am back at the hotel... yeah... I kinda agree with the way trotz handled this.

Keeping those two in the press box for one game was fine. The second was overkill. And they get shutout. If I'm a player on that team, I'm furious with the coach and GM. In a round about way, Barry Trotz penalized the rest of the team by not icing the best possible line up. Ok coach, you proved your point, now let's go golfing.

Keeping those two in the press box for one game was fine. The second was overkill. And they get shutout. If I'm a player on that team, I'm furious with the coach and GM. In a round about way, Barry Trotz penalized the rest of the team by not icing the best possible line up. Ok coach, you proved your point, now let's go golfing.

I can see it both ways. They won Game three without them. Why break up a winning combination in the post-season? At the same time, you do not healthy bench your most talented forward (Radulov) for two straight games. You got him out of calculated luck and now you don't utilize him?

In the end it was a mistake. Kostitsyn and Radulov may have come out of game four on fire, wanting to prove themselves to their team to win the game. Instead, when they get back in the lineup in game five there is likely going to be no passion. Kostitsyn may leave and the Predators will be fine with Radulov signing an offer sheet.

LA Cruises over the second best team in the west in 4 after taking out the canucks in 5 :/

Will they find a way to knock Phoenix (or Nashville) out in 3! This is scary good hockey.