Michel Therrien named head coach

Blonde Demon

Well, the decision being made, we all have to just hope that Therrien learned a lot from his previous two debacles in Montreal and Pittsburgh - where, incidentally, he failed despite having what many would rate as a 'stacked' roster. I do not rule out the possibility of his being older and wiser.

That being said, I am deeply skeptical. I will never understand what kind of magical spell this mediocrity wields over NHL GMs that he keeps getting hired, whereas a truly quality coach like Vigneault had to toil in obscurity for years before getting a second NHL opportunity. Therrien was a partial cause of our losing that series against Carolina in 2004 and managed to get himself fired in Pittsburgh despite a roster that makes ours look like a pile of puke. Every indication to me is that he was hired because he's pals with Bergevin and French Canadian rather than because he was the best candidate. Personally, I expect this move to end up costing us sooner or later; which is really too bad, because we've lost enough seasons/talent to chaos and poor managerial choices. I wanted excellence all the way around this time, not third-rate rejects. Oh well. Prove me wrong, Michel.

Well, the decision being made, we all have to just hope that Therrien learned a lot from his previous two debacles in Montreal and Pittsburgh - where, incidentally, he failed despite having what many would rate as a 'stacked' roster. I do not rule out the possibility of his being older and wiser.

That being said, I am deeply skeptical. I will never understand what kind of magical spell this mediocrity wields over NHL GMs that he keeps getting hired, whereas a truly quality coach like Vigneault had to toil in obscurity for years before getting a second NHL opportunity. Therrien was a partial cause of our losing that series against Carolina in 2004 and managed to get himself fired in Pittsburgh despite a roster that makes ours look like a pile of puke. Every indication to me is that he was hired because he's pals with Bergevin and French Canadian rather than because he was the best candidate. Personally, I expect this move to end up costing us sooner or later; which is really too bad, because we've lost enough seasons/talent to chaos and poor managerial choices. I wanted excellence all the way around this time, not third-rate rejects. Oh well. Prove me wrong, Michel.

Thank God, he's ALIVE!!!

PK and Eller are both young players and they are continuing to learn what they can do and what they can't do. It appears to me the expectations of the experts on player development in this forum would like to see these two players playing as if they were at their prime. Both of these players will continue to develop and will be good players in the league for a long time. If they become great, then great!!

It's quite possible he just lost the locker room in Pittsburgh, as Crosby still likes him as a coach. Every coach no matter how great will one day lose the locker.

As I mentioned earlier, in Pittsburgh, he went the last season without his best offensive d-man, who returned just after he was fired. That makes a huge difference. When he took over, Pitt was not a good team at all, and he really improved the way that team played. In Montreal, he had a totally crappy team, it was amazing he (OK, Theodore certainly helped too) was able to get them into the playoffs at all. Just look back at the roster he was working with, especially the year Saku had cancer, it was brutal. Its too early to be screaming the sky is falling, the guy is an experienced coach who has had success at every level he has coached, why his hiring is so shocking and disappointing to people is beyond me.