Gomez bought out?

Helmethead

With the cap going up 6 million, Gomez will be moved without a problem. Most probably to a low market team like Phoenix. Maybe for the rights to negotiate with Doan prior to the 1st.

Reaching, I know. But feasable considering the cap and personel movement concerning Phx,

I know this isn't supposed to be about Therrien, and I obviously don't know his plans for this year, or how he's going to do, but I would like to point out a few obvious things which come to mind when we call him a defensive coach. First, when he last coached in Montreal, we had a horrendous team, I'm sure everyone would agree that the team he is taking over is a much better team, talent wise. He had no choice to install a tight defensive system, there were not a lot of scoring threats on the team at the time, so they had to play defense and hope that Jose would save the day, most games (and he did, quite often). Second, when he took over the Penguins, they were a young team which was capable of scoring, but were absolutely terrible at the defensive side of the game. Therrien again tried to install a tight defensive system, and the team improved quickly. Finally, a look at the playoffs this year, and the teams which were most successful, clearly illustrates the fact that teams need to play tight defense to win championships. So again, lets give the guy a chance before we all start crapping on him, Bergevin seems like he has made good choices for the most part so far, perhaps he's made a good coaching choice too?

• 2 weeks later...

What if in an amnesty buyout you could only buy out part of contract, say 3/4's? You would have to keep the other part of contract. Just a thought. The player wouldn't be out of a job, he would get his money and you might now be able to move him if he didn't fit your plans. Plus you have created space.

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't supposed to be about Therrien, and I obviously don't know his plans for this year, or how he's going to do, but I would like to point out a few obvious things which come to mind when we call him a defensive coach. First, when he last coached in Montreal, we had a horrendous team, I'm sure everyone would agree that the team he is taking over is a much better team, talent wise. He had no choice to install a tight defensive system, there were not a lot of scoring threats on the team at the time, so they had to play defense and hope that Jose would save the day, most games (and he did, quite often). Second, when he took over the Penguins, they were a young team which was capable of scoring, but were absolutely terrible at the defensive side of the game. Therrien again tried to install a tight defensive system, and the team improved quickly. Finally, a look at the playoffs this year, and the teams which were most successful, clearly illustrates the fact that teams need to play tight defense to win championships. So again, lets give the guy a chance before we all start crapping on him, Bergevin seems like he has made good choices for the most part so far, perhaps he's made a good coaching choice too?

Seem to be good points to me.