The 2014 Olympic Squads - A preview

Commandant

I don't really know Benn. Is he a good shutdown guy ? cuz even if we play European ice rink, we'll need some...

I know Seguin and Toews are though.

Agree. I wouldn't go with Fleury neither.

It was pretty easy to notice the Pittsburgh bias with Letang on the top line anyway. Not saying Letang couldn't be there but it was an easy catch. Fleury confirmed it.

I'm personally biased into believing that by 2014 Price will be one of the three best goalies in the world and no Canadian will compare but even if he isn't, it will be a pretty even match between him and Cam Ward. Anyone else, even Luongo, will just be there for the ride.

The Other Day we took a look at Canada’s team for 2014. Today our resident Russian hockey guy, Max Vasilyev looks at the Russians

http://lastwordonspo...uld-look-like/#

Does Markov make it? Emelin? Perezhogin?

I agree on the whole with the article, but Evgeny Kuznetsov should make the Sochi team ahead of Grigorenko or Yakupov

I don't really know Benn. Is he a good shutdown guy ? cuz even if we play European ice rink, we'll need some...

I know Seguin and Toews are though.

Mark my words for anyone in hockey pools

If you get a chance to take him in a mid round, draft Jamie Benn.... I'm betting he's this year's version of Claude Giroux. Poised for a huge breakout.

Mark my words for anyone in hockey pools

If you get a chance to take him in a mid round, draft Jamie Benn.... I'm betting he's this year's version of Claude Giroux. Poised for a huge breakout.

Everyone that follow hockey knows that Benn will put up some huge points. He already had 63 last season in juste 71 games an could put up 80+ somewhat easily.

But I was asking if he was able to play a strong defensive game. Cuz Canada's lineup usually includes a real strong shutdown line.

In Vancouver 2010, don't forget the role played by Morrow and Patrice Bergeron (who's not in the article's lineup). These guys are often the difference between a medal or not...

Morrow played a role, I agree.... Bergeron didn't. Bergeron played under 3 minutes per game in the elimination round. Canada had him sit on the bench as the 13th forward and didn't play.

Benn plays a pretty good defensive game, but he wouldn't be my guy to do that.

My personal lineup is listed in the article comments, i didn't write the article.... but My shutdown line is

Mike Richards - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash

Just like the 2010 team

Morrow played a role, I agree.... Bergeron didn't. Bergeron played under 3 minutes per game in the elimination round. Canada had him sit on the bench as the 13th forward and didn't play.

Benn plays a pretty good defensive game, but he wouldn't be my guy to do that.

My personal lineup is listed in the article comments, i didn't write the article.... but My shutdown line is

Mike Richards - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash

Just like the 2010 team

Oh, didn't know you were the guy listing his lineup in the comments section. I actually prefer yours over the article's main lineup.

You're right, Bergeron played pretty much only some shifts on the PK, this is why I was referencing him as a "role player".

Oh, didn't know you were the guy listing his lineup in the comments section. I actually prefer yours over the article's main lineup.

You're right, Bergeron played pretty much only some shifts on the PK, this is why I was referencing him as a "role player".

Yeah, I'm Ben... I do all the prospect stuff... and the odd NHL article, but we are putting out so much now that I'm prospect focused and let Maxim, Grant, Tom, and a few others throw up NHL stuff.

• 7 months later...

Alex Ovechkin once said that he would represent Russia in Sochi with or without NHL approval stamp.

How could he make this happen ? Back in the time, was it any kind of age limit ?

Alex Ovechkin once said that he would represent Russia in Sochi with or without NHL approval stamp.

How could he make this happen ? Back in the time, was it any kind of age limit ?

It was a statement I don't think he really thought through. The Capitals could easily petition to have the IIHF rule him ineligible if he were to bolt. Not to mention that every other country would be crying foul (and/or quietly encouraging their players to do the exact same).

It was a statement I don't think he really thought through. The Capitals could easily petition to have the IIHF rule him ineligible if he were to bolt. Not to mention that every other country would be crying foul (and/or quietly encouraging their players to do the exact same).

That's what I'm asking. Would it be an age limit ? Could he play as a newly NHL retired player ? Is "newly" an actual word ?

That's what I'm asking. Would it be an age limit ? Could he play as a newly NHL retired player ? Is "newly" an actual word ?

There could be an age limit if they decide to go like soccer and make it U-21 or U-25, something like that. They may go with no age limit but no NHL'ers, in which case most countries would just pull players from their leagues (KHL, SEL, NLA, etc). Ovechkin wouldn't be able to retire from the NHL for the purposes of playing in the Olympics and then immediately un-retire. And yes, newly is a real word.

There could be an age limit if they decide to go like soccer and make it U-21 or U-25, something like that. They may go with no age limit but no NHL'ers, in which case most countries would just pull players from their leagues (KHL, SEL, NLA, etc). Ovechkin wouldn't be able to retire from the NHL for the purposes of playing in the Olympics and then immediately un-retire. And yes, newly is a real word.

What's the actual ruling on this ?

Off the top of my head, I could make a case for that being cap circumvention which is expressly prohibited in the CBA.

So he would have to wait for the new season to make his comeback ? Or what ?

So he would have to wait for the new season to make his comeback ? Or what ?

I know in some other pro leagues if a player wants to come out of retirement midseason, the other owners must unanimously vote for him to do so (and they never do). I can't find any reference to a rule like that in the old CBA but the new (current) one isn't out yet. I can't think of a circumstance where it has happened to even look at precedent. If he tries it (and the NHL players aren't going), it's probably going to be uncharted territory and there will be a fight no matter what.

I know in some other pro leagues if a player wants to come out of retirement midseason, the other owners must unanimously vote for him to do so (and they never do). I can't find any reference to a rule like that in the old CBA but the new (current) one isn't out yet. I can't think of a circumstance where it has happened to even look at precedent. If he tries it (and the NHL players aren't going), it's probably going to be uncharted territory and there will be a fight no matter what.

Promising.

I think he would just show up at the Olympics and play.

The Olympics isn't barring NHL players.... the NHL is stopping their players from being released to play in the Olympics.

Ovy basically would be telling the Caps to off. Something like, yeah, I'm going to the Olympics to play for my country. Don't try to stop me, if you do, I'll just hold out until you trade me. If you as an individual team allow it, I'll be back in two weeks.

With his mega deal and the amount of merch he sells, he kinda holds the caps over the barrell here, and is one of the few players who could tell his team to F Off, I'm doing what I want.

If the Capitals don't complain, the IIHF has no reason to bar him from the Olympics, and the Olympics has no reason to turn down any NHL who shows up (without his team complaining about it).

• 3 months later...

Well, we won't have to worry about any issues with Ovechkin (or any others) bolting for the Olympics without permission as today, the league announced they have reached an agreement to allow NHL'ers to play in Sochi. The NHL will have a 17 day layoff in February meaning that we're going to see some games crunched together more than usual in a non-lockout season.

I would imagine quite a few Habs will have chances at going:

Canada - Price, Subban

USA - Pacioretty, Galchenyuk (long shot but a strong start may get him some consideration)

Czech Republic - Plekanec

Switzerland - Diaz, Andrighetto (another long shot but I wouldn't rule him out entirely)

Russia - Markov, Emelin (he has suited up for them at the Worlds a few times before)

Sweden - Nygren (extreme long shot but if he were to surprise at training camp and make the NHL, you never know)

Slovakia - Budaj

Note that Denmark (Eller) did not qualify.