Now why can't Gomez pull a Tsuyoshi Nishioka!

HabsWEST

Tsuyoshi Nishioka says goodbye to a guaranteed $3.25 million, requests release from Twins

http://sports.yahoo....06372--mlb.html

In some ways, Gomez is in a no win situation, he himself admits he isnt up to par. Unfortunately we took on someone else's mistake, and gave up a TOP young player.

I cant see Gomez having a comeback year. Take away this CONTRACT, and he may actually be better. Takes lot of guts to do what Niskioka did, perhaps its a Culture difference where the burden of his contract was too much.

Hope the new CBA, will give flexibility to deal with such issues/contracts, and save face for the team and also the player!

Tsuyoshi Nishioka says goodbye to a guaranteed $3.25 million, requests release from Twins

In some ways, Gomez is in a no win situation, he himself admits he isnt up to par. Unfortunately we took on someone else's mistake, and gave up a TOP young player.

I cant see Gomez having a comeback year. Take away this CONTRACT, and he may actually be better. Takes lot of guts to do what Niskioka did, perhaps its a Culture difference where the burden of his contract was too much.

Hope the new CBA, will give flexibility to deal with such issues/contracts, and save face for the team and also the player!

Would be nice to see Gomez contract gone, but disagree about flexibility, because if a GM is that dumb, he should just have to live with err in judgement.

I'm pretty sure Nishioka will get a deal back at home in Japan for big bucks. He didn't just walk away from the contract for the sake of being nice to the Twins. He'll recoup that money he's walking away from.

As for Gomez, that situation doesn't exist. There won't be teams lining up to give him a multi year, multi million contract. Sure, some teams would take a gamble on a cheap deal but he'd come nowhere close to earning what he'd be walking away from.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure Nishioka will get a deal back at home in Japan for big bucks. He didn't just walk away from the contract for the sake of being nice to the Twins. He'll recoup that money he's walking away from.

As for Gomez, that situation doesn't exist. There won't be teams lining up to give him a multi year, multi million contract. Sure, some teams would take a gamble on a cheap deal but he'd come nowhere close to earning what he'd be walking away from.

Honestly he could lose an entire digit off his salary.

I think it was the weight of his contract that did in Theodore. He ceased to be a hockey player when he signed it and became an oversold stock. Hero to zero.