2013 NHL Draft

Commandant

With all those picksin the 2nd round isnt it most likely that we will trade up in the first round? Like 4-5 spots.

To move up 4-5 spots, i wouldn't.

Don't see a big difference between 20 and 25. I'd rather have more picks.

IF we are moving to top 10 (unlikely) thats a different story.

Bjorkstrand wasn't on "the big line" but the fact is he didn't face top defenders either, because coaches would match their best guys againts the big line.

sure and you have him at 49, which seems bout right, i just mean he played very well as a rookie and showed a bit of a good all round game and wouldnt be a bad choice @ 55.

So Commandant how would you rate this draft looking at it now? Normally I hear a lot about a draft being weak, deep, or lacking top talent. Haven't heard anything about the general caliber of the draft, only hear about the big three.

So Commandant how would you rate this draft looking at it now? Normally I hear a lot about a draft being weak, deep, or lacking top talent. Haven't heard anything about the general caliber of the draft, only hear about the big three.

I've heard a lot of crazy things about this draft being one of the best ever and stuff.... in my mind, its an above average year, but its not challenging 2003 or anything crazy.

Its about the same as last year IMO.

Last year people were talking about such a weak draft... I never saw it that way, I thought it was a very good draft, with a lot of defenceman. This year I see similar but forwards.

I've heard a lot of crazy things about this draft being one of the best ever and stuff.... in my mind, its an above average year, but its not challenging 2003 or anything crazy.

Its about the same as last year IMO.

Last year people were talking about such a weak draft... I never saw it that way, I thought it was a very good draft, with a lot of defenceman. This year I see similar but forwards.

so basically this draft should produce at about historic average, 63% 1st round NHL success, 25% for 2nd and 12% for rest?

so basically this draft should produce at about historic average, 63% 1st round NHL success, 25% for 2nd and 12% for rest?

You never know for sure... I'd say slightly above average would be my guess (but nothing mind blowing)... but we'll judge in 5-10 years.

If anyone's wondering, our mock draft will be up around the middle of this week (first round plus the first six Montreal selections). In the meantime, we have daily profiles of some of the prospects that could be considered with the 25th selection. The first three are already up for your reading enjoyment, there are three more to come.

You never know for sure... I'd say slightly above average would be my guess (but nothing mind blowing)... but we'll judge in 5-10 years.

Seems flipping through past 2nd rounds, to have 8 or 9 of 30 make NHL is best could expect and only 5 or 6 make it in off years.

So if Habs could hit on 1 of the 3 would be about right?

But on paper, still seems to be a fair number of very good looking kids to pick from in 30-60 range.

Seems flipping through past 2nd rounds, to have 8 or 9 of 30 make NHL is best could expect and only 5 or 6 make it in off years.

So if Habs could hit on 1 of the 3 would be about right?

But on paper, still seems to be a fair number of very good looking kids to pick from in 30-60 range.

In a typical year, you want your 1st and one other pick to make the NHL. Based on the 8 or 9 2nd rounders making it, it's fair to figure one of the three 2nd rounders would make it. Given the better depth of the draft, I think the goal this year should be to get three NHL'ers - there's a good chance both 34 and 36 can become regulars.

In a typical year, you want your 1st and one other pick to make the NHL. Based on the 8 or 9 2nd rounders making it, it's fair to figure one of the three 2nd rounders would make it. Given the better depth of the draft, I think the goal this year should be to get three NHL'ers - there's a good chance both 34 and 36 can become regulars.

Naw, I want all the picks to make the NHL.

Does anyone see an interest in Sandford in late rounds by Montreal. Just from the bio he seems to be the type of player that could interest Montreal. Size and skills. Just asking.

Does anyone see an interest in Sandford in late rounds by Montreal. Just from the bio he seems to be the type of player that could interest Montreal. Size and skills. Just asking.

IMO.... He won't be there for late rounds.... the whole point of me making him an HM is that all the buzz I'm hearing is late 2nd/early 3rd.

So you feel a bit better about draft depth than normal eh.

I love the whole 25-34-36 grouping for Dudley-Timmins and crew to get at least 2 kids they are fairly high on.

Is such a crapshoot, last year both Thrower and Lukas Sutter seemed very safe 2nd round picks and both sort of regressed/had bad years and Dietz now looks like he has worked his ass off and could do well as a pro.

NHL.com posted the official draft order today. Why is this relevant? They're showing that the Habs still have their 4th rounder (116th overall). Of course, that's the pick we all thought was heading to the Islanders as part of the James Wisniewski deal (and that the Cammalleri trade had an impact on). From following the various conditions of the original trade, I still think the Isles should have that pick but I'd be delighted to be wrong on that one.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675365&navid=nhl:topheads

Also, the HW Mock Draft will be on the site tomorrow. I was shooting for tonight but I'm not going to get to the finishing touches until sometime tomorrow afternoon most likely.