2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

Watched Pittsburg and Boston today. Krejci and Letang both went down and didn't return. Krejci looked bad, possibly a broken knee cap. We have had our share of injuries of late, but these two have to hurt the fortunes of Pittsburg and Boston.

Last night Bogosian got 2 min for instigating/ 5&10 but was never thrown out of game. He later scored the winning goal in shootout. How was it that he was not thrown out of game for the instigator penalty?

The instigator isn't an automatic game misconduct, just the 2/5/10. Sometimes, officials will tack on the game misconduct but they don't have to.

Goals for

26th Edmonton : 66

27th NYR : 65

28th Nashville : 65

29th San Jose : 64

30th Columbus : 64

Never expected to see NYR, SJ and EDM this close to the dead last place in scoring.

How far has Matt D'Agostini's stock fallen? He's off to New Jersey with a conditional 7th in 2015 for a conditional 4th or 5th in 2015.

Lots of guys on waivers today too - Zach Boychuk (yet again), Brian Lee, Jeff Halpern, and Joey Crabb. Crabb is having a really rough year but he's a year removed from a 26 point year (in 67 games), one where he picked up just over 100 hits as well. He's a UFA after the season, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a chance.

Guy Boucher gets let go from Tampa Bay, no replacement has yet been named. (I have to think Jon Cooper is a contender for the job though.) He winds up with a 97-78-20 record with the Bolts. By comparison, Jacques Martin, who some here wanted fired for Boucher, had a 96-75-25 record with the Habs. 1 game difference and the Habs had 3 more points (and each team had 1 ECF appearance).

Guy Boucher gets let go from Tampa Bay, no replacement has yet been named. (I have to think Jon Cooper is a contender for the job though.) He winds up with a 97-78-20 record with the Bolts. By comparison, Jacques Martin, who some here wanted fired for Boucher, had a 96-75-25 record with the Habs. 1 game difference and the Habs had 3 more points (and each team had 1 ECF appearance).

Boucher is a bit of a wiz kid system guy. It's clear the Lightning bought into it after first but this season they are tuning him out. Doesn't help either he has hulking mammoths on his defence and they play with no grit. Proof that you need more than just size. But that's probably the players/Yzerman's fault.

Boucher is a bit of a wiz kid system guy. It's clear the Lightning bought into it after first but this season they are tuning him out. Doesn't help either he has hulking mammoths on his defence and they play with no grit. Proof that you need more than just size. But that's probably the players/Yzerman's fault.

At some point, TB is gonna have to get a legit #1 goalie.

I was always irritated by the Boucher-is-a-genius-Martin-is-an-idiot crowd. I'm sure Boucher will get hired elsewhere eventually, but that whole line of debate was based on a pathological hatred of JM and the typical 'two in the bush' mentality of Habs fans.

In fact, a lot of dubious things have been said about Tampa. Everyone was in awe of Yzerman even though he hadn't done anything exceptional. Boucher was supposed to be the second coming of Scotty Bowman based on a bit of success in Hamilton. If Yzerman is smart he will bring in Lindy Ruff and go from there.

You're normally a wealth of info, and I read all your posts. But that comparison is irrelevant. I can't believe some still talk about Jacques Martin, who cares? For that matter, I wasn't concerned when Boucher took the Tampa job, and the same goes for Kirk Muller. Both are young men, and can return to Montreal one day if they were any good at coaching. Personally, I laugh at that super intense face Boucher makes. He looked to me like the classic wound too tight coach. His act wears thin. Easy to say now, sure.

You're normally a wealth of info, and I read all your posts. But that comparison is irrelevant. I can't believe some still talk about Jacques Martin, who cares? For that matter, I wasn't concerned when Boucher took the Tampa job, and the same goes for Kirk Muller. Both are young men, and can return to Montreal one day if they were any good at coaching. Personally, I laugh at that super intense face Boucher makes. He looked to me like the classic wound too tight coach. His act wears thin. Easy to say now, sure.

I just know a lot of people like to compare the two coaches so I tossed their records together and noted that they're quite close. It wasn't a case of trying to say one's better than the other or one would have been a better fit. Just that the records were very close.

I just know a lot of people like to compare the two coaches so I tossed their records together and noted that they're quite close. It wasn't a case of trying to say one's better than the other or one would have been a better fit. Just that the records were very close.

The comparison is worth making because there was SO much hysteria over the loss of Boucher at the time, and so much of it was predicated on the ideas that, first, Jacques Martin was the worst coach in the history of mankind, and second, Boucher was some kind of super-genius whose departure we would live to regret for years to come. Given the intensity of this argument it makes sense to go back and revisit it now.

It turns out both the JM defenders (e.g., me) and the Boucher-boosters (seemingly 90% of the board) were both wrong - the ideal coach for the Habs was...Michel Therrien!!! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

• Upvote 1

The comparison is worth making because there was SO much hysteria over the loss of Boucher at the time, and so much of it was predicated on the ideas that, first, Jacques Martin was the worst coach in the history of mankind, and second, Boucher was some kind of super-genius whose departure we would live to regret for years to come. Given the intensity of this argument it makes sense to go back and revisit it now.

It turns out both the JM defenders (e.g., me) and the Boucher-boosters (seemingly 90% of the board) were both wrong - the ideal coach for the Habs was...Michel Therrien!!! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

Just no, please. Completely comparing apples and oranges. Different personnel, situations. That's like saying Therrien is a genius, and both Martin and Boucher are morons. All 3 can coach. So much more goes into it. That's the stuff you see written by 12 year olds on TSN comments after a game.

I was always irritated by the Boucher-is-a-genius-Martin-is-an-idiot crowd. I'm sure Boucher will get hired elsewhere eventually, but that whole line of debate was based on a pathological hatred of JM and the typical 'two in the bush' mentality of Habs fans.

In fact, a lot of dubious things have been said about Tampa. Everyone was in awe of Yzerman even though he hadn't done anything exceptional. Boucher was supposed to be the second coming of Scotty Bowman based on a bit of success in Hamilton. If Yzerman is smart he will bring in Lindy Ruff and go from there.

Actually, Ruff would be a mistake I think. The right man for Tampa is their AHL coach in Jon Cooper but Yzerman will probably go with Ruff. Funny enough that sounds exactly like the Martin/Boucher situation but yeah.

The Lightning should be the Pittsburgh Penguins of the Southeast but for some reason Yzerman hasn't figured out how to secure a goalie yet (and is now banking on a young goalie to become his number one. Like Tampa has had success doing that in the past) nor has he understood what balancing your defencemen means. Boucher however is a system guy. When the individual players were having game issues he didn't have a bloody clue what to do.

Funny fact on Boucher: He got mocked badly for the 1-3-1 which lead to much of the Lightning's success in his first season with them. He stopped doing it after the infamous Flyers game. The first time he did it again? His last game against Ottawa. One for the coincidence book eh?

Alexander Semin signs a 5 year, $35 M extension with Carolina. He's making $7 mil this season as well and is a point-per-game player. I thought $7 million was a short-term overpayment to coerce Semin to signing there, I really didn't think that would be his future market value as well.

Alexander Semin signs a 5 year, $35 M extension with Carolina. He's making $7 mil this season as well and is a point-per-game player. I thought $7 million was a short-term overpayment to coerce Semin to signing there, I really didn't think that would be his future market value as well.

Huge risk for Carolina given Semin's profile.