2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

I'd say the odds are pretty good that will happen. The only way Nashville can move their pick into the 40's is by running the table and having a whole lot of non playoff teams lose. With all the games in hand teams around them have (and the ugly lineup they're trotting out), it looks like there's a pretty good chance that pick will be top 5 in the round. Calgary's is harder to project with the extra games remaining but I think it could stay top 5 in the round as well.

Right now, these 2 picks are top 6. :1banana:

Boston / Pitts might be cancelled tonight due to the lock down. This may delay the start of the playoffs as Boston as no time to make up the game. Other options : play tonight with no crowd. Don't play it if it won't effect standings.

Strange stuff going down.

Milan Lucic was dropped to the '5th line' at Boston practice today and may be a healthy scratch tomorrow. That $6M per year extension that kicks in next year isn't looking too good right now...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/milan-lucic-dropped-5th-line-could-be-headed-healthy-scratch

He needs a wake up call. He's still an imposing player on the ice but needs his head back in the game. Whenever Boston plays again.

Boston / Pitts might be cancelled tonight due to the lock down. This may delay the start of the playoffs as Boston as no time to make up the game. Other options : play tonight with no crowd. Don't play it if it won't effect standings.

Strange stuff going down.

Both teams are off tomorrow/Monday so they were able to schedule an afternoon game tomorrow to make this one up. As a result, it shouldn't affect the start of the postseason. If the lockdown continues into tomorrow...then we're likely looking at a delay of sorts.

Both teams are off tomorrow/Monday so they were able to schedule an afternoon game tomorrow to make this one up. As a result, it shouldn't affect the start of the postseason. If the lockdown continues into tomorrow...then we're likely looking at a delay of sorts.

Lockdown is now over.

Calgary's on a 3 game winning streak, unbelievable. There's a very good chance that pick falls outside the top-5 now (likely somewhere from 36-38) barring the teams behind them going on a bit of a run. Nashville's looks like the better of the two now, it's still on pace to be in the 33-35 range.

Cammalleri has had a good season on a bad team. Leading the Flames in scoring. Lee Stempniak on the other hand is creating himself some ridiculous value with 31 points and a positive +/- on a terrible team. I always forget that Jiri Hudler plays for Calgary.

Calder Trophy race :

Huberdeau : 45 gp / 14g / 14a / 28pts / -16 / 16:51 TOI/G

Conacher : 44 gp / 11g / 17a / 28 pts / +1 / 14:11 TOI/G (been traded)

Gallagher : 41 gp / 13g / 12a / 25 pts / +7 / 13:55 TOI/G

Yakupov : 45 gp / 11g / 14a / 25 pts / -10 / 14:21

Saad, Galchenyuk and J. Schultz follow.

Very happy to see a new face in the playoffs (despite the fact that I have 0 respect for this franchise nowadays).

Welcome in the playoffs NYI.

Draft pick update (is anyone else following the West race more than the East solely for the picks or am I the only one?):

- With the loss last night, Calgary's 2nd round pick will be no worse than 37th. However, the highest it can go is 34. Even with a loss tonight to Chicago, it could still sit at 37.

- With the loss last night, Nashville's 2nd round pick will be no worse than 37th. It, however, could still go as high as 32 and with a regulation loss in their final game (vs Columbus tomorrow), it can be no worse than 34th.

- With the loss last night, Dallas' 3rd round pick will be no worse than 72nd. If they lose their final game (to Detroit tomorrow), it could move as high as 69.

Long story short, there's still a pretty good chance one of the two extra second rounders will be top five in the round but it's unlikely both will be (Calgary would need to lose in regulation and a few other games would have to go our way).

Early speculation is that Robin Lehner may get the start for Ottawa today against Boston. If so, he'll have played all 5 games against Boston out of just 12 games played on the year. That's a bit odd for a backup goalie against any team let alone a division rival...not to mention of course the relevant playoff implications of this game. If anyone's wondering, Lehner has lost every one of those games vs the Bruins.

I doubt that Gainey has the inner fire to be a GM any more. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if that fire was extinguished after Laura's death; whether or not he truly recognized that until some time later is another story.

The guy has won Cup after Cup, been through every war and every personal trauma imaginable. What more has he got to prove? If I were him, a position as 'advisor' - keeping me involved, but at a lower level of intensity - would be just what the doctor ordered, allowing me to move into my twilight years with some modicum of serenity.

I don't think it's possible to exaggerate the impact that a loss on that scale can have on a person, whether it be Gainey or Brian Burke. Frankly, it's doubtful that either of them should have stayed on following those tragedies. There is simply no way you can be a peak performer in the short- to medium-term after that, and the process of coming to grips with it - especially for 'tough' guys like those who are apt to repress - can take years. But again, I'm not in their shoes.

Joe Sacco is fired as coach of the Avalanche. It's about time. I don't think we'll see his name mentioned any time soon for another NHL head coaching job.

Yeah, he stayed around a little too long.

Nill will be a great pick up for Dallas. I wanted him in Montreal. I guess his wife must be feeling better.