Brandon Prust wins the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy

dlbalr

Despite several members of the local media announcing in advance that they all voted for Francis Bouillon, it's Brandon Prust who got the nod for the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy, more commonly thought of as the Unsung Hero award. This marks the third team that Prust has received this honour as he won similar awards with Calgary and New York.

Bouillon finished a somewhat distant second in the voting while Peter Budaj finished 3rd, just a few points behind the d-man.

Any thoughts on him being the Captain after Gio? Gorges really doesn't look like himself this year. I'd want a number one center or defenseman to be the Captain, but I don't see Plekanec or Subban fitting the bill. I don't want Gorges. (See: Bryce Salvador)

I could see it. If Markov re-signed at a decent price I'd consider him for captain as well.

Any thoughts on him being the Captain after Gio? Gorges really doesn't look like himself this year. I'd want a number one center or defenseman to be the Captain, but I don't see Plekanec or Subban fitting the bill. I don't want Gorges. (See: Bryce Salvador)

"Gio" as in Gionta, our leading goal scorer?

Despite several members of the local media announcing in advance that they all voted for Francis Bouillon, it's Brandon Prust who got the nod for the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy, more commonly thought of as the Unsung Hero award. This marks the third team that Prust has received this honour as he won similar awards with Calgary and New York.

Bouillon finished a somewhat distant second in the voting while Peter Budaj finished 3rd, just a few points behind the d-man.

He's great. Congrats ! Well deserved. True professional and team player. Well worth his contract.

"Gio" as in Gionta, our leading goal scorer?

Technically yes he has scored more goals as a Montreal Canadien than anyone else but Ryder has 16 goals.

However you're right. People are so adamant of getting Gio off the team that they'll undersell his contribution to the team.

Markov won't be captain if and when Gio leaves. He had the chance before and declined. I must say I would not be surprised to see Pleks wearing the "C" someday,

The issue with Gionta isn't that he's bad, just that he's overpaid (as well as tiny). This inevitably makes you a whipping boy in the cap era. Let's see how he does in the playoffs, shall we?

Technically yes he has scored more goals as a Montreal Canadien than anyone else but Ryder has 16 goals.

I've always liked Gionta, he's streaky, like most wingers, but he does a lot of great things on defense too. He might resign, but after a few years they might want to go in a different direction, he isn't getting any younger.

However you're right. People are so adamant of getting Gio off the team that they'll undersell his contribution to the team.

The issue with Gionta isn't that he's bad, just that he's overpaid (as well as tiny). This inevitably makes you a whipping boy in the cap era. Let's see how he does in the playoffs, shall we?

He also disappears for long stretches, and when he's bad, he's very bad; I can't remember seeing a guy whiff on more one-timers from prime scoring areas in a season...it's like he has a hole in his stick when he's off his game. He had three such swing-and-misses in a recent game.

He also disappears for long stretches, and when he's bad, he's very bad; I can't remember seeing a guy whiff on more one-timers from prime scoring areas in a season...it's like he has a hole in his stick when he's off his game. He had three such swing-and-misses in a recent game.

I agree that when he's snakebit, he's SNAKEBIT, but even during those cold stretches he hustles and competes in that way. Even when he's not hitting the scoresheet, he's contributing.

I agree that when he's snakebit, he's SNAKEBIT, but even during those cold stretches he hustles and competes in that way. Even when he's not hitting the scoresheet, he's contributing.

Gionta is one player for sure I'd say a lot of times doesn't touch the puck but deserves the assist as much or more than the players who got on the scoresheet. Sometimes it's just getting to the net or digging in the corners. Gallagher is the same way.

Regardless of how he does in the playoffs we need to trade him. If he does well, it should boast his value. We can't have 3 guys under 5'8" on the top 9.

Gionta generally has a terrible shooting percentage - with the exception if his one outlier 48 goal year. Galleghar and Gionta are habs who actually do go to the net on a regular basis. The problem is the goalie usually is able to see over them.

Markov won't be captain if and when Gio leaves. He had the chance before and declined. I must say I would not be surprised to see Pleks wearing the "C" someday,

It's not the streakyness I'm referring to - all goal scorers, other the elite ones are streaky on a REGULAR basis. I just find Gionta tends to have a pretty low shooting percentage than most goal scorers. I guess part of that is because he tends to take a lot of shots from everywhere and isn't very selective in his shooting.

Many goal-scorers are streaky like that. It's hard to understand, but it seems to be a fact.

Regardless of how he does in the playoffs we need to trade him. If he does well, it should boast his value. We can't have 3 guys under 5'8" on the top 9.

Then why not Desharnais?

He's underperformed more than Gionta has this season.

I'm not sure I understand the need to 'get rid' of anybody (except Kaberle, of course). If you have a chance to IMPROVE the team by adding a guy who is better than Gio, or better than DD, then sure, go ahead. But these improvenments don't just fall from the heavens, and subtracting talent doesn't make you any better.

I agree that Gionta has to be replaced, but i don't think we would necessarily have his replacement when we move him, or that we could move him for his replacement becauae of his NTC (though id love to move him as part if a package for Pajaarvi). Gionta is probably a draft day move if we are able to move him.

As long as Gionta is here, he will be on the first two lines. We need to bring room to bring some in.

I'm not sure I understand the need to 'get rid' of anybody (except Kaberle, of course). If you have a chance to IMPROVE the team by adding a guy who is better than Gio, or better than DD, then sure, go ahead. But these improvenments don't just fall from the heavens, and subtracting talent doesn't make you any better.

I don't see MB move him right after signing him for 4 years. I do hope that he is moved to the wing though.

Then why not Desharnais?

He's underperformed more than Gionta has this season.