2013 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Corey Crawford gets a 6 year, $36 M extension from Chicago. Evidently they're banking on his strong play last year being the new norm for him. I don't see that happening although I don't think his numbers will be below average like they were in 2011-12 either.

Also, Ryan O'Byrne signs a 2 year deal in the KHL. Evidently his oft-praised physicality wasn't enough to warrant a sniff from an NHL team (this doesn't surprise me any but some on here wanted the Habs to get him at the deadline).

That Crawford money is crazy. I thought they could have gotten some kind of bargain on the cap hit with such a long term. And there's really no reason why they had to do it now.

Some big name players will be forced out with the Toews and Kane extensions.

Also, Ryan O'Byrne signs a 2 year deal in the KHL. Evidently his oft-praised physicality wasn't enough to warrant a sniff from an NHL team (this doesn't surprise me any but some on here wanted the Habs to get him at the deadline).

I think he'll like it over there. I imagine he's hoping it will be an opportunity to display his talent for a return to the NHL in the next year or two.

Count me among those who believes that Crawford is a decent goalie made to look great by playing for a great team. If this is right, then $6 mil is bonkers for him. Of course, Price's contract is also bonkers, arguably, based on results delivered so far.

Ouch, whoever thinks of these jersey ideas (remember the slug?) needs to be replaced. Finally, a positive of re-alignment: One less chance of having to see those jerseys when they play Montreal. By the way, the colour at the back of the jersey is mostly navy blue - between that and the added grey at the end of the sleeves, this is one weird design.

Sabres' 3rd jersey for the upcoming season.

YAAAAAAARK !!!

1231074_10151584117222353_582519640_n.jp

If it was April 1st, I'd have sworn this was a prank.

It looks like a practice jersey for the healthy scratches.

With Niklas Hjalmarsson getting a new 5 year extension with a cap hit of $4.1 M today, Chicago now has $66.4 million committed in payroll for next season on just 14 players. They must really think the cap is going to jump or they'll be moving a player of note out come next offseason.

There's speculation that Brian Burke could be joining Calgary. Early reports suggest it's a CEO type of role but I can't see that being the case, at least for long. If he's hired, he'll be replacing Feaster pretty quickly I'd imagine. That would be a good thing for them too.

It seems like Chicago's guarranteed to get rid of Hossa after this season, just like New York with Richards. At least Chicago's big contract players still have value on the ice.

The Rangers still have a compliance (amnesty) buyout left to use for Richards. Chicago used both of theirs this offseason on Montador and Olesz which I think may come back to bite them. I thought they'd have kept one given that it's a back-diving contract that has recapture penalties when he retires.

If it was April 1st, I'd have sworn this was a prank.

It looks like a practice jersey for the healthy scratches.

What's with those grey sleeve-cuffs? My God, seizure rates will spike upward everytime these abominations are on the ice. They must have used the same brain-dead designers who developed those hilarious Team USA unis.

What's with those grey sleeve-cuffs? My God, seizure rates will spike upward everytime these abominations are on the ice. They must have used the same brain-dead designers who developed those hilarious Team USA unis.

It's the tiny 'buffalo' that makes me laugh.

The Rangers still have a compliance (amnesty) buyout left to use for Richards. Chicago used both of theirs this offseason on Montador and Olesz which I think may come back to bite them. I thought they'd have kept one given that it's a back-diving contract that has recapture penalties when he retires.

Whoops, I forgot about that. Hossa's deal lasts until he's 42, it'll definitely bite them down the road.

It's the tiny 'buffalo' that makes me laugh.

Yeah, it looks like somebody printed it up something in 14-point font off the computer and pasted it above the crest. :scared: At least our 'barberpole' jerseys were a) historic and b) rejected by the GM after one use rather than actually *developed* by the team for marketing purposes. Yeeesh.

Further to this...check some of these out! I haven't laughed this hard in ages. Make sure you watch the whole slide-show, there are some real whoppers buried in here. (E.g., the Santa Claus jerseys at 42, the Anaheim jersey at 19, the St Louis abortion that the coach refused to wear, and the all-time champ at 43, the Quad City Mallards!)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1128298-50-ugliest-hockey-team-jerseys-ever/page/1

Further to this...check some of these out! I haven't laughed this hard in ages. Make sure you watch the whole slide-show, there are some real whoppers buried in here. (E.g., the Santa Claus jerseys at 42, the Anaheim jersey at 19, the St Louis abortion that the coach refused to wear, and the all-time champ at 43, the Quad City Mallards!)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1128298-50-ugliest-hockey-team-jerseys-ever/page/1

Some of those were terrible, but that Quad City one was on a whole new level. Whoever designed that had to be in on the joke.

One that I like despite acknowledging its ridiculousness is that old Phoenix one. It's great in a 90's stoner/11-year-old-kid sort of way.

Some of those were terrible, but that Quad City one was on a whole new level. Whoever designed that had to be in on the joke.

One that I like despite acknowledging its ridiculousness is that old Phoenix one. It's great in a 90's stoner/11-year-old-kid sort of way.

Can you imagine *being* a Quad City Mallard? Not bad enough that you have a ridiculous team name, but then you have to get out there and go to war...looking like complete clowns. Gotta be tough to take!

Can you imagine *being* a Quad City Mallard? Not bad enough that you have a ridiculous team name, but then you have to get out there and go to war...looking like complete clowns. Gotta be tough to take!

It might push some career minor-leaguers to consider something a new line of work.

Marcus Johansson signs a 2 year, $4 M deal with the Caps. He has over 200 games experience and his production is equivalent to that of a 2nd/3rd liner (though his role may be higher this year). That's a good deal for both sides (it's backloaded a bit so the QO will be higher in 2 years time), nice to see someone else use a bridge deal, hopefully other teams follow suit.

Hal Gill invited to Flyers training camp. They already have 9 defensemen on one way contracts (10 with Pronger, though he obviously doesn't count.)

I figured Gill would get an invite to a camp, but I didn't expect it to be with Philly.

There are 8 RFA's left, several of which are likely in a bridge vs non-bridge battle. They are:

Cody Hodgson (BUF)

Martin Jones (LA) - this looks like another Tokarski type of contract situation

Derek Stepan (NYR)

Jared Cowen (OTT)

Alex Pietrangelo (STL) - apparently the Blues are willing to go 8 years, money is more the issue than term

Nazem Kadri (TOR) - it looks like they've agreed on a 2 year deal, still about 20% apart on money

Cody Franson (TOR)

Arturs Kulda (WPG) - mid-season signing from the KHL and now wants to go back there

Nonis' handling of the Leafs finances is nothing short of spectacular. Pretty much everything would have to go right for them to not completely fall apart for the next several years. Don't worry boys, Leaf Fail Nation is still on course.

Oh yeah, for anyone curious as to how bad of shape the Leafs are in? Go look up their top five prospects not in the NHL. It's pretty much Morgan Reilly and then a bunch of longshots.

Dan Cleary gets 3 years and $2.75 M per from Philly...with a full no-trade clause. The deal can't be made official until the opening roster declaration as the Flyers would exceed the offseason cap (cap plus 10%) with the signing now - Pronger can't go on LTIR until the first day of the season, I'm guessing Meszaros is headed there as well for this to work. I think the Flyers subscribe to the theory that the best defence is a good offence, that has worked out so well for them in recent years...

Dan Cleary gets 3 years and $2.75 M per from Philly...with a full no-trade clause. The deal can't be made official until the opening roster declaration as the Flyers would exceed the offseason cap (cap plus 10%) with the signing now - Pronger can't go on LTIR until the first day of the season, I'm guessing Meszaros is headed there as well for this to work. I think the Flyers subscribe to the theory that the best defence is a good offence, that has worked out so well for them in recent years...

They also invited Hal Gill to their camp.