2013 Hamilton Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Aliu is off to a good start in the preseason with a pair of helpers already. Hamilton and Toronto are tied 2-2, goals by Nystrom and Wiseman.

The Bulldogs quietly made one cut the other day, sending Chris Festarini back to junior when Tokarski was sent down.

I thought their roster was pretty well set before their camp opened. There can't be much room to sign anyone unless they are going to up their traditional circa five guys to Wheeling. I think Alui will make the club. I wouldn't hold my breath on too many other additions. Maybe this new management will surprise.

I thought their roster was pretty well set before their camp opened. There can't be much room to sign anyone unless they are going to up their traditional circa five guys to Wheeling. I think Alui will make the club. I wouldn't hold my breath on too many other additions. Maybe this new management will surprise.

I think they'll add another tough guy to help Tarnasky. Aliu is one of many vying for that role although if he could put it all together, he could have a larger impact. Another d-man would also be a useful addition although Lashoff got hurt last night which may do him in (he was probably the leading candidate to earn a spot). I'm hoping they get a couple others on ECHL deals; with a longer NHL season, the need for more depth will increase.

7 cuts made today:

- Delmas has been assigned to Orlando of the ECHL (affiliate of MIN/TOR)

- Released were Andre Bouvet-Morrissette, Trevor Bruess, David Laliberte and Chad Wiseman as well as defencemen Pierre Durepos and Matt Lashoff.

More cuts:

To Wheeling: Condon, Grassi

To Vancouver (WHL): Thrower

Released: Cianfrini, Price, Narbonne, Wilson

29 left in camp (19 F, 8 D, 2 G).

Tryouts remaining are:

D - McIver

F - Macenauer, Aliu, Owens, Belzile

I'd say things are looking up for McIver as 8 D is something I could see them going with.

Both surprised and not surprised on Thrower.

Here's hoping he has a rebound season in Vancouver.

I expected him to go back and will be good for him to play under Don Hay.

Dietz got exposed in pre-season and adding Thrower to Dietz, Nygren and other young-d in Hamilton didn't seem likely.

Thrower and Bennett will get their shot next fall once Tinordi and Pateryn likely will have moved on.

The league start season tomorrow. Have they finalized their roster? When does their roster have to be in? Apparently they don't play for a week.

There are no roster size limits so technically, there really isn't a deadline. Hamilton still has a preseason game to play (tonight) so I wouldn't expect any more cuts to come until at least tomorrow.

Forward lines tonight:

Aliu - Duffy - Andrighetto

Nystrom - Belzile - Leblanc

MacAulay - Nattinen - Macenauer

Courtnall - Chaput - Owens

Aliu is also playing on the top PP unit. He's not signed yet but that to me is a sign that they're looking at signing him.

1-0 Hamilton after 2. Mayer got the start and played the first half, Tokarski's in for the second half.

Aliu, McIver, and Macenauer all sign 25-game PTO's.

Full roster: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3212

New guess at the opening night lineup:

Forwards:

Blunden - St. Pierre - Leblanc

Holland - Dumont - Andrighetto

Tarnasky - Nattinen - Nystrom

Aliu - Duffy - Fournier

Spares: Courtnall, Macenauer

Injured: Thomas, Quailer

Defence:

Beaulieu - Pateryn

Tinordi - Ellis

Nygren - Dietz

Spares: Schiestel, McIver

Goalies:

Tokarski/Mayer

Hi Brian: Just to clean things up abit. McIver, Thomas and Quailer don't appear on the roster at the Hamilton site nor the AHL site. I believe Quailer is still technically a Hab. I am wondering if McIver like Thomas is hurt and that's why he isn't there. Cinafrini had already signed with Wheeling before he came to the bulldogs camp so there was no urgent need to sign him. There is still the possibility that Wheeling will pick up some of the loose ends like maybe Bezile. Does the Echl have a roster limit?

Hi Brian: Just to clean things up abit. McIver, Thomas and Quailer don't appear on the roster at the Hamilton site nor the AHL site. I believe Quailer is still technically a Hab. I am wondering if McIver like Thomas is hurt and that's why he isn't there. Cinafrini had already signed with Wheeling before he came to the bulldogs camp so there was no urgent need to sign him. There is still the possibility that Wheeling will pick up some of the loose ends like maybe Bezile. Does the Echl have a roster limit?

McIver is on both rosters - he's #11. Thomas and Quailer are on SOIR with the Habs, a more detailed explanation is in the link. There are ECHL roster size limits, no more than 20 active players with the exception of the first month where 21 is allowed. Wheeling already has 13 players signed plus four on loan from Hamilton (Condon, Grassi, MacAulay, and Chaput) and at least two that I can find from W-B Scranton. I don't think there's room to add any of the castaways.

Sorry Dlbair: I must be blind as a bat. Agreed about Wheeling roster. Pittsburg typically sends as many or more than we do. It isn't far fetched though, that they would release somebody they have just signed this year. It happens all the time in that league.

Sorry Dlbair: I must be blind as a bat. Agreed about Wheeling roster. Pittsburg typically sends as many or more than we do. It isn't far fetched though, that they would release somebody they have just signed this year. It happens all the time in that league.

Yeah, it's normal for a few guys signed to Wheeling to get a bit of a look in one their affiliates camps. Most of the signed Wheeling guys went to the Penguins' camp, I think only Cianfrini went to the Bulldogs'. I think Belzile may wind up back with Gwinnett.

Hi there , I'm Becca ;
I'll be writing game recaps and some other stories on the Bulldogs as i'm here in Hamilton !
I hope to speak with some of you guys as well on your thoughts on games , players, and anything else :)
here's a short little pre season recap before our home opener this weekend !

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3214

Go Dogs :)