Time to look at signing Gagne

habs rule

exactly what is panicky about signing a ufa to a short term low cost contract?

Wasting a contract spot on a player who isn't much of an asset anymore and is all but guaranteed to be injured long-term. The Habs don't have a ton of cap space when everyone's healthy, it wouldn't be wise to waste some of the space they have on an injury waiting to happen. That may not be 'panicky' but it wouldn't be smart.

• Upvote 1

Wasting a contract spot on a player who isn't much of an asset anymore and is all but guaranteed to be injured long-term. The Habs don't have a ton of cap space when everyone's healthy, it wouldn't be wise to waste some of the space they have on an injury waiting to happen. That may not be 'panicky' but it wouldn't be smart.

The let's just sit here and hope all is going to be ok group, bugs me. This is the NHL, where a 10 game losing streak can cost the season. We are in a tough fight, so I would have to say that looking at cheap alternatives is not panicking. It is good leadership. Now with the benefit of hind sight and the fact that the kids have really played well, I think we may be ok. But we are winning and losing games by 1 or 2 goals, a cheap experienced guy could be the difference in the short term. After watching the kids play the last 2 games, I am inclined to say "close the thread" but the GM should keep all options open cause another serious injury and we may be in huge trouble. And I am not too sure how everyone knows he is washed up at 33. By the way, what are the odds of our 4 million dollar has been coming back? At least Gagner would be cheap and short term.

Yes, he'd be cheap and short term but would he be any better than the youngsters like Holland or Leblanc who would be ceding their spot to him if he were to sign? Gagne isn't a top six player anymore, I don't even think I'd have him as a top nine guy and his style doesn't make him a suitable fourth liner. Even with the injuries, there isn't really a spot for him. They're better off with the youngsters and if they aren't ready, trading for a better option makes more sense.

When did Montreal start a 10 game losing streak? Last I saw they won back to back games with a depleted roster by sticking to their defensive strength. Maybe I need to watch the Alternate Universe Hockey League more.

Oh oh oh! The Leafs have won the Cup 10 years in a row there! And I'm the top scorer in the league every year!

Oh oh oh! The Leafs have won the Cup 10 years in a row there! And I'm the top scorer in the league every year!

Don't lie you finished 2nd once.

Also I had a strange dream that the Habs signed Kovalev out of retirement. Yikes.

Guest Stogey24

The let's just sit here and hope all is going to be ok group, bugs me. This is the NHL, where a 10 game losing streak can cost the season. We are in a tough fight, so I would have to say that looking at cheap alternatives is not panicking. It is good leadership. Now with the benefit of hind sight and the fact that the kids have really played well, I think we may be ok. But we are winning and losing games by 1 or 2 goals, a cheap experienced guy could be the difference in the short term. After watching the kids play the last 2 games, I am inclined to say "close the thread" but the GM should keep all options open cause another serious injury and we may be in huge trouble. And I am not too sure how everyone knows he is washed up at 33. By the way, what are the odds of our 4 million dollar has been coming back? At least Gagner would be cheap and short term.

Give it up man.

Guest Stogey24

You got Bournival, rookie, seven points in 10 games (tied for fifth in rookie scoring!) but nope, we need to sign Simon Gagne or else we're hurting this team and not being pro-active enough.

Exactly. The young guys have played excellent.

Also I had a strange dream that the Habs signed Kovalev out of retirement. Yikes.

haha, I can see it. Scores a goal and an assist in his first game back, vows to take French lessons, and is held pointless and never skates faster than half speed for the rest of the year.

haha, I can see it. Scores a goal and an assist in his first game back, vows to take French lessons, and is held pointless and never skates faster than half speed for the rest of the year.

God love him. Kovalev was many things, but boring? - never :lol:

We signed Brière who had a concussion history, just to see him get another concussion. The risks with Gagné are probably higher. It would be a big mistake to sign him. Let's give a chance to the youngsters.

Give it up man.

give up what? I stated a conversation and took the unpopular view, are you saying other peoples opinions are less than yours? We had a good conversation. Isn't that what this site is all about, or do we all have to agree?