Therrien and Holland: Setting up a Young Player for Failure

Commandant

Holland, in his 5 minutes, looked fine and I thought DD's line was good also with Moan.

Moan got 19+ minutes today and I think deserved it, the way he has played so far this year.

I'll agree with you if Holland keeps on getting the grinder treatment over several weeks, but for a couple games of getting your feet wet I don't see a problem - in fact, quite the opposite.

I did like his game today, and he had a nifty play with Bournival which points to him belonging with more skilled players.

Holland is not a high end talent. it is foolish to think that they can just take him and thrust him in to a top 9 role. Someone mentioned Monahan and Bartschi.... it took Bartschi 3 years to find the success he is having at the pro level right now and not one person in the NHL excepted Monahan to play like he is.. You think taking Holland and throwing him on the 3rd or second line is going to accelerate that process? I think more likely it is going to overwhelm him and destroy his confidence early. Ease him into it. There is absolutely no rush for him to be in the top 9 at the moment when what we need is a solid checker who kills penalties. I know we have Moen.... but he has been playing a solid game this year and I think he deserves the ice time.

I didn't say it was going to accelerate him.

I said asking him to play a role that he has never played at any point in his hockey career is going to do more harm, than putting him in a role that takes advantage of what he does naturally well. He's not a natural grinder, he's a natural playmaker. A high end one? No, but still its his best skill.

It isn't about minutes. He can still play on the third line and less than 10 minutes, with Moen double shifting at times (defensive zone faceoffs, etc)....

It is completely about ROLE.

White and Blunden just don't think the game the same way that Holland does. They are completely different players and he just doesn't mesh with them. He needs guys who are also looking for offensive openings in order to mesh properly in the lineup.

Holland is not a high end talent. it is foolish to think that they can just take him and thrust him in to a top 9 role. Someone mentioned Monahan and Bartschi.... it took Bartschi 3 years to find the success he is having at the pro level right now and not one person in the NHL excepted Monahan to play like he is.. You think taking Holland and throwing him on the 3rd or second line is going to accelerate that process? I think more likely it is going to overwhelm him and destroy his confidence early. Ease him into it. There is absolutely no rush for him to be in the top 9 at the moment when what we need is a solid checker who kills penalties. I know we have Moen.... but he has been playing a solid game this year and I think he deserves the ice time.

Monahan was highly thought of for past 2 years in junior and with his size and game, some did predict he was "NHL-ready" or darn near it.

No, Holland will unlikely ever win a Hart nor scoring race, but he can skate, good vision/puck skills and is defensively responsible (just physically not quite ready yet?), so like a Moan/Prust he is unlikely to hurt you with dumb turnovers and I think could easily fill role on 3rd line, but just the experience with team is likely a bonus for him till #67 is back.

But agree with take on Moan.

Holland almost got 10minutes and seems to be gaining coach's confidence. So seems coach's are being conservative, letting him gain more confidence, while still playing sheltered minutes and some PK time.

Seems a good recipe to me and he still is just a temp fill-in for couple more weeks.

Therrien has really surprised me so far, I have few complaints and is unlike Martin who just seemed so dour most of time.

He was sent back down tonight.

But I've loved his effort and intelligence.

He's a smart player - that much is clear. I see some potential there, possibly as high as second line, though he still has a ways to go for that.

• Upvote 1