Flo Rida vs. Montreal | December 15th, 2013 | 1800 EST

Trizzak

I can understand the coach and GM wanting to give DD and Briere a chance to succeed, but it's clear to me at least that they need to put down a notch on the depth chart. Ryan White is a player that works hard, is a great forechecker, hits, and has grit, and lately has really shown that he can make a pass. White, Prust and Moen need to play more than DD and Briere in my opinion, that type of line/players is what we need and we can't expect them to be "sharp" offensively if they never get a chance at an offensive/attack role. These three guys, and even a healthy Bourque, make Mtl's lineup tougher to play against than the two smaller forwards, DD and Briere are too easily removed from the puck and that's the bottom line right there. It should be those two getting the 6-7 minutes of ice time until they themselves can earn more, not by getting some young guy to ignite them, which isn't very fair to Gallagher or Galchenyuk, they like to play with each other, and they have earned more ice time. It's not even fair or helpful for Bournival's future, when I think he could succeed right now in a scoring role, he works hard and hits, and is a fitness machine.....

What could a line of Patches and the two Gally's do? Or Patches, Eller, Galchenyuk? Whoa, a big line with speed? Naw, that would never work....

In my mind we are wasting our top talent in a wishing well by spreading our talent to cover the weakness of the two little engines that couldn't.....

New line.... Briere, DD and Gionta, and 3-5 minutes of ice time for them until they produce something, anything.....

I think everyone can feel a trade coming. Therrien doesn't seem to be doing much in terms of changing his lineup drastically. That usually happens when a coach is trying to tell the GM something. Bergevin has been taking calls but not pulling the trigger. I think we're going to see the trigger pulled.

I think DD and Bourque's days are numbered. Briere will only be moved if an Erik Cole-esque opportunity opens up for us and he agrees to leave. Bourque only has a modified NTC and if he's told he won't get minutes, he'll waive. DD has nothing and his value is pretty high right now from his recent scoring. Pacioretty is a big boy, he'll deal. Crosby dealt with Armstrong leaving. If Bergevin actually has knowledge that Patches is gonna revolt on it, he'll just get moved with him. Highly doubt that'll happen. Patches is a warrior for the CH.

I don't know what or how the move will occur but I'm pretty confident in Bergevin. His trades have been strong so far.

I think everyone can feel a trade coming. Therrien doesn't seem to be doing much in terms of changing his lineup drastically. That usually happens when a coach is trying to tell the GM something. Bergevin has been taking calls but not pulling the trigger. I think we're going to see the trigger pulled.

I think DD and Bourque's days are numbered. Briere will only be moved if an Erik Cole-esque opportunity opens up for us and he agrees to leave. Bourque only has a modified NTC and if he's told he won't get minutes, he'll waive. DD has nothing and his value is pretty high right now from his recent scoring. Pacioretty is a big boy, he'll deal. Crosby dealt with Armstrong leaving. If Bergevin actually has knowledge that Patches is gonna revolt on it, he'll just get moved with him. Highly doubt that'll happen. Patches is a warrior for the CH.

I don't know what or how the move will occur but I'm pretty confident in Bergevin. His trades have been strong so far.

HAHAHAHAHA

I'd like to see a trade, partly because trades are fun and MB really hasn't done anything so far, but mainly just because the team is so obviously wrongly configured up front. I don't think we're as bad as the past few games have suggested, any more than we are as good as the winning streak prior to that implied. But it really is patently true that we have too many shrimps (Gally, Gio, DD, Hero of the Quebec Nation), too few guys who play a power game, and too many declining players (Gio, Bourque, Hero of the Quebec Nation) at FW. I don't know whether this can be fixed via a trade, but when your team has such glaring weaknesses it's abnormal for a GM not to take a serious stab at rectifying it.

I guess when it comes to advanced stats, Briere has been absolutely fantastic in offensive zone possession. Might mean something, might mean nothing. Also, Gallagher and Gionta's height never affect their game. They still get into every spot they want to get in. Gio's best chance against Florida had him right next to the paint and Weaver, angry he got there, decided to chop him in the back and let Montreal take a 5 on 3 powerplay. Ain't nothing there suggesting Gionta's height is an issue. It's just a perception. Gio and Gallagher give it every night which I'll take over a Bourque type that gives it three shifts a night. Same to Desharnais, which is his real issue. He has two or three "offensive accelerated" shifts and the rest he's pretty much worthless on the ice. We'd be better in a PK situation than DD on the ice at times. It's just sometimes those "offensive accelerated" shifts lead to a goal, like the one in OT.

I am all for trading DD and Bourque. They are the same problem regardless of size.

I'd like to see a trade, partly because trades are fun and MB really hasn't done anything so far, but mainly just because the team is so obviously wrongly configured up front. I don't think we're as bad as the past few games have suggested, any more than we are as good as the winning streak prior to that implied. But it really is patently true that we have too many shrimps (Gally, Gio, DD, Hero of the Quebec Nation), too few guys who play a power game, and too many declining players (Gio, Bourque, Hero of the Quebec Nation) at FW. I don't know whether this can be fixed via a trade, but when your team has such glaring weaknesses it's abnormal for a GM not to take a serious stab at rectifying it.

Habs are 3rd place in the East, so doubt will see any knee-jerk reaction from Bergevin after couple losses.

Could be worse if you happened to be a Detroit or Leafs fan.

Guest Stogey24

Habs are 3rd place in the East, so doubt will see any knee-jerk reaction from Bergevin after couple losses.

Could be worse if you happened to be a Detroit or Leafs fan.

We've scored 3 goals in our past 4 games. I could see a trade happening for some offence before the trade freeze.

Habs 2nd in defense, 21st in offense.

Does he try and address offense now with a "Hockey Trade" costing Habs a quality player/prospect in return for quality, do a deadline deal for rental, or be smarter and go for a no-strings atached off season signing of UFA?

Does he try and address offense now with a "Hockey Trade" costing Habs a quality player/prospect in return for quality, do a deadline deal for rental, or be smarter and go for a no-strings atached off season signing of UFA?

There's the dilemma, eh! We should not give up youth or prospects for an older player, but I could handle doing so for one of those guys who is around 26 and whose team has lost patience with him (i.e., the Ribeiro scenario - which sounds like an action movie starring Matt Damon, I might add).

In pure hockey terms, we should be shopping Gionta IMHO. He is not scoring and his skill-set is redundant, and contenders looking for that extra piece would probably like to get him. But I know, I know, he has a "C" on his jersey so this is beyond the pale.

Teams might also have an interest in Briere, but I doubt that he would go. DD remains a long-shot to be sought after on the open market.

So, big question is are you willing to trade a 67-81-76-74-14-79-26-Tin-man-Beaulieu-Hudon-Collberg, "Quality" players/prospects, to improve offense/size/long term upgrade?

Or just bit/low-value players for low value add ons? Like Diaz, Gionta, Bourque, DD, whos return is likely not worth mentioning and/or boring and not excite anyone.

There is no such thing as a no strings attached UFA. The first string attached is the overpayment required for a UFA that takes up cap space. The second is the additional term required to sign a UFA (i.e. As giving 2 years to a washed up Breire and the flyers 4 or 5 years to a declining Vinney or the leafs giving 7 years to Clarkson). The third string is a the NTC/NMC required to entice UFA's.

Unless you are signing a stud Dmanundet 28 or an elite forward, most UFA signings are busts.

If you are an elite team feadline rentals are rolling the dice on team chemistry.

I'll take an old fashioned hockey deal. If we can get Kane without giving up Gally squared, Subban, Markov, maxpac, Eller, Price, Emelin and our two stud D prospects (Tinordi and Belieau) I'd make that deal.

I think we should try and move Gorges and while I love the versatility and all round play that Pleks brings, I think these are the two guys that can bring us the most return without mortgaging the future. I also think Eller can step into Pleks role.

Changes I do hope that MB does before the start of next year is dump Gionta (let him go via free agency), Bouillon, DD and Bourque.

We need goal scoring, and we need it now. For this team to move to the next level we need a sniper, I have not heard we have one in the pipeline so it will have to be by trade. I agree that rentals are expensive and ufa's are overrated. We will have to give up a player of quality and may a prospect to get a goal scorer but we have to have it or continue to take 2 steps forward 1 step back.

I still say Beaulieu is our most tradeable bluechip asset, and coupled with a 1st or second rounder, could get us something nice, especially from a team lacking defensive prospects of worth and have forwards to give.

I still say Beaulieu is our most tradeable bluechip asset, and coupled with a 1st or second rounder, could get us something nice, especially from a team lacking defensive prospects of worth and have forwards to give.

Has to come with another trade though cuz of cap space. But this is also the first trade option that I would consider beside moving the usual suspects DD/Gio/Diaz/Halak/Ryder/2nd pick...

• Upvote 1

I'd probably trade Eller before I trade Plekanec. Plek does everything. Plek can shut down the best player in the league. None of our centers have proven that. You remove Plekanec, you might eventually gain a better scorer once Eller and Galchenyuk get older but neither have shown they can play two way like him. It's like Chicago losing Sharp or Boston losing Bergeron, or LA before they acquired Mike Richards. It's a nice thought but Plekanec brings something other players can't and you can't replace.

I'd probably trade Eller before I trade Plekanec. Plek does everything. Plek can shut down the best player in the league. None of our centers have proven that. You remove Plekanec, you might eventually gain a better scorer once Eller and Galchenyuk get older but neither have shown they can play two way like him. It's like Chicago losing Sharp or Boston losing Bergeron, or LA before they acquired Mike Richards. It's a nice thought but Plekanec brings something other players can't and you can't replace.

Yep, that's what I have in mind too. I know Eller has an overall good reputation among habs fan but I think we should move him as soon as possible before others realize that he will never be the player he is being projected to. To build a true contender, it is necessary to anticipate others' expectation and try to win over their expectations' errors via trade. It might not be hard to find a GM out there that overvalues Eller. I think Edmonton may be a candidate.

Edited by comfortfablyHABS

Either Eller or Pleks would be snapped up and bring real value back. But that's because they are tremendous assets - Eller, mostly on potential (but he's had damned strong stretches), and Pleks, because he is the type of player who, if added to a contending team, could well make them Cup winners.

Plekanec is just so terribly underrated by Habs fans, it's scary. He's a player's player.

ComfortablyHABS makes an interesting point about Eller. But I'm not so sure he'll never fulfill his potential. And I have trouble seeing how trading this big, rangy C with skill who is 24 makes much sense on a rebuilding team. I guess if you get back one of Edmonton's blue-chippers, or something. Hard to figure without some idea of what the return might be. In a weird way, trading Pleks makes more sense because, first, you'd get more back (remember, you're giving the other team an outstanding asset) and second, because he's older. If you could get a serious young talent back - say a winger with 30-goal potential - well, that might wreck this year's team but it could yield dividends for the next decade. And I'm not so sure Eller couldn't grow to replace Pleks, more or less.

Not sure I'd do it, and I'm pretty sure MB won't, but it at least makes some sort of sense.