Dec. 31, Montreal vs Carolina, 7 PM

dlbalr

Doesn't he want to be GM, though? I dunno, I think we should stop fantasizing about Roy. If he comes it here it will presumably be as coach/GM (a risky configuration to say the least) and that means that the Bergevin era has been a disaster. Personally I prefer to imagine a future where Bergevin is still GM 10 years from now and has a track record of success, including at least one championship. ;)

Basically he is the GM now as far as players go. Joe handles the paperwork I think. Patrick seems to making all the personnel decisions. And NO Patrick is not coming to Montreal any time soon. In order for him to get fired in Colorado he would have to fork up real bad, and I don't think that is going to happen, if it did, we wouldn't want him then. Michel the bell is going to be fired next year, maybe sooner, then we will probably hire Guy Boucher cause the coach has to be francophone. I really hope that MB can get the roster upgraded quickly cause this is the year we need to unload some over the hill smurfs.

Why would MB look to Boucher? He was terrible in Tampa if I remember the players didn't like playing for him and had a mini revolt. is he even in coaching anymore?

because he is a french speaking coach who still has warm fuzzy feelings in Montreal. Ability is not the primary concern in Montreal, language is. There may be some sarcasm is these posts.

Why would MB look to Boucher? He was terrible in Tampa if I remember the players didn't like playing for him and had a mini revolt. is he even in coaching anymore?

A lot of Habs fans are clamoring for Boucher, especially the EOTP gang. I'm not sure why, because not only is he without a job, but the 1-3-1 trap he plays is Jacques Martin on steroids. Therrien is alright, he's keeping them competitive with only one first liner on the entire team, and a bunch of useless veterans who either don't have contracts now (Kaberle, Armstrong) or won't in the future (Parros, Murray, Bourque, Briere, Bouillon).

There really don't seem to be any plausible replacements for Therrien. Carbo and Boucher are the two most popular on the internet - and both were utter disasters and have never come close to being hired again. You do always have to factor in the ability to learn (I'll bet Boucher would be better on his second go-round), but really, those are two damned depressing options.

This is why MB stacked Hamilton with francophone coaches, of course. He recognized the need to create a home-grown pipeline of francophone coaching talent. It would not surprise me to learn that this has hurt us in Hamilton, but that's the price you pay for cleaving to a moronic affirmative action principle. Given this constraint, I think Bergevin did the right thing.

(And to this day I don't know why intensive French-language training is out of the question for an anglo coach. That never seems to come up as an option).

Perhaps by the time MT is out, Vigneault will be available? I thought Marc Crawford did a decent job with a mediocre lineup in Dallas and probably deserves another shot, but he has a whiff of "yesterday's man" about him, fair or not.

The whole discussion is premature anyway. There is absolutely zero reason to fire Therrien at this point. I find it insane that we're talking about it.

There really don't seem to be any plausible replacements for Therrien. Carbo and Boucher are the two most popular on the internet - and both were utter disasters and have never come close to being hired again. You do always have to factor in the ability to learn (I'll bet Boucher would be better on his second go-round), but really, those are two damned depressing options.

This is why MB stacked Hamilton with francophone coaches, of course. He recognized the need to create a home-grown pipeline of francophone coaching talent. It would not surprise me to learn that this has hurt us in Hamilton, but that's the price you pay for cleaving to a moronic affirmative action principle. Given this constraint, I think Bergevin did the right thing.

(And to this day I don't know why intensive French-language training is out of the question for an anglo coach. That never seems to come up as an option).

Perhaps by the time MT is out, Vigneault will be available? I thought Marc Crawford did a decent job with a mediocre lineup in Dallas and probably deserves another shot, but he has a whiff of "yesterday's man" about him, fair or not.

The whole discussion is premature anyway. There is absolutely zero reason to fire Therrien at this point. I find it insane that we're talking about it.

You are of course right about Therrien but he does not have a huge fan following, and it is just fun to fire him.

Yes, Gallant will do well in a couple years.

If 24CH is any guide, he is much more comprehensible than Therrien, whose English is pretty iffy and probably leaves the Euro players kinda confused. It's a good thought.